Packers-Falcons 1983

Gary Najman

Packers-Falcons 1983

Post by Gary Najman »

Just watched part of the Green Bay-Atlanta game in 1983 where Falcons safety Kenny Johnson returned two interceptions for TD, one with two minutes to go, the other in OT, to give the Falcons a 47-41 victory. Something I found when I wanted to see the gamebook at Pro Football Reference is that they had the scoring wrong: it is said that the Falcons led 34-31 in the 4th quarter, then Jan Stenerud kicked a field goal to tie the game, but it was the other way around: Mick Luckhurst tied the game at 34 with a 22-yard ship shot, that doesn't agree with the distance of the two FG kicked by Luckhurst in the game (44 and 33 yards) according to PFR (it appears they switched Luckhurst and Stenerud last field goals). I know there are mistakes at PFR, but this is the first time I noticed that the scoring was wrong, not just some individual player stats. Are there more examples like this?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/b ... 270atl.htm

http://sportsthenandnow.com/2011/10/07/ ... r-packers/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZQ9Qy1fM14
coachtj

Re: Packers-Falcons 1983

Post by coachtj »

....many, and corrections have been sent to sean forman.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I met one of the guys from Pro Football Reference.com at the NFL Films meeting in 2012, I think it was Sean Forman, and my first question was "Who do I contact when I find an error on your website?". He gave me a PFR.com business card and wrote a link on the back (it wasn't the same link as on the PFR.com site), and I've used it a couple times to alert him of corrections, and they got fixed. I can't find the business card right now as I'm trying to dig out of a move but when I find it I'll post the link here.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

Sean Forman is a paid member of PFRA. His email is sean-forman@sports-reference.com

I still think a PFRA membership directory would be a good idea.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

John Grasso wrote:Sean Forman is a paid member of PFRA. His email is sean-forman@sports-reference.com

I still think a PFRA membership directory would be a good idea.
A couple years ago there was a PFRA directory spreadsheet listing names and emails (it was optional to be on it) but I don't know the status of it.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

He's a great guy . .. but it does take a while to get corrections done if you go via his website contact forum . . .it's like no one is monitering it any longr