Jay Fiedler

74_75_78_79_

Jay Fiedler

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

What are all your takes on his career? His time with Miami, specifically? Marino's successor, Wanny's QB during those early-'00s winning years. Last Dolphin QB to win a post-season game (and he did so vs...Peyton; yes, #18 was still ISO his first playoff win, but still).

Wouldn't call him "best" Dolphin QB since Dan. 2008 Chad Pennington would have to get that title with Tua ready to take over any second now. And there was an old '100 worst QBs' thread that had his name mentioned amongst many. Call him a sub-mediocre QB, I guess, but I'm not sure Jay should be historically mentioned at all on any "worst" discussions. A starting QB for three-straight winning teams (the first two of those being playoff-qualifiers) and not having the most ugly stats has to be doing something right.
Bryan

Re: Jay Fiedler

Post by Bryan »

I remember back when "Sporting News Radio" existed, they had a catchy jingle that went something like "Mr. Jay Fiedler....you're a loser....Mr. Jay Fiedler.....you suck..."

Fiedler wasn't terrible, but he was consistently mediocre. Usually a mediocre starting QB in the NFL is inconsistent...flashes of brilliance that makes you think they can be a good starter, followed by bad games...like Lynn Dickey or Gary Danielson. Fiedler never 'flashed'. Like ever. He played 10 years, started 65 games, and threw for over 300 yards 4 times, with a high-water mark of 328 yards. I find that to be astoundingly bad.

Miami won because of their defense and Ricky Williams...I can only recall one time when Fielder actually helped his team win a game, and it was some wild last-second comeback against the Broncos on SNF. But when I look at the boxscore...the 4th quarter was a Ricky Williams TD run, a Patrick Surtain INT TD, and a long FG by Olindo Mare to win the game. Fiedler's statline was 19-29-210-0-1 INT. Even when he was good, he still kind of sucked.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Bryan wrote:I remember back when "Sporting News Radio" existed, they had a catchy jingle that went something like "Mr. Jay Fiedler....you're a loser....Mr. Jay Fiedler.....you suck..."
I remember his NFL Primetime nickname: Jay Fiedler (On The Roof)
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

He was a gutsy get er done QB. Had a bit of Jim Harbaugh in him. Late start to his career as a starter...was looked upon as a fringe guy where you're winning with him but at the same time wondering who you're going to replace him with.

I remember 05 with the Jets he was already 34 and suffered a shoulder injury which likely what ended his career
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

What's funny is that the Dolphin GM at the time (Rick Spielman?) said that they didn't want Brees in the draft because they thought that he wasn't much better than Fiedler (if at all).
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

I first remember him with the Amsterdam Admirals, where he was wasn't good, interchangeable with Mike McCoy (yes, the coach) who I thought was even slightly better than Fiedler for them.

Then thought of him as the next and another #11 Jags backup who played a random game and got a starting job somewhere else. Also, back then it made me immediately think if Jonathan Quinn or Jamie Martin (coincidentally also a former Amsterdam Admiral) had wore #11 in-between Johnson & Fiedler that whichever one of them did would have got a random starting job somewhere, too.

Fiedler was good at handing the ball off in Miami, though.

Also was a scrappy runner, when scared to throw an int, duck the head and run for a few yards and take the hits.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Never thought I'd see Jay Fiedler brought up in conversation. All I have to say about Jay Fiedler is that I have him 5th down the line for QBs for the All-Time Greatest Dolphins (after. . .you know which two and then Earl Morrall and Ryan Tannehill). Other than that I don't see Jay Fiedler being worthy of much debate.