Nicknames of Defensive Teams

LeonardRachiele

Nicknames of Defensive Teams

Post by LeonardRachiele »

The first notable defense was the New York Giants in the 1956 NFL Championship Game.  The Giants defeated the Chicago Bears 47 to 7 at Yankee Stadium  Every time the the Giants defense left the field, the crowd gave them a standing ovation.  Prior to the this game, all big stars were on offense.  Fans called it the Giants defense with no fancy name.  Here are the rest and I have tried to go in chronological order.  The first thing we think of is the lineman but other positions deserve recognition.

My two favorites are first:

Gang Green or the Green Curtain-Philadelphia Eagles in the early 90s.  Seth Joyner, Reggie White, Bob Golic, Mike Pitts, Bryon Evans, and Jerome Brown.

Steel Curtain-Pittsburgh Steelers from 1972 to 1979.  Joe Green, Dwight White,  Ernie Holmes,  Steve Furness, Jack Ham, and Jack Lambert.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fearsome Foursome-Los Angeles Rams 1961 to 1970.   LA traded John LoVetere to the New York Giants for Roosevelt Grier after the 1962 season.  Both players belong on the Fearsome Foursome.  The others were Roger Brown, Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones, and Lamar Lundy.

Doomsday-Dallas Cowboys 1970 to 1979.  Bob Lilly, Jethro Pugh, George Andre, Chuck Howley, Lee Roy Jordan.

No Name-Miami Dolphins  1971 to 1974.  Vern Den Herder, Manny Fernandez, Bill Stanfill, and Nick Buoniconti.  We think mostly of Buoniconti from his beer commercials and as a television analyst.

Mighty Monsters of the Midway-Chicago Bears-This title seemed to come and go in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.  Doug Atkins, Joe Fortunato, Ed O'Bradovich, Dick Butkus, Doug Buffone, and Bill George.

Sack Pack-Baltimore Colts. 1975 to 1979. Fred Cook, John Dutton, and Ron Fernandez.

New York Sack Exchange-New York Jets of the early 80s. Joe Klecko, Mark Gastineau, Abdul Salaam, and Stan Blinka.
RRMarshall

Re: Nicknames of Defensive Teams

Post by RRMarshall »

The Gold Rush-1976 SF 49ners -Tommy Hart, Cedric Hardman, Cleveland Elam, Jimmy Webb. A total of 50 sacks
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Possibly not as well known outside of western New York... The early 80s Bills trio of Fred Smerlas, Jim Haslett and Shane Nelson was known as the Bermuda Triangle. When people entered, they never came out. :D
ehaight

Post by ehaight »

Eleven Angry Men - Late 1960s Raiders
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

RRMarshall wrote:The Gold Rush-1976 SF 49ners -Tommy Hart, Cedric Hardman, Cleveland Elam, Jimmy Webb. A total of 50 sacks
Followed by Detroit's Silver Rush, also coached by Monte Clark. Doug English and Bubba Baker were on that line. Also I think William Gay and Dave Puriforey.

Also, Falcons Gritz Blitz - still one of the lowest point totals per game in NFL history I believe.

Of course, the Purple People Eaters is one more.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

ehaight wrote:Eleven Angry Men - Late 1960s Raiders
Here are nuggets for you 6 degrees of separation geeks. I worked on Dan Birdwell's cousin's (Jan Birdwell) ranch for four years... AND I once soaked in a hot tub w/ one of Ben Davidson's daughters. When I got too fresh she head butted me. (This last part isn't true, but wouldn't that be perfect?)
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:Possibly not as well known outside of western New York... The early 80s Bills trio of Fred Smerlas, Jim Haslett and Shane Nelson was known as the Bermuda Triangle. When people entered, they never came out. :D
I remember that. Also, in 1988, when the Bills had a good defense, a nickname that they used was the Blizzard Defense.
JohnTurney

Legion of Boom

Post by JohnTurney »

Legion of Boom is more recent but in looking at their numbers from 2012 to about 2017 they were at top of a lot of pass defense
numbers
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Even in 2011, this young Seahawks defense was flying to the ball from great draft classes by Shneider and Carroll ... The emerging Legion Of Boom just needed a QB to help Lynch at RB take them to the top. I still feel Sherman, Thomas and later Wagner will make the HOF, could Lynch and Wilson on offense join them?
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

The Detroit Lions front four of Darris McCord, Bill Glass, Roger Brown, and Alex Karras were being called the Fearsome Foursome in 1960-61.