Opinion question...what was the worst pass in NFL history?

GameBeforeTheMoney

Re: Opinion question...what was the worst pass in NFL histor

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

First one I thought of was Favre in OT against the Eagles in the 4th and 26 game. But reading the post, I have to admit Garo Yepremian is right up there.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Brian wolf wrote:What do you think Richard ? Did Plum waive off a run-play called by Paul Brown trying to be daring or did Brown call the pass play? I know Plum was fed up running his plays but did Brown allow him some lee-way to change it ?
HC George Wilson called that pass play, and he took a ton of heat for it. Funny thing is, he called the exact same play in similar circumstances the following week, and this time it worked, Plum hooking up with Gail Cogdill to set up a game-winning 47-yd FG (by Plum, of all people) to beat the Rams.

I always felt Plum was unduly maligned for that interception. The pass was where it should've been, only Barr slipped while making the cut. I suppose Plum could've audibled to a run...but whatever, it's been 60 long years. We Detroit fans are almost over it...almost.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Sorry Richard, I goofed, I was thinking about his time in Cleveland rather than Detroit. Even though I still wonder if Brown gave him the leeway to change plays with the Browns.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Brian wolf wrote:I knew someone would bring up this play but honestly, I felt the pass was fine but high. However, Lockette didnt go after it aggressively and Butler did instead, thus the interception. Both corners for NE, Revis and former Seahawk Brandon Browner, were outstanding on this play ...
Nah.

The Seahawks ran more, and passed less, than ANY OTHER TEAM in the NFL in 2014. Lynch ran the ball 24 times, which is more than Wilson passed it (21 times.) Lynch had just gone over 100 yards, 24 for 102. It's the ultimate game, you let them beat your best. That wasn't the Seahawks' best by a long shot. It was a "cute" play that had halfhearted execution because it ran against what the team did best.

Even if Lockette catches the ball, he's getting tackled for no gain. There are so many other pass plays on the freaking one yard line that you can call where the QB can throw it away if it isn't right, which is absolutely what you need to be able to do. The Patriots had just scored on a short pass play, but that wasn't some gadget play requiring pinpoint execution, the receiver was open. You only call that play if you can't run the ball at all, which wasn't the case here. Horrible play call.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

1945 NFL Championship game.

Game tied 0-0 in the first quarter and Washington has the ball at their own five-yard-line. Quarterback Sammy Baugh drops back into his own end zone to pass and his throw hits the goal post, by rules at the time a safety for the Rams.

Cleveland wins the game 15-14.

In off-season meetings after the game, the rule is changed.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Other bad passes in huge postseason games ...

*SB I ... Len Dawson is blitzed by the Packers, throws off his backfoot and is intercepted by Willie Wood. The Packers get a TD and hold a commanding 21-10 lead they never lose.

*SB III ... Huge interception by Morrall into the middle of the field when he didnt see his wide-open receiver Orr, in the endzone ... the play was supposed to be a sure TD for the Colts but Orr's jersey may have blended in with the Baltimore band member uniforms, who were also in the area ...

*SB VII ... The Redskins finally drive against the Dolphins and with TE Jerry Smith wide open in the endzone, Kilmer's pass hits the upright ... Head Referee Tommy Bell looked at Kilmer and said, "Billy, youre having a terrible day" ...

*1979/80 SB ... Ferragamo throws a late interception right to Lambert of the Steelers.
take away this throw and the Rams probably win.

*1980/81 SB ... Jaworski for the Eagles threw two interceptions right to Rod Martin for the Raiders.

*1988/89 SB ... Even the great Joe Montana throws a pass into the hands of Lewis Billups in the Bengals endzone but he is so surprised ... he drops it. Montana throws a TD to Rice on the very next play that will tie the game at 13-13.

*1997/98 SB ... One of many bad passes from Favre in the postseason, he telegraphs a late pass to the covered Chmura that is batted down by the Broncos, giving them their first SB victory ...

*2000/01 SB ... The Giants Kerry Collins against the Ravens ... Where do I start?

*2002/03 SB ... Rich Gannon throws two bad interceptions that are returned for TDs by the Bucs.

*2008/09 SB ... Warner misjudges the drop by Harrison of the Steelers, throws the pass that is intercepted from goalline to a goalline TD ... The Cardinals rally but allow a dubious TD that gives the Rooney family another trophy.

Okay, ... I will stop
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Brian wolf wrote:Sorry Richard, I goofed, I was thinking about his time in Cleveland rather than Detroit. Even though I still wonder if Brown gave him the leeway to change plays with the Browns.
That's ok. It's the holidays. Too much lime vodka or a plate of spoiled pierogis and suddenly a guy's confusing Aunt Sophie with Howard Cosell.
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Favre's interception vs. the Saints in 2009 NFC Playoffs.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Dirk wrote:Favre's interception vs. the Saints in 2009 NFC Playoffs.
Yeah, that one. Off all of his INTs that was probably the dumbest. Satisfying as a Packers fan I must say.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Laughs. Favre has a least three ints listed and we're only on page 2. He made some of the greatest plays I've ever seen and some of the worst. "Live by the Favre, Die by the Favre" I used to say.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael