Worst ending to a career
Started by conace21, Oct 26 2013 11:45 AM

Page 1 of 4

61 replies to this topic

#1 conace21
Pro Bowler
Forum Visitors 1,293 posts
Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:45 AM
There was a thread here that discussed which players had the best ending to their career (such as John Elway.)

How about the flip side? Which players had the worst ending to their careers, either a bad game or a bad play.

Dan Marino- lost 62-7 to Jacksonville, and he missed on his first seven passes. I'd take him off this list if he had not played in the 2nd half- then at least he could have said his last pass was a touchdown.

Dan Turk- Redskins long snapper. He botched a FG attempt that would have put the 1999 Redskins into the NFC Championship Game. Brad Johnson couldn't put the ball down and threw an incomplete pass. To make matters worse, Turk got bullrushed on the play and knocked right on his reae.

Trey Junkin- at least Junkin got some of the heat deflected after his bad snap in the Giants-49ers playoff game by the officiating blunder.

Joe Theismann

#2 JWL
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member 1,846 posts
Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:58 AM
Elvis Grbac playing poorly considering his contract and then quitting in the offseason

Jackie Smith because of the drop in the Super Bowl

#3 74_75_78_79_
VeteranForum Visitors 702 posts
Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:57 PM
Emmitt Smith...EACH of the Triplets, actually.

#4 BD Sullivan
All-Decade
Forum Visitors 3,625 posts
Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:02 PM
From a health perspective, I think Darryl Stingley would win hands down.

The last completion of Roger Staubach's career was to one of his offensive linemen, Herb Scott. Staubach was trying to throw it away on third down late in the '79 playoff game against the Rams, and Scott reflexively caught it. The Cowboys were flagged for ineligible receiver, then turned it over after another incompletion.

#5 Shipley
Starter

PFRA Member 173 posts
Interests:NFL/AFL history, semi-pro football
Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:10 PM
Bills special teams great Steve Tasker was thrown out of the game on one of the first plays of the final game of his career.

#6 conace21
Pro Bowler
Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:01 PM
I didn't think Emmitt had a particularly bad sendoff. He ran for 69 yards in a win over TB. Only averaged 3.0 YPC, so he's certainly no candidate for the best ride off into the sunset, but not as bad as some of the others

Anyone who suffered a career-ending injury certainly makes the list, especially Dennis Byrd, and Mike Utley. Chuck Hughes of course had the worst possible ending.

From a football perspective, Jim Kelly had a bad ending. In a wild card game against Jacksonville with the score tied late, Kelly fumbled twice on the same play, ended up turning the ball over to allow Jacksonville to drive for a go-ahead FG, suffered a concussion AND was victimized by a bad call. (Kelly was actually down before he lost the ball, but the officials didn't see it.

#7 MatthewToy
Starter
Forum Visitors 153 posts
Interests:NFL history. NFL Films.
Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:38 PM
Can't believe no one said Joe Theismann yet.
Like This
"Steeler Nation" -- John Facenda, 1978
MultiQuote
#8 BD Sullivan
All-Decade
Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:40 PM
Browns return man Billy Lefear had a pretty spectacular end to his career in 1975: he returned a kickoff (from the goal line) 92 yards, but on the tackle, suffered a severe broken leg that took him two years just to get back on the field--at which point he was released in training camp.

#9 BD Sullivan
All-Decade
Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:40 PM
MatthewToy, on 26 Oct 2013 - 2:38 PM, said:
It was in the first post.

#10 97Den98
Pro Bowler
Forum Visitors 1,056 posts
Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

Or basically any player who had his career end with injury, like Billy Sims and Dwight Stephenson.

Also, I wonder if Champ Bailey will have a less than ideal ending due to injury. He hurt his foot again against the Colts.

Now, he will try to play after the bye against SD in a few weeks, but I don't know what he has left.

#11 conace21
Pro Bowler
Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:44 PM
I did, at the end of my original post.

#12 MatthewToy
Starter
Forum Visitors 153 posts
Interests:NFL history. NFL Films.
Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:48 PM
conace21, on 26 Oct 2013 - 2:44 PM, said:
I did, at the end of my original post.

