2023 Hall of Very Good Nominations

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Gary Najman

Re: 2023 Hall of Very Good Nominations

Post by Gary Najman »

sheajets wrote:Marvin Powell
George Andrie
Ray Childress
Gill Byrd
Ahman Green
Ahman Green is not eligible now, the players last season has to be 1997 (Boomer Esiason, Steve Tasker and Herschel Walker, among others, are eligible for the first time).
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Gary Najman wrote:
sheajets wrote:Marvin Powell
George Andrie
Ray Childress
Gill Byrd
Ahman Green
Ahman Green is not eligible now, the players last season has to be 1997 (Boomer Esiason, Steve Tasker and Herschel Walker, among others, are eligible for the first time).
Ah got it. Thank you.

Ahman Green OUT. Replaced by Gary Clark.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

sheajets wrote: Replaced by Gary Clark.
A John Madden guy--always making key catches, IMO would rather
have him than Monk
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

JohnTurney wrote:
have him than Monk
Yea I always liked and respected him as a player. In the seasons their careers overlapped sometimes Clark had the better year, sometimes Monk (have to factor age and injuries too) but they were very close in terms of productivity. Monk just happened to play for ages...but he rarely seemed to string great seasons together, only led the NFL in receptions once, never in yards, never in TD's (never even had a season of double digit TD's). Only 3 Pro Bowls. Clark made 4 Pro Bowls in five fewer seasons
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

sluggermatt15 wrote:Thank you for everything you do for the board. I agree it takes more than one person to spread the word.
Thanks J. I appreciate it. And thanks for your work on HOVG (Having written a bio and seeing first hand how hard it is to fit everything within the word count limit and get it done by the due date, I probably have a deeper appreciation than most now :)).

Despite my complaining about just being one person, I hopefully have a CC article coming out within the next 2-3 issues that is going to mention a lot of not just pre-War, but pre-NFL players. Its on the long side, but even just skimming it should provide some familiarity with the best players dating back to pro football's origins. I also submitted my 5 HOVG nominations just now. I'll wait and see if I get any replacements before I post them.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote:Thank you for everything you do for the board. I agree it takes more than one person to spread the word.
Thanks J. I appreciate it. And thanks for your work on HOVG (Having written a bio and seeing first hand how hard it is to fit everything within the word count limit and get it done by the due date, I probably have a deeper appreciation than most now :)).

Despite my complaining about just being one person, I hopefully have a CC article coming out within the next 2-3 issues that is going to mention a lot of not just pre-War, but pre-NFL players. Its on the long side, but even just skimming it should provide some familiarity with the best players dating back to pro football's origins. I also submitted my 5 HOVG nominations just now. I'll wait and see if I get any replacements before I post them.
You're welcome. By the way, I did receive your 2023 HOVG nominations. :)

Have you considered writing for the biography committee? You can write full length bios between 1,000 to 4,000 words, which is a greater window than the shorter HOVG bios. The bio you wrote on Tony Latone is magnificent.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I can't believe I messed up Matt and J again. Sorry Matt - when I see your handle my brain transposes it to JuggernautJ. Thanks for the kind words on the Latone bio. I definitely like working on them, but I can't sign up right now for the bio project because I'm really committed to this other project trying to identify the best pre-NFL players on a season by season basis. The good news is the first article is done, but there isn't much of a dent in the second one yet as I'm only on 1906.

I wound up nominating:

Backs
John Gammons
Ed Young
Jack McBride

Linemen
George Christensen -> I was able to get a placement here and nominated Herman Kerkhoff
Bob Shiring
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

JohnTurney wrote:
have him than Monk
Agreed. Clark came up with the big play
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I like Clark as well but thought Monk was slightly more clutch in the postseason, especially losses, where he was the only player making plays for the team ... Deserving of the HOF or not, Monk was a very smooth big receiver who stayed in great shape ...
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Brian wolf wrote:I like Clark as well but thought Monk was slightly more clutch in the postseason, especially losses, where he was the only player making plays for the team ... .
cannot speak about all the games but in a couple he caught passes in the 2nd half of games, a couple of which were out of hand...in watching them didn't look like it was that clutch to me. But you may see it differently.

I think in general he had good postseason games---but a few of his big-number games were more softer defenses-type catches...down 10-14 points or whatever. Other games that were not big number-games he was a key to them winning...so not saying he wasn't "clutch" just suggesting that a couple of the 100-yard games really weren't - they were playing catchup.

I think both had decent postseason records...not Rice-like but neither one superior to the other, at least from my eye test. Others will see it differently, I am sure.

Both excellent, but if I had to pick one, it'd be Clark . . .