Coffin Corner Volume 39 Number 1

ChrisBabcock

Re: Coffin Corner Volume 39 Number 1

Post by ChrisBabcock »

uh oh. I just received the latest issue of the Coffin Corner in the mail. The cover looks great. Pages 2-24 are an exact reprint of the March/April 2016 issue. :roll:
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

We got confirmation this morning from the printer that all the issues went out that way and that they "don't know what the heck happened" but they will be sending out new copies to everyone. Thanks for alerting us to this. It's the first time I've seen this occur.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I'll take a guess as to what the heck happened. Someone in the prepress department picked up a file of a previous issue with all the previous printing specs, (paper weight, # of pages, etc.) with the intent of swapping out all the old pages with the new. It's a time-saving shortcut to eliminate extra prep work for the press. They got as far as page 1, then got sidetracked and when they came back to it, they thought that they had all the pages done. I've worked in printing for 20 years and I've seen this happen a few times. :(

The pdf in our Members Only section is correct. (for anyone reading this anxious to read the current issue)
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

ChrisBabcock wrote:uh oh. I just received the latest issue of the Coffin Corner in the mail. The cover looks great. Pages 2-24 are an exact reprint of the March/April 2016 issue. :roll:
Mine arrived today. Or should I say all three, yes three, of mine arrived today. Two extra copies of the 'collector's edition'! Beat that, Chris.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Has everyone received this? I didn't get either the corrected copy or the one with the printing error.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I received the corrected copy today.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

ChrisBabcock wrote: I've worked in printing for 20 years and I've seen this happen a few times. :(
You poor, poor soul.
You have my sincere sympathies.

My guess was that the cover is run on a 2 color press and the guts on a duplicator.
And that the plates for the guts were output from an incorrectly archived file.

But the way things are today and if the printer is all digital your explanation makes more sense.
Either way some poor operator was in for an unpleasant day.

And sadly, I've got a few years on you in the Trade.
Damn, I'm old.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I'm pretty sure the Coffin Corner is run all digital. The good photo quality looks like it and it would be more cost efficient to do so unless we're running into the tens of thousands of finished newsletters. Which I don't think we are.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I received the corrected issue in the mail yesterday.
Mark Durr

Post by Mark Durr »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Has everyone received this? I didn't get either the corrected copy or the one with the printing error.
I just sent you a private message. Let me know if you haven't received a corrected copy of issue #1.