Oof. Missed it.

#13 Todd Pence
VeteranForum Visitors 625 posts
Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:52 PM
Derrick Thomas, Jerome Brown, Chris Henry, Sean Taylor, Jovan Belcher, Big Daddy Lipscomb, Brain Piccolo, Joe Delaney, Don Rogers, Jeff Alm, Stone Johnson, David Overstreet, Pat Tillman, Larry Gordon.

#14 MIKETOUHY
Starter
Forum Visitors 240 posts
Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:13 PM
I remember the last game Walter Payton
played and it was not a good game.

Can't remember the opposing team but I remember seeing a photo of him in the Tribune in despair.

#15 conace21
Pro Bowler
Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:13 PM
It was against the Washington Redskins and while Payton actually played well in that game, running for 85 yards, it was not a good ending. At the end of the game, on 4th and 8 or so, Payton caught a pass and turned upfield to fight for the first down. He was knocked out of bounds one yard short. End of game, season, and career.

#16 BD Sullivan
All-Decade
Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:16 PM
conace21, on 26 Oct 2013 - 6:13 PM, said:
It was against the Washington Redskins and while Payton actually played well in that game, running for 85 yards, it was not a good ending. At the end of the game, on 4th and 8 or so, Payton caught a pass and turned upfield to fight for the first down. He was knocked out of bounds one yard short. End of game, season, and career.

I remember John Madden noting the irony of such a classy player ending his career underneath the opposing team's bench, which was where he ended up after getting knocked out of bounds.

#17 JuggernautJ
Starter
PFRA Member 322 posts
Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:25 PM
Two 49er Strong Safeties come to mind. Both had immense potential and both had their careers destroyed by injuries.

Jeff Fuller was partially paralyzed in a career ending injury vs the Patriots in 1989.

His replacement, Chet Brooks was a similarly hard hitting safety who had been plagued by knee injuries. After starting in Super Bowl XXIV he retired (if I recall correctly) with "arthritic knees." Brooks played only three season in the NFL.

#18 JuggernautJ
Starter
PFRA Member 322 posts
Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:38 PM
Todd Pence, on 26 Oct 2013 - 4:52 PM, said:
Derrick Thomas, Jerome Brown, Chris Henry, Sean Taylor, Jovan Belcher, Big Daddy Lipscomb, Brain Piccolo, Joe Delaney, Don Rogers, Jeff Alm, Stone Johnson, David Overstreet, Pat Tillman, Larry Gordon.

I was going to say "What, no Joe Delaney?" But I guess, considering his selfless death and subsequent legacy there are worse ways to go.

#19 Todd Pence
VeteranForum Visitors 625 posts
Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:40 PM
The list I provided above is, of course, prominent players who suffered untimely demises while still active. Of those players, the one who had the worst final game was probably Overstreet. In the last ever play in which he was involved, he had a lost fumble which proved to be crucial in Seattle's playoff upset of the Dolphins.

#20 BD Sullivan
All-Decade
Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:56 PM
Todd Pence, on 26 Oct 2013 - 7:40 PM, said:
The list I provided above is, of course, prominent players who suffered untimely demises while still active. Of those players, the one who had the worst final game was probably Overstreet. In the last ever play in which he was involved, he had a lost fumble which proved to be crucial in Seattle's playoff upset of the Dolphins.
Sadly, Ernie Davis only time on an NFL field was to be introduced during a 1962 exhibition game.

The Browns' Don Fleming picked off a pass in the final game of the 1962 season against the Niners, then was electrocuted in an idustrial accident during the offseason.

Willie Galimore had 12 yards on seven carries in the 1963 title game for the Bears, then was killed in a training camp auto accident (along with teammate Bo Farrington) the following July.

Page 1 of 4
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
oldecapecod11

Re: Worst ending to a career

Post by oldecapecod11 »

ARCHIVE
oldecapecod

Worst ending to a career

Page 2 of 4

61 replies to this topic

#21 MIKETOUHY
Starter

Forum Visitors 240 posts
Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:31 PM
Think Don Meredith's career ended badly as well.

