SB matchups you're glad we didn't get

Brian wolf

Re: SB matchups you're glad we didn't get

Post by Brian wolf »

The Jets had big breaks against the Raiders in the 1968 AFL Championship game but their team won it by keeping the Raiders out of the endzone. Even had the Raiders gotten by the Jets, I dont believe their offensive line would have handled the Colts blitzes. The Raiders liked to throw the ball and wouldnt have been as balanced or as poised as the Jets, I believe. Still, with Lenny Lyles having tonsilitis, he would have had his hands full trying to cover Wells and Biletnikoff all afternoon. Had Rick Volk not been injured trying to tackle Matt Snell, the defense would have been more effective against George Sauer ...
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

In retrospect the Jets were lucky to get a SB win from 3 years of contention, as compared to teams of the time like that version of the Raiders, the Browns (though they won in 1964), Rams, and Vikings.

Props to Namath and the offense in the SB, the Colts' defense had a couple of age spots, maybe one game too many. The Jets' defense mainly got lucky IMO. Jets' usually had good sack numbers but did not put all that much pressure on the Colts' QBs. Not impressed with the linebackers, I think Matte and Hill made them look slow when they got outside. The DBs would all turn over in a couple of years. Game should have been more of a shootout like it was with the Raiders.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

My personal "glad that didn't happen" Super Bowls both come from the early 1990's.

1992 Season:
Both the 49ers and Chiefs made it to their respective conference championship games.
Had they each won those games SB XXVII would've featured Steve Young and the Niners versus Joe Montana and the Chiefs.
That match-up might've done more seismic damage to the Bay Area than the Loma Prieta earthquake did....

1994 Season:
Had the Steelers won the AFC Championship game rather than the Chargers Super Bowl XXIX would've featured Pittsburgh versus San Francisco. I was born in Pittsburgh and raised to be a Steelers fan but the family moved to San Francisco when I was a little guy so I grew up a Niner fan.
Having to choose between my favorite NFC and AFC team might have torn me in twain... it certainly wouldn't have made things any easier between my dad and myself...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Had Montana and the Chiefs gotten by Buffalo in the 93/94 AFC Championship, it would have been interesting in a SB against Dallas or SF ... The Niners of course lost to Joe in 1994 but could Steve Young or Troy Aikman keep their poise against Montana in the SB? Yes, the Chiefs werent as talented, though their defense was better than 1994 when Albert Lewis left ...
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Brian wolf wrote:Had Montana and the Chiefs gotten by Buffalo in the 93/94 AFC Championship, it would have been interesting in a SB against Dallas or SF ... The Niners of course lost to Joe in 1994 but could Steve Young or Troy Aikman keep their poise against Montana in the SB? Yes, the Chiefs werent as talented, though their defense was better than 1994 when Albert Lewis left ...
Both NFC teams probably win, but if the Chiefs would have defeated the 49ers, the next day in the Bay Area would have been a red-letter day in sports talk show history. There would have been so many people calling up and crapping all over Steve Young and calling him a loser that they have to get rid of (and that it was a mistake to get rid of Joe).