Random NFL tidbits/stats that you find interesting...

Todd Pence

Re: Random NFL tidbits/stats that you find interesting...

Post by Todd Pence »

Don Woods, Ickey Woods and Paul Robinson also belong in the "one-year wonder" list of 1,000-yard rushers.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Todd Pence wrote:Don Woods, Ickey Woods and Paul Robinson also belong in the "one-year wonder" list of 1,000-yard rushers.
People still remember Ickey Woods, if only for his shuffle. He kinda transcended pro football with that dance. He lived in the same suburb in Cincinnati that I lived in when I was there, owned a carpet and flooring store there on the main drag in Sharonville. I never went in there because I lived in an apartment, but you could tell going past the place it was his because there was a life-size cutout of him doing his shuffle in the front window of the place. He's still treated like royalty in Cincinnati after one big season.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Todd Pence wrote:Don Woods, Ickey Woods and Paul Robinson also belong in the "one-year wonder" list of 1,000-yard rushers.
Randy Woodfield (the "I-5 Killer") was mentioned upthread as being a 1974 draft pick of the Packers. He's one of four of their picks that year who went on to become notable (or infamous), but not because of anything they did in Green Bay.

* Don Woods was cut in training camp and went on to gain 1,162 yards as a rookie in San Diego.

* 15th-round pick Dave Wannstedt never made an NFL squad, but held head coaching posts in Chicago and Miami.

* 8th-round pick Monte Doris sued the Packers when they released him, saying that he was ordered to play in the pre-season despite a back injury. This was one of the first such lawsuits filed against an NFL team by a former player.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

With today's loss to the Colts, the Chargers all-time regular season record stands at 422-422-11.

The Rams all-time regular season record stands at 542-543-21 with today's win over the Bucs.

The Seahawks all-time record currently stands at 317-314-0 with today's win over the 49ers.

The Seahawks are one of only three current franchises who have never had a tie game; the other two are the Jaguars and Texans. The Cardinals and Eagles have the most ties of any franchise, each has 26.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
LJP

Post by LJP »

Bears longest runs from scrimmage - Bill Osmanski 86-yard TD (15-Oct-1939), Pete Stinchcomb 85-yard TD (20-Nov-1921) & Beattie Feathers 82-yard TD (10-Oct-1934).

In the 1940 season opener at Green Bay, George McAfee (93-yards) and Ray Nolting (97-yards) both recorded KR TDs. The Staleys/Bears had not scored one in the regular season from 1920-39.
LJP

Post by LJP »

Rupert Patrick wrote:The Cardinals and Eagles have the most ties of any franchise, each has 26.
The Bears have 42.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

The Bears had 6 ties in 1932 alone!
LJP

Post by LJP »

conace21 wrote:The Bears had 6 ties in 1932 alone!
They started the season 0-1-2, scoring 0 points whilst conceding 2, but still won the league title.

George Musso played in 7 NFL Championship Games (1933, 34, 37, 40, 41, 42 & 43). George Wilson 6 (1937, 40, 41, 42, 43 & 46).

Ray Mickovsky (D11-1938/#100) skipped pro football and played MLB, as Ray Mack. He was the father of Pro Football Hall of Famer Tom Mack.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

I imagine most here are aware of this, but the 2008 Lions winning all their pre-season games and losing all their regular-season games is simply extraordinary.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

LJP wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:The Cardinals and Eagles have the most ties of any franchise, each has 26.
The Bears have 42.
I forgot to add "Since 1933".