#22 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors 360 posts
Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:27 PM
Y.A. Tittle

#23 JWL
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member 1,846 posts
Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:38 PM
JuggernautJ, on 26 Oct 2013 - 7:25 PM, said:
Two 49er Strong Safeties come to mind. Both had immense potential and both had their careers destroyed by injuries.

Jeff Fuller was partially paralyzed in a career ending injury vs the Patriots in 1989.

His replacement, Chet Brooks was a similarly hard hitting safety who had been plagued by knee injuries. After starting in Super Bowl XXIV he retired (if I recall correctly) with "arthritic knees." Brooks played only three season in the NFL.

Hmm. Maybe the "NWA" he wrote on his wrist stood for Negroes With Arthritis.
Like This

#24 TouchdownTimmy
Starter
Forum Visitors 326 posts
Interests:Almost anything to do with football and sports on the field. I am not big into celebrity or social media. I just like watching and talking about sports. Football is my game and I have been following since I was five back in 1971.
Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:40 PM
Jim Brown's career almost ended ignominiously. In his final regular season game with the Browns against the St. Louis Cardinals he kicked Alvis Joe Robb in the stomach after Robb had hit him with a cheap shot a couple of plays earlier. At the time, Brown was battling Gale Sayers for the 1965 league lead in touchdowns. Both men were also going for the single season TD record. Brown was tossed from the game and Sayers went on to score 22 TD's, win the race and set an NFL record. Fortunately for Brown, Cleveland made it to the title game in '65 and he got to play another game plus the Pro Bowl.

#25 TouchdownTimmy
Starter
Forum Visitors 326 posts
Interests:Almost anything to do with football and sports on the field. I am not big into celebrity or social media. I just like watching and talking about sports. Football is my game and I have been following since I was five back in 1971.
Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:50 PM
Bo Jackson, because it didn't have to happen. After Bo's hip was injuried against the Bengals in the 1990 AFC playoffs, he was not taken directly to the hospital as he should have been. The Raiders were hoping that Bo could play the next week in the championship game against the Buffalo Bills which he did not. It was also thought that the injury was not that severe. If I recall the seriousness of Bo's injury was not known until Kansas City Royals team doctors examed him a month later which was far too late. If Bo had gone straight to the hospital for x-rays, the injury may have been discovered right away, surgery could have been performed and maybe he could have made a comeback.

#26 BD Sullivan
All-Decade
Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:27 AM
MIKETOUHY, on 26 Oct 2013 - 8:31 PM, said:
Think Don Meredith's career ended badly as well.

Humble Howard made a few comments about that the first couple of times a MNF game was being played in Cleveland (i.e. "Welcome to the place where Dandy Don played his final game")

#27 3243
Starter
Forum Visitors 301 posts
Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:38 AM

Also J.V. Cain, Mack Lee Hill, Fred Lane, Marquis Cooper, Troy Archer, Roger Hagberg, Rusty Chambers, David Griggs, Rodney Culver,
Eric Turner, Stacey Toran, Bob Kalsu, and Eric Andolsek.

And of course, the aforementioned Chuck Hughes.

#28 3243
Starter
Forum Visitors 301 posts
Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:53 AM
And now some players who brought the ends of their careers upon themselves: Terrell Owens, JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, and most infamously, Rae Carruth.

And the career that kept ending and unending: Brett Favre.

#29 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
1,144 posts
Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:48 AM
Jerry Rice would be another. He was in a few preseason games for the Denver Broncos in 2005, made a few catches but mostly sat on the bench. I think the biggest humiliation is that he had to sit there wearing #19, because Rod Smith already had #80. To his credit, he announced his retirement before the final cuts, and never played in the NFL again.

#30 Jagade
VeteranPFRA Member 862 posts
Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:37 PM
Dick Deschaine. Horace Gillom retired after the 1956 season and Ken Konz did the punting for Cleveland in 1957. One of the best punters in the NFL was Dick Deschaine averaging over 40 yards per kick for 3 years with the Packers. So, the Browns traded a draft choice for Deschaine in 1958, and that figured to upgrade their kicking game.

