Class Of 2023 PFHOF

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Brian wolf

Class Of 2023 PFHOF

Post by Brian wolf »

Thomas
Z Thomas
Revis
Ware
R Barber
HOWLEY
Riley
Klecko
Coryell

CONGRATULATIONS !!

7 Defensive players ... 3 Corners ... 2 Cowboys elected
Brian wolf

Re: Class Of 2023 PFHOF

Post by Brian wolf »

3 overall linebackers as well ... Edge Ware, Outside Howley, Inside Z Thomas
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Some observations...
- Not only none of the WRs in waiting but no "skill position" guys. Either Holt/Wayne/Johnson are cancelling each other out or the voters are seeing how WR stats are exploding these days and asking... were these guys really THAT great?
- it is about time for Zach Thomas! Not sure what took so long.
- Great to see Howley in.
- Klecko seems like an "inner circle" HOVG to me. Again, this concept has been discussed before, did his career somehow become "greater" in the last 25 years?
- is it just me or are these large 8 or 9 guys classes getting tiresome. When will we have 1000 people in the hall? In 40 years?
Last edited by ChrisBabcock on Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

ChrisBabcock wrote:Some observations...

- Klecko seems like an "inner circle" HOVG to me. Again, this concept has been discussed before, did his career somehow become "greater" in the last 25 years?
Gary Myers--his first year on senior committee--Klecko was his pet project... and he was successful
racepug

Post by racepug »

Zach Thomas - more individual honors (at least as a Dolphin) than Nick Buoniconti. As a result I kinda wonder what took so long for him to get in, as well.

Klecko - I have no opinion on whether or not he's truly PFHoF-worthy but I know that in another thread on this forum someone realized at some point that once Joe Klecko was gone from the Jets' lineup Mark Gastineau didn't get as many sacks.

Howley - a little before my time but I remember seeing a comment (probably from a fan of that team based in TX) several years ago to the effect of: "If Dave Wilcox is in the H.o.F. then certainly Chuck Howley should be" implying that Howley was even better. If so I don't know why it took Chuck Howley so much longer to make it into the PFHoF than it did Dave Wilcox. Especially considering the level of success Chuck Howley's teams had compared to those of Dave Wilcox (maybe that's it - "Cowboys fatigue" or whatever you want to call it).
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Did you agree or were okay with at least 4 of the 9 candidates, Andy Piascik ?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Though many, if not most 1st Ballot HOF players are considered the best of the best, sometimes even the distinction of getting into the Hall Of Fame on a players first attempt, doesnt hide the fact that some fans expected more.

Darrelle Revis got elected first ballot which doesnt surprise me but his career did. I actually thought Revis could have had an even better career had an injury, and then departure to another team in 2013, not changed everything.

Maybe the Jets should have taken better care of him and did everything to hold onto him but both sides were just exhausted. Revis was good with TB but not dominant after returning from injury. He found his way in NE in 2014 and helped the Patriots and QB Tom Brady win their first championship since 2005. One of the best one-year free agent signings in NFL history, Patriots head coach Bill Belichick decided not to resign him in 2015 and Revis took the money while coming back to the New York Jets.

In my view, his hunger for the game slowly started going away however, as Revis disappointed the last three seasons of his career. Like former Jet, George Sauer Jr. of another era, Revis was never the same after winning a SB and disappointed a fan like myself who wondered if his career might have been better had he just never left the Big Apple ?
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

JohnTurney wrote:

Gary Myers--his first year on senior committee--Klecko was his pet project... and he was successful
Everson Walls is another one he is pushing. With Cowboys players as seniors candidates three of the last four years (Howley, Pearson, Harris), what are Walls' chances?
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Ken Crippen wrote:
JohnTurney wrote:

Everson Walls is another one he is pushing. With Cowboys players as seniors candidates three of the last four years (Howley, Pearson, Harris), what are Walls' chances?
Seems like they should be pretty good given that logic. I don't see Walls as a HOFer though. I'd rather see a guy like Lemar Parrish, especially since Ken Riley was just inducted. If you put Riley in, why not Parrish? He was just as good, if not better.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

My stance...

Joe Thomas, definitely a first-ballot choice in my eyes;
Darelle Revis, I think he is a HOFer, one of the top defensive backs during his playing days. I am a Pitt alumnus so it's great to see another Panther in;
Zach Thomas, I didn't watch him play too much, but okay. He has been a finalist for some time now;
DeMarcus Ware, outstanding linebacker, totally feel he is a HOFer;
Ronde Barber, on the fence here, would have liked other finalists to be inducted, maybe one of the WRs, Patrick Willis, etc. but he has been a finalist, like Z Thomas, for some time now;
Chuck Howley, yes finally glad he earned election, very deserving. Hoping a guy like Randy Gradishar is next;
Ken Riley, I'm personally happy to see Riley in because I thought he was really good despite a lack of accolades. Maybe there were other deserving senior candidates than him... Al Wistert for sure;
Joe Klecko, I don't know because I am on the fence here. There were other senior candidates who are more deserving;
Don Coryell, great to see another older coach inducted. But I rather would have Buddy Parker or Marty Schottenheimer in this slot;