2024 Coach/Contributors semis

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Brian wolf

Re: 2024 Coach/Contributors semis

Post by Brian wolf »

Not sure of the details to the lengthy votes and meeting yesterday but saluting the voters that corrected this wrong ... was Kraft or someone else the runner-up? What will happen first, Kraft getting election or firing Bill Belichick?
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Brian wolf wrote:Not sure of the details to the lengthy votes and meeting yesterday but saluting the voters that corrected this wrong ... was Kraft or someone else the runner-up? What will happen first, Kraft getting election or firing Bill Belichick?
Clark Judge presented Parker last year but did not attend the meeting. Someone else presented and apparently did a good job. Kraft was eliminated before the final three but Hall yet to release full details.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks John ...
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Pleasantly surprised to hear of Parker's election. Very deserving, despite what Broncos and Patriots fans may be saying on Twitter.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

conace21 wrote:Pleasantly surprised to hear of Parker's election. Very deserving, despite what Broncos and Patriots fans may be saying on Twitter.
With Parker out of the way ... now the people who have been close last couple of years will fight it out ... Kraft, Holmgren ... Hall hasn't yet released reduction votes this year
but assume they will ... guessing owner(s) and coaches will soak up oxygen ... thinking scout-types going to have a tougher time.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

something tells me kraft wont be elected within the next couple of years
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

rewing84 wrote:something tells me kraft wont be elected within the next couple of years
You could be right...I sure don't know. There is backlash already for Kraft being the "s-word"
snubbed...but not telling. I thought he'd be the guy today. Parker's presenter from last year wasn't there
yesterday so I didn't think he was going to make it. So I was pleasantly surprised.

But the backlash -- and it won't stop Parker -- is that he quit on his team in August, twice..leaving
Lions and Steelers in lurch ... and the drama involved both times...kind of power struggle with players
in Det and with Rooneys in Pitt.

One of the finalists was in Pitt in 1965 so knows the story. The old "well let me tell you what ..."
stuff ... but Parker will still get the 40 yes votes ... but there will be questions from a couple of
the full panel the presenter will have to answer on that.

As far as Kraft...I'd lean towards him again for Class of 2025...but I got this year wrong...so not like I know
the committee may not follow this year's queue and vote more like 2023...anyway, just talking out loud here.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

There are negatives about Parker, which I have detailed like John but I also agree he will be elected. Its ironic that Parker's first and last chances to win a division title--in 1951 with Detroit and 1963 with Pitts--ended with losses to a YA Tittle quarterbacked team ...

Despite not winning the eastern division with Layne in 1962 for Pittsburgh, Parker had to have had satisfaction winning 9 games after a 3-4 start ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good thing Mike Florio didnt vote for a contributor ... Parker wouldnt have made it. He felt Shanahan, Holmgren and Kraft were more deserving, why? "Its unclear why any of them took a backseat to Parker. He didnt get in, when those from his era got in. If he didnt get in then, why is he getting in now?" ... Are you kidding me?

More from Florio -- "One of the major problems with the entire selection process is there is too much of an effort to clean up past messes, giving spots to guys who were previously overlooked, for whatever reason. But whatever the reason, they didnt get in. The game moves on." ... Yes, the game moves on, but the injustices shouldnt. Wrongs in voting need to be righted. Florio doesnt understand that more "messes" need to be cleaned up, instead of the selection process having a modern player bias. He is entitled to his opinion like anyone else but other voters share his opinion as well, which is why players like Dilweg, Lewellen, Emerson, Benton, Wistert, Barwegen, Brito, Patton, Shofner, Howton and others fall through the cracks and get ignored instead of being heard and reevaluated for their great careers. Some wont get elected but they deserve to be heard.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

Brian wolf wrote:Good thing Mike Florio didnt vote for a contributor ... Parker wouldnt have made it. He felt Shanahan, Holmgren and Kraft were more deserving, why? "Its unclear why any of them took a backseat to Parker. He didnt get in, when those from his era got in. If he didnt get in then, why is he getting in now?" ... Are you kidding me?

More from Florio -- "One of the major problems with the entire selection process is there is too much of an effort to clean up past messes, giving spots to guys who were previously overlooked, for whatever reason. But whatever the reason, they didnt get in. The game moves on." ... Yes, the game moves on, but the injustices shouldnt. Wrongs in voting need to be righted. Florio doesnt understand that more "messes" need to be cleaned up, instead of the selection process having a modern player bias. He is entitled to his opinion like anyone else but other voters share his opinion as well, which is why players like Dilweg, Lewellen, Emerson, Benton, Wistert, Barwegen, Brito, Patton, Shofner, Howton and others fall through the cracks and get ignored instead of being heard and reevaluated for their great careers. Some wont get elected but they deserve to be heard.
Great post Bryan, I totally agree. I was very pleased to read this morning that Buddy Parker had become a finalist (terrific article about him at Pro Football Journal). Mike Florio's take is troubling to say the least but probably not all that uncommon these days, especially with those who cringe whenever they see black and white film footage.