Respective CC-losers we're most GLAD didn't play in a SB

74_75_78_79_

Respective CC-losers we're most GLAD didn't play in a SB

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Vikings/Raiders SBXII ('77) first comes to mind. Why see a rematch of last year, especially with Oakland being a consensus favorite (to again win lopsided) anyway? Off the top of head, not counting Bills/Dallas '92/'93, have both SB-participants from a year before ever made it back to their respective CCs the following year?

Anyways, what other runner-up tandem are you most glad didn't play each other in the Big Game. Yes, you can go pre-SB era or outside NFL (AFL) as well.
sheajets

Re: Respective CC-losers we're most GLAD didn't play in a SB

Post by sheajets »

Had no interest in a Rams/Dolphins Super Bowl in 1986. Not that anybody was beating Chicago that year but to me the Rams were something of a bore with their anemic passing game...Dieter Brock was a competent game manager but just not exciting. Dolphins I flat out disliked as Jets fan and they had just played in a Super Bowl the year prior.

A potential Vikings/Browns Super Bowl in 1988 didn't excite me either.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

sheajets wrote:Had no interest in a Rams/Dolphins Super Bowl in 1986. Not that anybody was beating Chicago that year but to me the Rams were something of a bore with their anemic passing game...Dieter Brock was a competent game manager but just not exciting. Dolphins I flat out disliked as Jets fan and they had just played in a Super Bowl the year prior.

A potential Vikings/Browns Super Bowl in 1988 didn't excite me either.
Same can be said for Browns/Rams SBXXIV, 1989.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

sheajets wrote:(1985) Dolphins I flat out disliked as Jets fan and they had just played in a Super Bowl the year prior.
The fact that they needed to come back from a 21-3 deficit at home against a mediocre 8-8 Browns team the week before was a pretty good indicator that they would have been dead meat against the revenge-minded Bears.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

BD Sullivan wrote:
sheajets wrote:(1985) Dolphins I flat out disliked as Jets fan and they had just played in a Super Bowl the year prior.
The fact that they needed to come back from a 21-3 deficit at home against a mediocre 8-8 Browns team the week before was a pretty good indicator that they would have been dead meat against the revenge-minded Bears.
Byner/Mack/Dickey absolutely ravaged the Dolphins that day...and the next week with James/Weathers/Collins.

If Chicago plays Miami, Payton gets his Super Bowl touchdown or 3. But he probably sleepwalks to a 150+ yard game.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

1991-92 Broncos. One of the weakest CC teams ever (5th place schedule, dodged the Saints/49ers/Falcons and instead got to play the Vikings/Cardinals, a very underwhelming offense other than Gaston Green and Elway magic, another average Reeves team that got by solely on Mile High/Elway mystique, and them against a MUCH better Washington team might have been WAY more lopsided than not only the BUF/WSH matchup, but also their SB from a few years prior. And we got robbed of a HOU/BUF AFC-CG as well.

OTOH, Gaston Green probably doesn't lose his helmet on the first play in the Metrodome....

1999 Bucs- Thank god we didn't get to see that lousy offense against the Titans. Their offensive numbers made the much-criticized 2000 Ravens offense look like Air Coryell. Titans going up against THAT Tampa offense after facing the Colts/Jags would have been a cakewalk.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

For me, it's any one of the Patriot teams that lost a conference title game in the Brady-Belichick era (2006, 12, 13, 15), especially the 2006 and 13 teams. Those teams won four or five more games than they really should have, especially the 2013 Pats, who were the inferior of the two teams.