Obscure trivia

Crazy Packers Fan

Re: Obscure trivia

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

Mark wrote:They were called Divisions prior to 1949. Unless I am missing something I do not see a real change after the change of the name so it seems more a matter of semantics to me.
Well, for the sake of the question, what I was referring to was divisions since 1967. So, the correct answer is not four like I said, but five.

III: Jets-Colts (AFC East, 1970-2001)
XXXVII: Buccaneers-Raiders (AFC West, 1976)
XLIII: Steelers-Cardinals (NFL Century, 1967-1969)
XLVIII: Seahawks-Broncos (AFC West, 1976-2001)
LV: Buccaneers-Chiefs (AFC West, 1976)

I must have successfully wiped out the 2020 season from my memory, because I totally forgot about that one even though I realized the Bucs had been in the AFC West. If there are any others I'm forgetting, let me know.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I have to say this question turned out to be harder than I thought it was when I first saw it!
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Crazy Packers Fan wrote:No, those were conferences, not divisions. The first true divisions came in 1967 with the introduction of the Capital, Century, Central, and Coastal.
A pointless distinction.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

JohnTurney wrote:
Bob Gill wrote:I have no idea what the answer is to that question, but I do know the answer to this related question, so I'll add it to this thread.

When the final game of the regular season ended, this running back had 990-some yards. But he finished as a 1,000-yard rusher. Better yet, this description applies to TWO different backs. Who are they?
One is Mercury Morris. Don't know other one
Dave Hampton of the Falcons.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Gary Najman wrote:
JohnTurney wrote:
Bob Gill wrote:I have no idea what the answer is to that question, but I do know the answer to this related question, so I'll add it to this thread.

When the final game of the regular season ended, this running back had 990-some yards. But he finished as a 1,000-yard rusher. Better yet, this description applies to TWO different backs. Who are they?
One is Mercury Morris. Don't know other one
Dave Hampton of the Falcons.
Oh, sorry, I guess I never did answer that question. It wasn't Hampton. He went the other way -- reached 1,000 yards, then got caught for a 5-yard loss or something and wound up short. The other guy I was talking about was Earnest Byner, with the Browns in 1985. When the final game ended he had something like 995 yards, but there was a penalty on the defense (I believe it was the Jets, and Joe Klecko who got flagged, but I can't guarantee that), so the Browns got to run one more play. Byner ran for eight yards and wound up just over 1,000.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Kurt Gouveia is the only player in NFL history to have all five vowels in his last name.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Todd Pence wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:55 pm Kurt Gouveia is the only player in NFL history to have all five vowels in his last name.
Doug Beaudoin is disappoint.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

2018 was the first season since 1965 in which teams scored more than an average of 2.5 offensive touchdowns per game.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

And we can finally put this one to bed

The New York Jets have beaten the Philadelphia Eagles.

I have my closure for the Eric Allen game.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

JohnH19 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:09 pm
CSKreager wrote:This team had the NFC's #1 offense and beat 4 playoff teams but still missed the playoffs because they lost to 3 last place squads. Name the team.

The ‘03 Vikings.
Wrong

2002 Saints.