"Virtual" chapter of the PFRA

Lee Elder

Re: "Virtual" chapter of the PFRA

Post by Lee Elder »

RyanChristiansen wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:11 pm
rhickok1109 wrote:If it's going to meet on-line, why is there a need for geographic boundaries?
The definition of a chapter in the PFRA is a sub-organization of the PFRA that serves people in a specific geographic area. A virtual chapter that is all-inclusive of PFRA members is simply the PFRA itself but virtually. The PFRA needs to think about how to do more virtual things, perhaps an off-year virtual conference, but a virtual chapter is not the thing.
Where did you get the definition?
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Lee Elder wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:41 am
RyanChristiansen wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:11 pm The definition of a chapter in the PFRA is a sub-organization of the PFRA that serves people in a specific geographic area.
The only chapters the PFRA has or has had have been chapters that serve people in a specific geographic area. SABR chapters follow the same model. I couldn't find anything official in the bylaws, and so common practice/precedent provides the definition. Has an official definition been published that would override common practice and precedent?
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

RyanChristiansen wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:04 am
Lee Elder wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:41 am
RyanChristiansen wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:11 pm The definition of a chapter in the PFRA is a sub-organization of the PFRA that serves people in a specific geographic area.
The only chapters the PFRA has or has had have been chapters that serve people in a specific geographic area. SABR chapters follow the same model. I couldn't find anything official in the bylaws, and so common practice/precedent provides the definition. Has an official definition been published that would override common practice and precedent?
No and that's my point. There is no definition within the parameters of the PFRA. The SABR model has no bearing, since their bylaws are not ours. A virtual PFRA chapter COULD include any football fan with access to the internet from anywhere. The PFRA chapters in Buffalo and Philly do that now. They welcome visitors from elsewhere, they just don't get many.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Lee Elder wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:55 pm A virtual PFRA chapter COULD include any football fan with access to the internet from anywhere. The PFRA chapters in Buffalo and Philly do that now. They welcome visitors from elsewhere, they just don't get many.
Of course, any chapter would welcome outsiders and potential members to gatherings, but geography and travel naturally limit the reach of the gatherings for the Buffalo and Philly chapters, and isn't that a good thing in some ways? Should chapters compete for members by becoming virtual entities that are open to everyone, everywhere?
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

RyanChristiansen wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:41 pm
Lee Elder wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:55 pm A virtual PFRA chapter COULD include any football fan with access to the internet from anywhere. The PFRA chapters in Buffalo and Philly do that now. They welcome visitors from elsewhere, they just don't get many.
Of course, any chapter would welcome outsiders and potential members to gatherings, but geography and travel naturally limit the reach of the gatherings for the Buffalo and Philly chapters, and isn't that a good thing in some ways? Should chapters compete for members by becoming virtual entities that are open to everyone, everywhere?
I don't see it as good or bad. It's just two good groups of football fans. As for the streaming, I'm not sure the return on investment would be enough to make the effort worth it.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Again, I must emphasize that the Buffalo (or WNY) chapter was set up to be regional, so members from Rochester, Syracuse, Erie, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Cleveland, etc. could join us. We have ALWAYS let it be known that everyone is invited. Short of sending the association chopper to pick people up, it couldn't be more open.

I would also like to state for the record that in seven years of annual gatherings, we have welcomed members from ten different states (New York, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Virginia, and Washington DC) and also zoomed a guest speaker in from Texas. I'd say we are pretty darned inclusive.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

JeffreyMiller wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:07 pm Again, I must emphasize that the Buffalo (or WNY) chapter was set up to be regional, so members from Rochester, Syracuse, Erie, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Cleveland, etc. could join us. We have ALWAYS let it be known that everyone is invited. Short of sending the association chopper to pick people up, it couldn't be more open.

I would also like to state for the record that in seven years of annual gatherings, we have welcomed members from ten different states (New York, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Virginia, and Washington DC) and also zoomed a guest speaker in from Texas. I'd say we are pretty darned inclusive.
Agreed!
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

JeffreyMiller wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:07 pm Again, I must emphasize that the Buffalo (or WNY) chapter was set up to be regional, so members from Rochester, Syracuse, Erie, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Cleveland, etc. could join us. We have ALWAYS let it be known that everyone is invited. Short of sending the association chopper to pick people up, it couldn't be more open.

Okay. I want to try and break through this discussion.

If a guest speaker can be zoomed in from Texas, could an attendee also zoom in? And if that, can more than one attendee zoom in?

Some of this just seems to be coming down to semantics. Like the definition of a chapter.

I have been a member for a long time. Love writing for the books. Written a couple of Coffin Corner articles, need to write more. Pay my dues, love the member content and the gamebooks. Been to one conference, would like to go to more but I'm a single dad and parenting or cost gets in the way most of the time.

What I hear is that people would like to meet virtually. I know that at one time the group went a long time without having conferences. I do not know if the officers of the group at the time were required to be able to meet in person. I don't know that now. I appreciate the hell out of everything that a lot of people do for this group to keep it going. But I am here for the content and the interest I have in football history and because people keep it running on a practical basis. I admit I am less concerned in the definition of a chapter and officer structure. Though I don't want the group to become chaotic, so anything that is needed there helps.

So would the Buffalo chapter be able to hold Zoom meetings that anyone could attend or speak at? Would someone be able to start a Seattle chapter if he or she doesn't live close to any other member? By meeting virtually? The main thing here is people seem to want to meet on Zoom or its equivalent.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

There's an association chopper? NOW you tell me.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Ken Crippen wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:01 pm
There's an association chopper? NOW you tell me.
Surprised you didn't know. Here's some members catching a ride to the Pittsburgh convention.
PFRA chopper.JPG
PFRA chopper.JPG (52.5 KiB) Viewed 1022 times