Super Bowl thoughts

lastcat3

Super Bowl thoughts

Post by lastcat3 »

It was a decent game and I like the fact that a little bit of defense was played. I do find it a little suspicious though that during a game where barely a penalty was called the entire game as soon as the big market team starts driving for the go-ahead last-minute score the penalties start coming out. It does make me wonder at times if the league has particular teams they want to see win and at times does a few things here and there to help them win.

There was a bit of contact on those plays but I am sure it wasn't anything the Bengals weren't doing the entire game. So why all of a sudden decide to start calling it then.
Retro Rider

Re: Super Bowl thoughts

Post by Retro Rider »

It was a clean game, no penalties all game then in the final minutes of the 4th they go flag happy. The defensive holding penalty was a bad call and gave the Rams a new set of downs. That's too many chances in the red zone. It was the play that won the game for the Rams.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

Retro Rider wrote:It was a clean game, no penalties all game then in the final minutes of the 4th they go flag happy. The defensive holding penalty was a bad call and gave the Rams a new set of downs. That's too many chances in the red zone. It was the play that won the game for the Rams.
That was a bad call.

The Bengals were given a touchdown on the Barrow-to-Higgins touchdown. No idea how they missed that facemask call on Higgins.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The non-call on Higgins was bad but the Referees kept the flags in their pocket ... until the final Rams drive.

Donald should have been MVP, his pressure was better than a sack because Burrow's pass was desperate. With only a FG needed, Donald stopped them on the last two plays.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Retro Rider wrote:It was a clean game, no penalties all game then in the final minutes of the 4th they go flag happy. The defensive holding penalty was a bad call and gave the Rams a new set of downs. That's too many chances in the red zone. It was the play that won the game for the Rams.
Anybody remember the roughing the passer-personal foul call on the Patriots on third-and-long for the Raiders in the 1976 Raiders-Patriots playoff game?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

That penalty helped the Raiders win the game in 76' for sure. Though it was a glancing blow by Hamilton, I felt the Snake twisted his body just enough to get the call. The clock was still running when Stabler took it in for the TD to win ...
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

This was a really nice, back and forth game, some defense being played... and then one of the worst officials' calls in NFL history.

People complain about the Steelers-Seahawks Super Bowl. Those calls were made mid game. Yes Higgins clearly did a facemask, it was a clever play but he did it, but there were ZERO offensive holding, defensive holding, PI in the entire game. To go the whole game, then to actually throw a flag and get it wrong, there is no foul but you call one, that's unconscionable on the officials' part. I hope they are graded very poorly for this game as a result. Then to have repeated fouls in that whole goal line sequence was just a sad joke.

Now the Rams would still have had fourth down, and they would have gotten the ball back in all likelihood even had they failed there. So we'll never know. Also kudos to the Rams' defense for stopping Cincy from even getting a FG attempt. But what a terrible call.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Brian wolf wrote:That penalty helped the Raiders win the game in 76' for sure. Though it was a glancing blow by Hamilton, I felt the Snake twisted his body just enough to get the call. The clock was still running when Stabler took it in for the TD to win ...
At least there were a lot of penalties called in that Patriots/Raiders game, 21 in total. So they were throwing the flags. It had a similar tone it seems, with some frustration fouls piling up against the ultimate loser.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

The play following the non-hold call was questionable as well, since they called a "dead ball" personal foul in the end zone... apparently the DB is not allowed to try to break up the pass there. I don't believe there was helmet to helmet.

Also, the Rams are likely done winning again for a while now... they are only allowed one championship per move! :lol:
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

SixtiesFan wrote: Anybody remember the roughing the passer-personal foul call on the Patriots on third-and-long for the Raiders in the 1976 Raiders-Patriots playoff game?
I remember that game well and thought it was a highly questionable call. New England had Oakland on the ropes:

https://youtu.be/UjQ3mVZQl1U

25 years later the Patriots got a major break thanks to the Tuck Rule and a dynasty was born.
Last edited by Retro Rider on Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.