Deschaine did average over 40 yards per kick in 1958, but in Cleveland's final regular season game against the Giants, Deschaine shanked 2 key punts including the punt before Summerall's famous game winning kick for the Giants (49 or 50 yards). I am not sure that I got the story absolutely right because that is from memory. Maybe someone can verify or correct. BD?

Of course, Summerall's kick gave the Giants the win and ultimately cost the Browns a spot in the championship game against Baltimore. Deschaine did not play in the NFL after the season was over.

Like This
MultiQuote
#31 conace21
Pro Bowler
Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:16 PM
Technically, it wasn't his last game, as he got another chance at NY the next week. The boxscore says he averaged 38.8 yards on 8 punts. Not great, but not a disaster.

Like This
MultiQuote
#32 74_75_78_79_
Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:15 PM
Lawrence Taylor...3-44 annihilation at Frisco in his very last (playoff) game '93 season.

Jack Lambert - turf toe '84 season.

Steve Young at Cards MNF '99.

Steve Spurrier - final season as player he actually starts at QB, and for all 14 games, but for 'you-know-who'!
Like This
MultiQuote
#33 Jagade
Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:18 PM
conace21, on 27 Oct 2013 - 9:16 PM, said:
Technically, it wasn't his last game, as he got another chance at NY the next week. The boxscore says he averaged 38.8 yards on 8 punts. Not great, but not a disaster.

Dick Deschaine averaged 38.8 yards on 8 punts in the 1958 playoff game between the Browns and Giants, which the Giants won 10 to 0, and yes, it was Deschaines' last game. However, there would have been no need for a playoff game if Pat Summerall had missed the about 50 yard field goal near the end of the last regular season game for the 2 teams, and Cleveland would have played Baltimore for the title.

However, If Deschaines' last punt in that regular season game was a normal one for him, then I doubt that the Giants would have even attempted a field goal, being that it would have been much longer than 50 yards (on the snow covered field).

#34 Bryan
VeteranForum Visitors 662 posts
Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

This made me laugh for some reason,which is probably wrong. When I saw the thread title, I immediately thought of Chuck Hughes...kind of a no-brainer, no?

Anyway, aside from death, how about Bill Brown and Turk Edwards? Brown saw limited action in SB IX, and fumbled away the 2nd half kickoff. Edwards suffered a career-ending knee injury following the opening coin toss of his last game.

#35 Kelly1105
Starter
PFRA Member 489 posts
Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:49 AM
74_75_78_79_, on 27 Oct 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:
Lawrence Taylor...3-44 annihilation at Frisco in his very last (playoff) game '93 season.

Jack Lambert - turf toe '84 season.

Steve Young at Cards MNF '99.

Steve Spurrier - final season as player he actually starts at QB, and for all 14 games, but for 'you-know-who'!

Spurrier was with the Broncos in the 1977 pre season. Story was it was either him or Morton

#36 fgoodwin
VeteranForum Visitors 554 posts
Interests:Dallas Cowboys, NFL, Texas Longhorns, football history, other leagues (AAFC, AFL, WFL, USFL), football collectibles, football books
Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:27 PM
I don't know if it's the worst, but Michael Irvin being booed off the field after his neck injury certainly stands out in my mind as reflecting poorly on fans.

Again, fans may remember it differently today, but contemporaneous accounts make it clear that fans did boo, and the Eagles were rightfully disgusted.

#37 conace21
Pro Bowler
Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:23 PM
I thought that the Eagles fans actually cheered once he got injured and was laying there motionless.

#38 fgoodwin
VeteranForum Visitors 554 posts
Interests:Dallas Cowboys, NFL, Texas Longhorns, football history, other leagues (AAFC, AFL, WFL, USFL), football collectibles, football books
Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:15 PM
conace21, on 28 Oct 2013 - 4:23 PM, said:
I thought that the Eagles fans actually cheered once he got injured and was laying there motionless.
You're right.

#39 Jagade
Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:24 PM
If this includes head coaches, then most head coaching jobs end badly. Most end up being fired.

Of course, many get jobs as assistant coaches someplace.

