Your favorite episode of "A Football Life"

Rupert Patrick

Re: Your favorite episode of "A Football Life"

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JeffreyMiller wrote:
JWL wrote:^ Yeah, a millenial Giants fan called WFAN yesterday to whine about the Odell Beckham, Jr. trade. During the course of the call, Mike Francesa mentioned Mark Bavaro. The fan said he doesn't know who Mark Bavaro is and also that he doesn't care.
It's weird isn't it that I care about football events that happened forty or fifty years before I was born, but these kids don't care about anything that happened prior to the Obama administration...
They only care about a player if he is in the current version of the Madden game.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Rupert Patrick wrote:They only care about a player if he is in the current version of the Madden game.
I think it also has something to do with fantasy leagues … it's a damned conspiracy, I tells ya!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

I can imagine moronic conversations like this going on in NFLN offices

"Why should we do a "Football Life" on a guy like Paul Warfield? He never had any monster season and he didn't make an exaggerated first down signal every time he got one..." :roll: :roll: :roll:
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

sheajets wrote:I just can't wrap my head around that. Always had a deep interest/appreciation of history (not just football but all history) so many nowadays are willfully ignorant of it. Or want to outright destroy it
Also have always had a deep appreciation of history. Particularly sports history but all history interested me.

It's not just ignorance or wanting to destroy. Kids are coming up through school being taught inaccurate -in some cases completely made up- 'history' in schools now, too.

Always thought history would be my favorite subject in high school and instead spent high school arguing with history teachers (really their inaccurate textbooks) because I had an interest in those things before they came up in school. And that was way back when I graduated in 2002. It's much worse now. Have family currently in HS and look at assignments and such and the completely flawed history they're taught is a joke. And yes, they don't care about it to begin with, but even if they did they wouldn't be learning real history, just inaccurate 'history' that fits an agenda.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Reaser wrote: It's not just ignorance or wanting to destroy. Kids are coming up through school being taught inaccurate -in some cases completely made up- 'history' in schools now, too.

Always thought history would be my favorite subject in high school and instead spent high school arguing with history teachers (really their inaccurate textbooks) because I had an interest in those things before they came up in school. And that was way back when I graduated in 2002. It's much worse now. Have family currently in HS and look at assignments and such and the completely flawed history they're taught is a joke. And yes, they don't care about it to begin with, but even if they did they wouldn't be learning real history, just inaccurate 'history' that fits an agenda.
Thank you, Matt.
That needed to be said.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

BD Sullivan wrote:I can imagine moronic conversations like this going on in NFLN offices

"Why should we do a "Football Life" on a guy like Paul Warfield? He never had any monster season and he didn't make an exaggerated first down signal every time he got one..." :roll: :roll: :roll:
Probably, because that network has become a complete joke, especially the show Good Morning Football. The hosts on that show are annoying. They couldn't hold a candle to real journalists. I only watch that network anymore during the start of FA (for the draft, I will watch it on ABC or ESPN).
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

Reaser wrote:
Also have always had a deep appreciation of history. Particularly sports history but all history interested me.

It's not just ignorance or wanting to destroy. Kids are coming up through school being taught inaccurate -in some cases completely made up- 'history' in schools now, too.

Very well stated! Small example, I have a niece who attends public school in Port Orchard. Her teacher refuses to recognize Donald Trump as president of the United States. In that classroom the list of U.S. Presidents ends with Barack Hussein Obama. Regardless of how one feels about our current Commander in Chief, I think this instructor's agenda driven approach is very unfair to the kids. Real facts don't matter anymore. Sadly in today's world there are people in positions of influence (teachers, journalists, NFLN/ESPN talking heads) who get away with it.

Favorite, A Football Life Episodes:

Kurt Warner
Lyle Alzado
Chuck Knoll
John Madden
Ed Sabol
Steve Sabol

Would most like to see these:

Leroy Kelly, the man who replaced Jim Brown
Len Dawson
Bob Griese
Gino Cappelletti - Mr. Patriot
Paul Warfield
Lance Alworth
Marlin Briscoe
Floyd Little
Last edited by Retro Rider on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Reaser wrote:
sheajets wrote:I just can't wrap my head around that. Always had a deep interest/appreciation of history (not just football but all history) so many nowadays are willfully ignorant of it. Or want to outright destroy it

It's a bizarre world we're living in. Real history is now being twisted and contorted to leave out pertinent facts (sometimes uncomfortable ones but so be it...it's history) credit for certain accomplishments is being shifted despite no new evidence. Longstanding heroes are becoming demonized for no good reason. Proper context as to how/why certain decisions were made is no longer being given ("He was a man of his times" etc)
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
BD Sullivan wrote:I can imagine moronic conversations like this going on in NFLN offices

Probably, because that network has become a complete joke, especially the show Good Morning Football. The hosts on that show are annoying. They couldn't hold a candle to real journalists. I only watch that network anymore during the start of FA (for the draft, I will watch it on ABC or ESPN).
Just the hooting and hollering with some of these shows. I avoid most of them. Can they act like actual broadcast journalists?

Take this clip for example when Tebow throws the TD pass to Demayrius Thomas. Absolute garbage. And it's not even funny or original or clever. I can appreciate that. I loved Bermanisms but when it came down to it Boomer and Jackson could be incredible analysts of the game. But this is hideous

https://youtu.be/Idx5wsH6Fys?t=674
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

sheajets wrote:Just the hooting and hollering with some of these shows. I avoid most of them. Can they act like actual broadcast journalists?

Take this clip for example when Tebow throws the TD pass to Demayrius Thomas. Absolute garbage. And it's not even funny or original or clever. I can appreciate that. I loved Bermanisms but when it came down to it Boomer and Jackson could be incredible analysts of the game. But this is hideous

https://youtu.be/Idx5wsH6Fys?t=674
The actual broadcast call of that play annoyed me, too. Personally, since I wasn't a fan of the OT changes I got annoyed (too much, admittedly) by the announcers/talking heads that were pushing for it (e.g. Nantz on the broadcast side and Eisen on the talking head side.) So was a whole season of that. Then this play happens and after the TD Nantz yells, "the new rules!" ... which had nothing to do with how that OT went. Would have been exact same in true sudden death but evidently he thought it was a good time to continue the sell-job on the then new OT.