Honored Twice by the Hall of Fame

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JuggernautJ

Honored Twice by the Hall of Fame

Post by JuggernautJ »

NFL.com today features an article by Scott Pioli suggesting Ozzie Newsome be inducted into the Hall of Fame a second time for his for his work in the Ravens front office. (Of course, Ozzie is already in the HoF for his time as a player in the NFL.)

We've previously discussed here how, especially in the initial 1963 class, individuals were inducted for more than one role during their time in the NFL. Curly Lambeau and Jimmy Conzelman, for instance, are inducted as both players and coaches (and contributors).Even (shudder) Walt Kiesling carries a dual recognition.

And we've wondered if, should it come to pass, how someone like Dan Reeves might be designated by the Hall of Fame.
In our HoVG Reeves is mentioned as both a player and a coach (this is just an example; please don't let this thread devolve into whether Reeves is a HoF player).

But there is no process (of which I am aware) to add an additional area of expertise to an existing enshrinee.
Though I think Ozzie is probably worthy of a contributor spot I would hate to see another potentially worthy candidate set aside to recognize someone a second time (not that the HoF does a great job with contributors but still...).

Should there be a way to add a category to a HoF player who later excelled in another capacity in pro football?
If Ozzie Newsome's contributions as a GM (etc.) are worthy of a contributor slot how should he be recognized a second time?

From Scott Pioli's article:
https://www.nfl.com/news/former-ravens- ... o-football

I strongly believe Ozzie should be the first person inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame TWICE, with the second ceremony honoring his trailblazing work in Baltimore's front office. He truly deserves it -- there's no debate to be had.

Newsome's accomplishments as a Ravens executive are monumental. Here are just a few (I could be here all day if I went through the whole list): He was the first African American general manager in the NFL and built two Super Bowl-winning teams (XXXV and XLVII). Under his watch between 1996 and 2018, the Ravens had the fourth-most playoff wins and the second-highest playoff win percentage of any team. He acquired 38 Pro Bowlers and 17 All-Pros, including six Hall of Famers, three of whom he drafted (Jonathan Ogden, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed).
Last edited by JuggernautJ on Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian wolf

Re: A Second Bust in Canton

Post by Brian wolf »

Getting elected is enough ... Bucko Kilroy is still awaiting his chance. If Art Rooney Jr gets elected, I will scream as well. Enough with the nepotism.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Brian wolf wrote:Getting elected is enough ... Bucko Kilroy is still awaiting his chance. If Art Rooney Jr gets elected, I will scream as well. Enough with the nepotism.
Agreed.
But please don't change the subject...
;)

(Or are you saying Newsome's case as a GM is somehow related to nepotism?)

Edit: Oh, I see. You mean getting elected once is enough... so you don't think a second "enshrinement" is ever warranted?
Is there no way to recognize further (Hall of Fame worthy) contributions after being a HoF player?
What if (impossible example, I know) Mike Ditka had won two more championships as the Bears head coach? How would that be recognized?

Again, I am not saying to use a "slot" in the induction process for such recognition.
But rather wondering how an additional category might be added to someone already enshrined.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

No sweat, just dont like nepotism for the HOF ... one team owner is enough. Back to the subject, whether player, coach, scout, executive, etc ... Once elected, that should be enough so other deserving candidates get their chance ... Newsome getting ANOTHER bust, takes from someone else, I believe.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

JuggernautJ wrote:I strongly believe Ozzie should be the first person inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame TWICE, with the second ceremony honoring his trailblazing work in Baltimore's front office. He truly deserves it -- there's no debate to be had.[/i]
Oh, he TRULY deserves it. I was skeptical before, but that convinced me. And in case I still had even the hint of a doubt, he covered that with "There's no debate to be had." How old is this guy, anyway? 14?

I do think Newsome has done a good job as a general manager, but I don't think anybody needs to be inducted into the Hall of Fame twice.

In fact, I truly think that, and there's no debate to be had. And just to be safe, I'll add this: Case closed.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Yeah, as deserving as Ozzie may be, I don't think anybody really needs to be inducted twice. I guess some formal recognition could be given, but I have no suggestions as to what that might entail.

Apropos of nothing (but maybe kinda related), I just read a really good Bob Hope biography where the author mentioned Hope received five honorary Oscars during his career. I think just one covering all of his good works and bad jokes would've sufficed, but that's just me.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

JuggernautJ wrote: Should there be a way to add a category to a HoF player who later excelled in another capacity in pro football?
If Ozzie Newsome's contributions as a GM (etc.) are worthy of a contributor slot how should he be recognized a second time?
JuggernautJ wrote: Again, I am not saying to use a "slot" in the induction process for such recognition.
But rather wondering how an additional category might be added to someone already enshrined.
I will alter the name of the thread to better reflect what I am asking...
What if, for instance, Mike Ditka had become the second coming of Lombardi and won 3 Super Bowls? As someone already in the HoF as a player how would they add the title of "Head Coach" to his resume on Canton.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

JuggernautJ wrote:I will alter the name of the thread to better reflect what I am asking...
What if, for instance, Mike Ditka had become the second coming of Lombardi and won 3 Super Bowls? As someone already in the HoF as a player how would they add the title of "Head Coach" to his resume on Canton.
Well, as far as that goes, sure, they ought to edit whatever it says on his plaque to reflect the extra layer of accomplishments. And they could do that for Newsome, too. I don't see any objection to that.
ChrisBabcock

Re: Honored Twice by the Hall of Fame

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Mike Ditka was who I thought of when reading the initial posts in this thread. I remember the year he was inducted as a player (whenever that was) his head coaching career with the Bears was in full swing and this very subject DID cross my mind back then. Do they just add to his bio when his coaching career is done... assuming that "second" career is HOF worthy?
Back to Ozzie... he DID do an excellent job as Ravens GM. Worthy of consideration for the contributor (*shudder*) category. Maybe if this discussion gets enough traction, the Hall can make some sort of bylaw amendment that if a HOF player moves on to a second career as a coach or GM, that career may be worthy of "Hall consideration" and his candidancy can move through all the proper channels as other contributor candidates, but if he gets voted in (again), he just gets his official bio amended adding on his post playing career accomplishments.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Bob Gill wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:I strongly believe Ozzie should be the first person inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame TWICE, with the second ceremony honoring his trailblazing work in Baltimore's front office. He truly deserves it -- there's no debate to be had.[/i]
Oh, he TRULY deserves it. I was skeptical before, but that convinced me. And in case I still had even the hint of a doubt, he covered that with "There's no debate to be had." How old is this guy, anyway? 14?

I do think Newsome has done a good job as a general manager, but I don't think anybody needs to be inducted into the Hall of Fame twice.

In fact, I truly think that, and there's no debate to be had. And just to be safe, I'll add this: Case closed.
I remember that after Scott Pioli was demonstrated to be a total sham in Kansas City, ESPN hired Pioli to be some type of draft analyst or something. When Pioli first appeared on the screen, they listed a few of his 'credentials', with one of them being "Earned the 1st overall pick for the Chiefs in 2012". You can't make this stuff up.

I would rather just recognize Newsome's existing HOF display with a note about his GM role. Maybe say 'compiled 205-178-1 record as high-ranking executive' or something. He's a fine GM, but I'm not really seeing anything HOFish in his resume. 24 years, 6 division titles. That's nice, but not really sustained excellence. If they do enshrine him again, does he get another bust that shows him looking older?