1984 49ers = Overrated

Bryan

Re: 1984 49ers = Overrated

Post by Bryan »

Bob Gill wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:28 pm I think that's kind of ridiculous, but I think you did mention a really overrated team: the 1985 Bears. They went 15-1 (winning a weak division in a walk) and routed an 11-5 AFC team quarterbacked by Tony Eason and coached by Raymond Berry; the 49ers went 15-1 and trounced a 14-2 team with Dan Marino (in his best year) at quarterback and Don Shula as coach. To my mind, those accomplishments are not remotely similar. It seems like you're giving them extra points for making a rap commercial, which is kind of the definition of overrated because it has nothing to do with what happens on the field.
The 84 Niners came pretty close to going undefeated. Their only loss featured a questionable PI call and a missed Wersching FG. I remember that SB matchup was highly anticipated. People were kind of split 50/50 on who was going to win, and the Niners destroyed the Dolphins. It was an impressive win. I think the Niners were clearly the dominant team of that season.

The 85 Bears lost to the Dolphins pretty handily (down 31-10 at half). I think their place in history would have been stronger had they matched up against the Dolphins in the Super Bowl and won 46-10, but things didn't work out that way. The Bears were clearly the dominant team of 1985, but beating Dieter Brock and Tony Eason to win your title doesn't really impress me as much.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Bryan wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:11 pm
Bob Gill wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:28 pm I think that's kind of ridiculous, but I think you did mention a really overrated team: the 1985 Bears. They went 15-1 (winning a weak division in a walk) and routed an 11-5 AFC team quarterbacked by Tony Eason and coached by Raymond Berry; the 49ers went 15-1 and trounced a 14-2 team with Dan Marino (in his best year) at quarterback and Don Shula as coach. To my mind, those accomplishments are not remotely similar. It seems like you're giving them extra points for making a rap commercial, which is kind of the definition of overrated because it has nothing to do with what happens on the field.
The 84 Niners came pretty close to going undefeated. Their only loss featured a questionable PI call and a missed Wersching FG. I remember that SB matchup was highly anticipated. People were kind of split 50/50 on who was going to win, and the Niners destroyed the Dolphins. It was an impressive win. I think the Niners were clearly the dominant team of that season.

The 85 Bears lost to the Dolphins pretty handily (down 31-10 at half). I think their place in history would have been stronger had they matched up against the Dolphins in the Super Bowl and won 46-10, but things didn't work out that way. The Bears were clearly the dominant team of 1985, but beating Dieter Brock and Tony Eason to win your title doesn't really impress me as much.
Beating Steve Fuller and a 9-7 Giants team is supposed to impress me?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

CSKreager wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:27 pm Beating Steve Fuller and a 9-7 Giants team is supposed to impress me?
Not sure....what is your opinion on Fuller? Better or worse than Dieter Brock?

But I think at some point the QB with the highest winning percentage in the NFL was Mike Tomczak.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

You can't be an AFC Champion being average to weak. The teams simply didn't have the depth or coaching that the NFC had. Far better offensive lines than the AFC, though the Niners line wasn't dominate, which makes their offensive prowess even more impressive.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Brian wolf wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:51 pm You can't be an AFC Champion being average to weak. The teams simply didn't have the depth or coaching that the NFC had. Far better offensive lines than the AFC, though the Niners line wasn't dominate, which makes their offensive prowess even more impressive.
Coaching? Yeah right

Dallas won in spite of Jimmy not because of him

Washington players basically coached themselves

Parcells played not to lose

But they got away with it because this was when basically you just drafted offensive lines by size rather than actual ability
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

CSKreager wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:47 pm Coaching? Yeah right

Dallas won in spite of Jimmy not because of him

Washington players basically coached themselves

Parcells played not to lose

But they got away with it because this was when basically you just drafted offensive lines by size rather than actual ability
This is becoming more and more of a rant. It feels like listening to a late-night call-in show.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The Cowboys won in spite of Johnson?

I don't think so ... he put the fear of God into his players and they responded. Aikman felt the team was too lax under Switzer and Gailey. Johnson could get away with gambles and hunches better than any HC today. Too bad he couldn't get the same results with the Dolphins.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I said it before and I’ll say it again- it was a top heavy conference. Outside of the 85 Bears/96 Packers, it was basically the 49ers and NFCE carrying the load
Oh, definitely.
You can't be an AFC Champion being average to weak.
Those Bronco teams were average. They had John Elway and not a whole lot else.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Brian wolf wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:00 pm The Cowboys won in spite of Johnson?

I don't think so ... he put the fear of God into his players and they responded. Aikman felt the team was too lax under Switzer and Gailey. Johnson could get away with gambles and hunches better than any HC today. Too bad he couldn't get the same results with the Dolphins.

He was a dictator masquerading as a coach, a better GM than actual sideline day to day coach
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

7DnBrnc53 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:19 pm
I said it before and I’ll say it again- it was a top heavy conference. Outside of the 85 Bears/96 Packers, it was basically the 49ers and NFCE carrying the load
Oh, definitely.
You can't be an AFC Champion being average to weak.
Those Bronco teams were average. They had John Elway and not a whole lot else.
Then how do you explain better Cleveland/Houston rosters losing to basically an average 1 man team?