#40 Rupert Patrick
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member 2,441 posts
Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:09 PM
TouchdownTimmy, on 26 Oct 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:
Bo Jackson, because it didn't have to happen. After Bo's hip was injuried against the Bengals in the 1990 AFC playoffs, he was not taken directly to the hospital as he should have been. The Raiders were hoping that Bo could play the next week in the championship game against the Buffalo Bills which he did not. It was also thought that the injury was not that severe. If I recall the seriousness of Bo's injury was not known until Kansas City Royals team doctors examed him a month later which was far too late. If Bo had gone straight to the hospital for x-rays, the injury may have been discovered right away, surgery could have been performed and maybe he could have made a comeback.

I remember watching this game live, and as soon as it happened, OJ (who was on the sidelines for NBC, although sideline reporters were still not permitted), relayed back to the broadcast booth within a couple minutes that it was a hip pointer and that his NFL career was in very serious jeopardy.

Page 2 of 4
~ Arnie Weinmeister
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

ARCHIVE
oldecapecod 11

Worst ending to a career

Page 3 of 4

61 replies to this topic

#41 TouchdownTimmy
Starter
Forum Visitors 326 posts
Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:54 PM
I remember the O.J. report. What I can't understand is that if this was the feeling on the sidelines then why wasn't Bo immediately taken to a hospital? If an injury is considered career threatening then why would anyone believe that a player could play the following week?

I had a friend who suffered the same injury in high school. He was immediately taken to a hospital and operated on. He missed that season, but was back in time for the baseball season and went on to play football at West Point.

#42 TouchdownTimmy
Starter
Forum Visitors 326 posts
Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:07 PM
Dieter Brock. After a lengthy career in Canada, Brock quarterbacked the Rams for one year, 1985, and took them to the NFC championship game where they lost to the Bears.

The following September he found out that the Rams had traded for Jim Everett on the same day that he returned from attending his brother's funeral in Alabama. Brock was put on injured reserved, because of a back injury and the Rams released him that December ending his career.

#43 Jagade
Veteran
PFRA Member 862 posts
Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:55 AM
Jagade, on 27 Oct 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

Dick Deschaine averaged 38.8 yards on 8 punts in the 1958 playoff game between the Browns and Giants, which the Giants won 10 to 0, and yes, it was Deschaines' last game. However, there would have been no need for a playoff game if Pat Summerall had missed the about 50 yard field goal near the end of the last regular season game for the 2 teams, and Cleveland would have played Baltimore for the title.

However, If Deschaines' last punt in that regular season game was a normal one for him, then I doubt that the Giants would have even attempted a field goal, being that it would have been much longer than 50 yards (on the snow covered field).

Deschaine's punting was far from the only thing to go wrong for the Cleveland Browns in 1958. There were a number of things that combined to keep the Cleveland Browns out of the championship game against Baltimore that year.

In the first game against the Giants in 1958, Cleveland appeared to be on their way to a win. With the Browns ahead in the 4th quarter, 17 to 14, the Giants were forced to punt. Cleveland was called for roughing the kicker, so the Giants got 15 yards and a first down. The Giants went on to score and won that game 21 to 17.

The next week, Cleveland lost to Detroit, 30 to 10. The Browns may have suffered a letdown after their disappointing loss to the Giants, but Detroit seemed to have Cleveland's number at that time (1957 and 1958) anyway.

The Giants faced Detroit in the 2nd from last game of the regular season. A loss by New York would have eliminated them from title contention, and put Cleveland into the championship game against Baltimore. Detroit, on the other hand was already out of contention in the Western Conference.

The Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns were bitter rivals during the 1950's with both teams having won 3 NFL championships. Detroit resented the Browns and felt that they were the best team of the 1950's. So, the last thing that the Detroit Lions wanted to see was the Cleveland Browns in another NFL championship game. Yet, to beat the Giants on that day would put Cleveland into the title game.

There were some strange goings-on in the 4th quarter of that game. With Detroit ahead, 17 to 12, and the Lions with a 4th down and about 19 yards to go, punter Yale Lary decided to run instead of kick. Lary ran almost straight to the sideline and did not even look like he was trying to make a first down. Coach Wilson later took credit (blame) for the call to run instead of punt.

