TCM football movies (Tue, Sep 5, 8pm ET)

fgoodwin

Re: TCM football movies (Tue, Sep 5, 8pm ET)

Post by fgoodwin »

If you have a cable, satellite, or streaming subscription that includes TCM, you can watch these movies for a limited time (for about 30 days after they air) on the WatchTCM app for iOS or Android, or on the Watch TCM webpage.

I am not aware of any way to capture the stream like a DVR would do, but perhaps others less technically challenged than me can chime in.
fgoodwin

Post by fgoodwin »

I just checked TCM and the football movies expire on the following days:

Jim Thorpe--All American Sep 13
North Dallas Forty Sep 13
Paper Lion Sep 19
Semi-Tough Sep 19
Knute Rockne--All American Oct 5
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

Brian wolf wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:51 am I want to see Number One with Charleton Heston.
You can watch it for free at YouTube movies:
https://youtu.be/ISpdetOjdeM?si=t7OwuZgIiTbKAu4j

Theatrical Trailer (1969):
https://youtu.be/jskEGmJm_-I?si=-OOHxaxVoQEsfVCb

http://www.helmethut.com/kilmer.html

https://hornsection.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... 9.html?m=1
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

racepug wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:30 am I'm curious to find out if George Plimpton's last moments on the field for the Lions were as depicted in the movie. They were certainly memorable!
fairly close - thee is film footage of the actual game ... not perfect but ... not bad, either
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

I watched the film last night and had totally forgotten about the footage of the Lions-Cardinals 1967 preseason game at Busch Stadium at the end. If anyone can not access TCM and wants to see the film drop me a PM.
John Maxymuk

Post by John Maxymuk »

Plimpton went to Lions training camp in 1963. Alex Karras was suspended that year and was not there. The movie is set in 1967 and you see rookies like Lem Barney and Mike weger, while the head coach is Joe Schmidt not George Wilson.

Plimpton did not appear in a preseason game with the Lions, only an intrasquad scrimmage. I think the movie footage of the Lions Cardinals is real aside from Alan Alda's appearance. Pete Rozele would not allow Plimpton to appear in a real game, even preseason.

When Plimpton tried this a second time with the Colts in 1971(?) for an ABC TV special, he got to run four plays against the Colts opponent just after the first half ended during a preseason match.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

John Maxymuk wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:34 pm Plimpton went to Lions training camp in 1963. Alex Karras was suspended that year and was not there. The movie is set in 1967 and you see rookies like Lem Barney and Mike weger, while the head coach is Joe Schmidt not George Wilson.

Plimpton did not appear in a preseason game with the Lions, only an intrasquad scrimmage. I think the movie footage of the Lions Cardinals is real aside from Alan Alda's appearance. Pete Rozele would not allow Plimpton to appear in a real game, even preseason.

When Plimpton tried this a second time with the Colts in 1971(?) for an ABC TV special, he got to run four plays against the Colts opponent just after the first half ended during a preseason match.
I hadn't seen Paper Lion in a long time. I enjoy it more now than I did before. It's a kind of time capsule. The Lions went 9-4-1 in 1969 and 10-4 in 1970, winning their last five in a row to win the Wild Card spot for the playoffs. Most of the players shown were still on the team.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Brian wolf wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:51 am North Dallas 40 was really good. Exposed the Cowboys due to Pete Gent's experiences.

I want to see Number One with Charleton Heston.
TCM is showing Number One (1969) on Thursday Morning, October 19, at 6:30 am ET, set your DVR. Charlton Heston is TCM's Star of the Month for October.

Heston plays a 40 year old QB at the end of his career, for the Saints of all people. There are a lot of game shots, locker room and practice scenes.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

My favorite is EVERYBODY'S ALL AMERICAN, but it's not well known. My only copy is on VHS, so when my VCR machine finally dies, I guess I won't be able to see it anymore.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Todd Pence wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:41 pm My favorite is EVERYBODY'S ALL AMERICAN, but it's not well known. My only copy is on VHS, so when my VCR machine finally dies, I guess I won't be able to see it anymore.
I always liked that one, too. Especially the Broncos-Patriots snow game footage.