What 90's Cowboys become without Walker trade

7DnBrnc53

What 90's Cowboys become without Walker trade

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

On NFL Network this morning, they talked a little about Mark Kriegel and a feature dealing with the 25th anniversary of the Walker trade.

Without that trade, what becomes of the 90's Cowboys, in your opinion? Do they still win a SB? Does Jimmy Johnson stay longer, or leave earlier?
oldecapecod11

Re: What 90's Cowboys become without Walker trade

Post by oldecapecod11 »

BUMP- Was "In Progress" when old forum folded
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Don't know about a Super Bowl, they might just become another Dynasty That Never Was like the Eagles of the era.

But With that O-line, which was largely already in place, I think Walker ends up in the Hall of Fame.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:Don't know about a Super Bowl, they might just become another Dynasty That Never Was like the Eagles of the era.

But With that O-line, which was largely already in place, I think Walker ends up in the Hall of Fame.
If Dallas doesn't trade Walker before the 89 trade deadline (due to teams not wanting to meet that demand), I think that they still trade him the next spring, but they end up getting far less that what they got in reality unless Jimmy gets desperate and throws another player or two in (like Michael Irvin. He almost traded him to the Raiders).
JKelly

Post by JKelly »

I would think Walker would have been traded leading up to or during the draft in 1990. If it was a straight trade Walker for picks then a 1st and 2nd round pick would not have been out of line which means they still would have had a chance to get Emmitt Smith. So I think the Triplets and their offensive success would have still happened. Where they would have lost out is they propbably would not have drafted Woodson, Maryland and Kevin Smith who were for the most part immediate starters on defense.
I think they would have gotten at least one Super Bowl even without the Walker trade to the Vikings. It just would have not been as quick. Also remember the start of free agency hurt the Cowboys so maybe without as many quality players to keep they may have got Sanders a year sooner rather than the 49ers and they may have been able to keep Ken Norton.