Mel Kiper for the HOF?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

Mel Kiper for the HOF?

Post by JohnTurney »

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2023/0 ... ll-of-fame

ESPN Executive Says Mel Kiper Jr. Should Be in Pro Football Hall of Fame

As ESPN’s lead NFL draft analyst for nearly four decades, Mel Kiper Jr. has carved out a indelible legacy that’s established him as an institution in the sports world. In fact, in the eyes of one of ESPN’s top executives, Kiper’s contributions to the game of football are worthy enough to land him a spot in the hallowed halls of Canton, Ohio.
I think I know what the consensus will be, but thoughts?
ChrisBabcock

Re: Mel Kiper for the HOF?

Post by ChrisBabcock »

:shock:
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

This is the end of civilization as we know it...
Perhaps the "End of Days".

Too bad there isn't a "vomit smiley" on this forum...
(I wouldn't even vote for him for the HoVG... until about 300 other guys were recognized)

Wow...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

No to the Hall of course but very big for ESPN and championing popularity of the draft. He gave a voice and pizazz to lower round draft picks with good information and analysis which helped motivate underrated players to achieve more than many fans realized, yet the draft inevitably became too overhyped, where many high round picks are far more busts or underachievers, than when ESPN first started giving more coverage and recognition to these players ...
Last edited by Brian wolf on Fri May 05, 2023 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Brian wolf wrote:No to the Hall of course but very big for ESPN and championing popularity of the draft. He gave a voice and pizazz to lower round draft picks with good information and analysis which helped motivate underrated players to achieve more than many fans realized, yet the draft inevitably became too overhyped, where many high round picks are for more busts or underachievers, than when ESPN first started giving more coverage and recognition to these players ...
I think the HOF Pete Rozelle Radio-Television Award - "for longtime exceptional contributions to radio and television in professional football" would be very appropriate.

The article (link posted) argues that he had more to do with the beginning of the TV draft than he did. He was hired in 1984, I watched in 1981, we didn't have cable in 1980. But it is fair to say all the things you did--he improved it . . . popularized it.

They are going with a twist of the "he changed the game" argument. I don't think that's true. Changed draft coverage? Yes.
Many critics are going after him for his big misses---that part shouldn't matter, IMO. No one can be too accurate on the draft.
NFL executives blow high-round picks every year so he's sometimes/often? just aping what information he gets.

My bottom line—
Bust? No.
Rozelle Award? Yes.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

JohnTurney wrote: I think the HOF Pete Rozelle Radio-Television Award - "for longtime exceptional contributions to radio and television in professional football" would be very appropriate.
If that's what you meant by "in the Hall" then sure...
I can see how his contributions to the popularity of the Draft (and therefore of the League) and fans understanding of the same might be worthy of such an award.
He is "deserving" in the same way Jerry Jones is... I guess...

I would be stunned if he were voted into the "Main Hall".
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

He's a bozo, but he has helped make the draft into the extravaganza it is now. The Rozelle honor wouldn't be out of line for people like him or Joel Buchsbaum.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

I think the draft jumped the shark when it moved from the weekend to primetime. Suddenly they had to appeal to a mass audience of soccer mom's, 6-year olds and guys who only watch the super bowl. Now between picks it's not player highlights but interviews with the players mom. They are nice stories but I tune in to learn about the football player not how thrilled their family is.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Citizen wrote:He's a bozo, but he has helped make the draft into the extravaganza it is now. The Rozelle honor wouldn't be out of line for people like him or Joel Buchsbaum.
And Joel should get the Rozelle before Kiper - just because he did the draft stuff before Kiper, plus he was a good writer. He didn't do TV because he was not blessed
physically to look good on TV. He didn't have a good voice, either, but still did weekly radio.

I have nominated him, Merv Corning, Blair Buswell and Seymour Siwoff for the Ralph Hay Pioneer Award (Formerly the Dan Reeves Award) but they only give that one out every few years...so they've never had a chance.

Not that there is a contributor slot for the HOF Siwoff would be worth considering - but voters more concerned with putting another Rooney in.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JohnTurney wrote:They are going with a twist of the "he changed the game" argument. I don't think that's true. Changed draft coverage? Yes.
Many critics are going after him for his big misses---that part shouldn't matter, IMO. No one can be too accurate on the draft.
NFL executives blow high-round picks every year so he's sometimes/often? just aping what information he gets.

My bottom line—
Bust? No.
Rozelle Award? Yes.
I'm not even sure if Kiper changed draft coverage. ESPN started televising the NFL draft, and as the NFL grew in popularity so did interest in the NFL draft. If Kiper never existed, would the NFL draft be as popular as it is right now? I think yes.

Before he was on TV, Kiper was one of a few people who carved out a small niche of providing information on upcoming draftees. That is Kiper's only tangible contribution to the sport, and I'm not even sure how to really classify it. He was interested in the NFL draft before most other people....ok? If I saw Big Brother and the Holding Company perform in 1966 and wrote a review about them saying that Janis Joplin will be the next superstar, should I be enshrined in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame?

I think his big misses matter in the sense of that is Kiper's schtick. If he didn't hype up his 'hits', even less people would listen to him. NFL execs get 1 pick each round, Kiper gets 32. Its not like Kiper has revolutionized scouting or player evaluation. I have yet to meet anyone associated with the NFL who respects Kiper, so I think him receiving any award would be an interesting development.