2023 Hall of Very Good Nominations

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JuggernautJ

2023 Hall of Very Good Nominations

Post by JuggernautJ »

Hi All,
The nomination process for this year's class of the Hall of Very Good is now officially open.
Nominations close on June 30th of this year.

To be eligible to nominate you must be a member in good standing of the PFRA.

To be eligible for nomination you must have last been in professional football in the 1997 season.
(Anyone who played/coached/etc. from 1998 to current is not yet eligible.)

Please send up to 5 nominations to Matt Keddie at: sluggermatt15@yahoo.com
Brian wolf

Re: 2023 Hall of Very Good Nominations

Post by Brian wolf »

Haha ... I am all about diversity, inclusion, transparency ... and older players that are deserving of due recognition ...

George Andrie
Don Doll
Eddie Price
Ray Krouse
John Cannady
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I've nominated Eddie Price before, but he didn't get past the committee. I think the biggest oversight continues to be George Christensen.

Whereas the '20s all-decade team is kind of a mess, the '30s is solid and he made that. In terms of postseason honors, he played from '31 to '38 and has honors from at least one organization his first 6 seasons.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I think this is the year Christensen will get his due, though I nominated others. Hoping that someone nominates an assistant coach like Arnsparger but if not, I will next year. More career assistants are due.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Brian wolf wrote:I think this is the year Christensen will get his due, though I nominated others. Hoping that someone nominates an assistant coach like Arnsparger but if not, I will next year. More career assistants are due.
On the subject of assistants, my first choice might be Richie Petitbon. And unlike Arnsparger, he was a very good player too. Basically the same career as Dick LeBeau, but without any cronies pushing for him.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

I'm going to stick with the five I emailed but I left Coy Bacon off. :oops:
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Earl Faison
Leon Gray
Kent Hull
Marvin Powell
Mike Stratton
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Great group Chris ... I feel Gray and Hull should already be in the HOF but fell through the cracks.
If any Bills player might be punished for losing the SB games its Hull. He helped make that offense go but voters may feel five members to the Hall is enough with Hull, Bennett and Tasker on the outside. Even Smerlas helped change their culture but missed the SBs ...
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Brian wolf wrote:Great group Chris ... I feel Gray and Hull should already be in the HOF but fell through the cracks.
If any Bills player might be punished for losing the SB games its Hull. He helped make that offense go but voters may feel five members to the Hall is enough with Hull, Bennett and Tasker on the outside. Even Smerlas helped change their culture but missed the SBs ...
Matt informed me that someone beat me to nominating Faison and Powell. When I get home from work I've got to take a look at my "should be in the HOVG" list and pick two replacements. :D
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

ChrisBabcock wrote:Matt informed me that someone beat me to nominating Faison and Powell. When I get home from work I've got to take a look at my "should be in the HOVG" list and pick two replacements. :D
@JuggernautJ, I know it hasn't even been a month yet, but would you be able to post a nomination list?

I was trying to put my 5 together and was wondering if anyone nominated George Christensen yet? Players like him, Faison, and others who have been finalists several years in a row probably get nominated pretty quick... Not trying to make extra work for you, but its helpful to know which players don't need a nomination from me because they already have one. Thanks.