The Giants, with a 4th and long situation, passed to a wide open receiver, who apparently was left uncovered (BTW, the Detroit Lions had a secondary that was considered the best in pro football at the time (Chris' Crew)). The Giants went on to score a TD, and then led 19 to 17.

Near the end of the game, Detroit had a not very long field goal attempt to win the game. The kick was blocked, but I doubt if it would have cleared the goal post even if it wasn't touched by a Giants player. The kick looked like it was very low. So, the Giants won the game, 19 to 17. You can see that game from Lary's run in punt formation on at You Tube.

By beating Detroit, the Giants could tie the Eastern Conference by beating Cleveland in their final regular season game. A win or tie by the Browns would put Cleveland into the championship. Of course, there was Deschaine's short punt and Summerall's long field goal, but before that there was a controversial play. A Conerly to Gifford pass was apparently caught and then fumbled by Gifford when Frank was tackled by Gaylon Fiss of Cleveland. Walt Michaels recovered and Cleveland appeared to have their tie game. From what I have read, the Giants defense was starting to come on the field when an official, Charley Berry, who had been an NFL official since the early 1940's and maybe earlier, made the call that it was an incomplete pass. From what I have read, game films showed that it was a catch and fumble.

The Giants went on to win the playoff game against Cleveland and then moved on to the NFL championship game against the Colts.

So, it looks like the fates were against the Cleveland Browns in 1958.

#44 conace21
Pro Bowler
Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:29 AM
If I remember correctly, Bruce Smith got pancaked on his final play at the end of the 2003 season.

Drew Bledsoe's last pass was intercepted by the Giants in the end zone right before halftime. Bledsoe was benched for Tony Romo and never saw action again.

Apparently, Red Grange's last game was an exhibition against the Giants. Grange broke away for a 41 yard gain but was caught and dragged down by a lumbering lineman. He always suspected the Giants let him get the big run.

#45 classic3283
Starter
Forum Visitors 119 posts
Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:32 PM
Steve Tasker was ejected in the first quarter of his final game. Before the game he had announced he was going to retire, so everybody in the stadium knew the game against the Packers was his curtain call. It was the first time he was ejected from a game in his entire career.

http://members.tripo...t/st_eject.html

#46 PowderedH2O
Starter
Forum Visitors 152 posts
Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:01 PM
I've got one that is kinda bad and good at the same time...
Daryle Lamonica went from being the Mad Bomber to being the Bad Bomber sometime during the 1972 season. Gradually, Ken Stabler replaced him and he saw limited action in 1973 after some wretched early season work. His last NFL game was a barn burner in Kansas City in freezing weather late in the 1974 season, where he went in and threw seven passes. Two were completed to the Raiders and three were completed to the Chiefs. But, on a positive note, the Raiders intercepted Len Dawson in the 4th quarter on the Chiefs 10 yard line and Lamonica hit Cliff Branch for a 10 yard touchdown pass which held up as the only touchdown in a 7-6 Raiders win. Len Dawson and Daryle Lamonica combined for 148 yards passing with 1 td and 5 interceptions. So, Lamonica does get the win, but only because he was bailed out by the Raiders defense. And Lamonica never threw another NFL pass after that game.
Lamonica did throw 19 passes for the Southern California Sun in 1975 if you count that, but that might actually be worse...

#47 Hater
Rookie
Forum Visitors 23 posts
Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:42 PM
classic3283, on 30 Oct 2013 - 7:32 PM, said:
Steve Tasker was ejected in the first quarter of his final game. Before the game he had announced he was going to retire, so everybody in the stadium knew the game against the Packers was his curtain call. It was the first time he was ejected from a game in his entire career.

http://members.tripo...t/st_eject.html

This was the first instance that came to my mind, I think it was mentioned by a couple of other posters as well. I remember watching this game as a kid, it was the same weekend that Barry Sanders broke the 2,000 yard mark.

#48 Teo
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member 1,107 posts
Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:06 PM
Amongst the officials, easily the worst ending to a career belongs to umpire Chick Rupp. In a 1941 Giants-Steelers game, Rupp fired a gun to signal the end of the first quarter, but then the gun went off again, injuring severily his left hand.

