Clem Daniels

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Jay Z

Re: Clem Daniels

Post by Jay Z »

Brian wolf wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:32 am John Rauch was a creative offensive coach who learned from Al Davis--the Sid Gillman way--but would and could add wrinkles his own. He also taught Bill Walsh, who was the Raiders backfield coach for one season, before he joined Paul Brown in Cincinatti.

I wonder if Rauch and Davis's dispute at the end of 1968 was more interference related or different offensive philosophies, or both? Yes, Davis is notorious for meddling but I also feel Rauch wanted to run the ball more and have offensive balance while Davis liked bombing defenses with Wells, Biletnikoff, Daniels, Cannon, Smith and Todd. The Raiders inability to have more a running mentality against the Jets in the championship game could have weighed as much on Rauch's mind as any type of Davis overreach but he resigned from the team soon after.
Rauch and Scotty Stirling ran the Raiders when Davis was off being AFL Commissioner. I don't think it ever would have worked out after that. George Halas could defer, Davis couldn't.