#49 NWebster
VeteranForum Visitors 796 posts
Interests:Defensive FB Stats, Special Teams Performances, Heavy Metal Music, Fitness
Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:48 PM
conace21, on 30 Oct 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:
If I remember correctly, Bruce Smith got pancaked on his final play at the end of the 2003 season.

Drew Bledsoe's last pass was intercepted by the Giants in the end zone right before halftime. Bledsoe was benched for Tony Romo and never saw action again.

Apparently, Red Grange's last game was an exhibition against the Giants. Grange broke away for a 41 yard gain but was caught and dragged down by a lumbering lineman. He always suspected the Giants let him get the big run.

I always kinda felt like Bruce was the guy in my lifetime who looked to be a shell of himself. Sure you can go with the guys who got hurt (Stingley, Theisman, etc.) but its much more sad watching Bruce Smith toil away in the wrong uniform and look not like just another guy, but like a liability.

#50 Teo
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member 1,107 posts
Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:57 PM
Earl Campbell final career carry in 1985 against Atlanta at the Superdome. Campbell bursted for 45 yards and appeared on his way to a touchdown, but pulled a hamstring and Atlanta safety Tiger Greene catched Campbell and pulled the ball from him for a touchback.
Like This
MultiQuote
#51 Pat McDonald
Starter
PFRA Member 116 posts
Interests:NFL 70s-80s, CFL 70s-80s, WFL, USFL
Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:01 PM
NWebster, on 09 Nov 2013 - 6:48 PM, said:
I always kinda felt like Bruce was the guy in my lifetime who looked to be a shell of himself. Sure you can go with the guys who got hurt (Stingley, Theisman, etc.) but its much more sad watching Bruce Smith toil away in the wrong uniform and look not like just another guy, but like a liability.

I always thought of Bubba Smith's 1976 in this regard. If his brother Tody hadn't been an Oiler, along with a rash of D-line injuries, he may have never played after the 1975 season. I saw the Bengals push him around three times in that period between 75-76, despite the hype he received from the TV commentators.

#52 slats7
Second-Stringer
Forum Visitors 92 posts
Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:33 PM
Charlie Waters (1982) -- The Catch.

#53 NWebster
VeteranForum Visitors 796 posts
Interests:Defensive FB Stats, Special Teams Performances, Heavy Metal Music, Fitness
Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:06 PM
Ed Reed.

#54 Hail Casares
Rookie
Forum Visitors 45 posts
Interests:History, Football, Politics, Running
Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:40 PM
Joe Theisman
Daryl Stingley

#55 74_75_78_79_
Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:45 AM
John Hannah (schooled by Fridge) SBXX.

#56 oldecapecod 11
VeteranPFRA Member 563 posts
0 warning points
Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:10 PM
Lucky mentioned Y.A. but here is the photo... Smithsonian no less and deservedly so.

http://www.smithsoni...4796136/?no-ist

#57 Dirk
Rookie
PFRA Member 15 posts
Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:56 PM
Chicago Bears WR Johnny Knox, breaking his back against Seattle in 2011.

#58 BD Sullivan
All-Decade
Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:18 PM
Y.A. Tittle's last season was obviously a disaster, but the iconic photo was taken in Week 2. The Giants were actually leading the Steelers 14-0 when John Baker hit Tittle as he threw a pass that turned into a pick-six by Chuck Hinton.

#59 JohnR
Starter
PFRA Member 184 posts
Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:45 PM
PowderedH2O, on 31 Oct 2013 - 1:01 PM, said:
I've got one that is kinda bad and good at the same time...
Daryle Lamonica went from being the Mad Bomber to being the Bad Bomber sometime during the 1972 season. Gradually, Ken Stabler replaced him and he saw limited action in 1973 after some wretched early season work. His last NFL game was a barn burner in Kansas City in freezing weather late in the 1974 season, where he went in and threw seven passes. Two were completed to the Raiders and three were completed to the Chiefs. But, on a positive note, the Raiders intercepted Len Dawson in the 4th quarter on the Chiefs 10 yard line and Lamonica hit Cliff Branch for a 10 yard touchdown pass which held up as the only touchdown in a 7-6 Raiders win. Len Dawson and Daryle Lamonica combined for 148 yards passing with 1 td and 5 interceptions. So, Lamonica does get the win, but only because he was bailed out by the Raiders defense. And Lamonica never threw another NFL pass after that game.
Lamonica did throw 19 passes for the Southern California Sun in 1975 if you count that, but that might actually be worse...
I remember listening to this game. It was brutal. Bill King remarked that Arrowhead fans started cheering every time Lamonica dropped back to pass. To go back to '72, Daryle had a solid year. He again won the starting job in '73, but after 3 games w/ no offensive TDs he was yanked and Stabler took over.

#60 coach tj troup
VeteranPFRA Member 585 posts
Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:59 PM
....how far did Lamonica fall? summer of '75 and working out running patterns down the street from angel stadium with my buddy(great arm, and deep ball accuracy)....lamonica is throwing to a receiver on a high school field, so we mimicked the route. Lamonica could not throw deep, or accurate...flutter balls and he lost his cool. The "mad bomber" attempted to verbally assault my buddy, and we just laughed at him as he skulked off the field. From his exceptional passing skills in the late 60's to this?

Page 3 of 4
oldecapecod 11

ARCHIVE

Page 4 of 4

61 replies to this topic

#61 SixtiesFan
Veteran
Forum Visitors 524 posts
Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:45 PM
coach tj troup, on 18 May 2014 - 6:59 PM, said:
....how far did Lamonica fall? summer of '75 and working out running patterns down the street from angel stadium with my buddy(great arm, and deep ball accuracy)....lamonica is throwing to a receiver on a high school field, so we mimicked the route. Lamonica could not throw deep, or accurate...flutter balls and he lost his cool. The "mad bomber" attempted to verbally assault my buddy, and we just laughed at him as he skulked off the field. From his exceptional passing skills in the late 60's to this?

I recall a column in Pro Football Weekly by Glenn Dickey. He wrote that Daryle Lamonica could hit a receiver 50 yards away right in stride and could miss a swing pass 10 yards away. The prime example of Lamonica throwing a bad short one was late in the 1968 AFL Title game.

#62 Jagade
Veteran
PFRA Member 862 posts
Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:25 PM
Speaking of 1968, the worst ending to a career outside of death or injury might be anyone who played for the 1968 Baltimore Colts and retired after Super Bowl III. The Colts went into the game considered one of the greatest football teams ever, if not the greatest. The AFL was not taken very seriously by many people (until after the game). Someone even gave me 40 points in a bet on that game and I took the Jets with 40. I really did not think that the Jets would win the game, but I thought that I had a good chance to win the bet with 40 points.

Page 4 of 4
~ Arnie Weinmeister
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Nick Lowery had a sad end with the 1996 1-15 Jets. His leg had lost a lot of strength that year as anything over 40 was a chore for him

Also Art Monk as an afterthought on the 1995 Eagles

George Seifert withering away on the 2001 Panthers

Bruce Smith playing out the string as a 40 year old on a 5-11 2003 Redskins team.

Thurman Thomas on the 2000 Dolphins. Don't think he was even in uniform for the playoffs that year.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

I mentioned Bruce on one of the earlier posts. I think he was actually pancaked on his very last play. Hard to get much worse than that, beyond extraordinary events.

Thurman Thomas was injured in midseason; that's why he didn't dress for the playoffs.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Champ Bailey may make the cut now.

Injured for most of 2013 and didn't play great when he did play, but did get a chance at playing in his first Super Bowl, which for his team couldn't have gone worse. Also became the only season of his career in which he did not have an interception.

Signs with Saints, cut at the end of preseason.

Media reports (so take as you will): Early season say he wants to get on a team, was willing to move to safety, had a tryout with the Lions, then a month later a tryout with the Ravens. Obviously neither signed him. Then today he retires citing that there was 'interest' from teams but that he's more interested in his future endeavors (i.e. most likely no real interest) ...

How it ends isn't overly important though, great career, great player. A favorite of mine since he was at Georgia.