"Name the Game" trivia

74_75_78_79_

Re: "Name the Game" trivia

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

This game was between two teams that would end up making the playoffs. Both HC’s are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Two different players in this game scored back-to-back TDs, and each one is also in the PFHOF. The 3rd quarter was scoreless but every other quarter (1st, 2nd, and 4th) each had the same total amount of points scored between both teams. The home team wore their white jerseys.
Wendell02

Post by Wendell02 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:This game was between two teams that would end up making the playoffs. Both HC’s are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Two different players in this game scored back-to-back TDs, and each one is also in the PFHOF. The 3rd quarter was scoreless but every other quarter (1st, 2nd, and 4th) each had the same total amount of points scored between both teams. The home team wore their white jerseys.
Bumping this up and throwing in the towel. I assumed this was a regular season tie game or overtime game between playoff-bound teams. I found 9 such games (including 2 in the AAFC), however none appear to match the quarterly scoring criteria. Was this an incorrect assumption on my part?
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Wendell02 wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:This game was between two teams that would end up making the playoffs. Both HC’s are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Two different players in this game scored back-to-back TDs, and each one is also in the PFHOF. The 3rd quarter was scoreless but every other quarter (1st, 2nd, and 4th) each had the same total amount of points scored between both teams. The home team wore their white jerseys.
Bumping this up and throwing in the towel. I assumed this was a regular season tie game or overtime game between playoff-bound teams. I found 9 such games (including 2 in the AAFC), however none appear to match the quarterly scoring criteria. Was this an incorrect assumption on my part?
I didn’t word it good enough. Meant to say that the total points scored in the 1st Q were also the same amount of total points scored in the 2nd, and also in the 4th. Not necessarily both teams in either, or all, cases/quarters scoring the same amount as the other. One team could have outscored the other in one, two, or all three of the quarters. Also, maybe in one, two, or three of the cases/quarters, one of the two teams did all of the scoring. But, again, in each quarter besides the scoreless 3rd, the same amount of total points were scored.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

*A HOF player had 1 rushing attempt for 9 yards and zero receptions
*Two RBs with the same last name combined for 51 yards rushing
*Both teams wore orange pants
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

*A HOF player had 1 rushing attempt for 9 yards and zero receptions
*Two RBs with the same last name combined for 51 yards rushing
*Both teams wore orange pants
11/12/78 - Broncos 19, Browns 7
Ozzie Newsome - 9 yards rushing
Mike Pruitt - 50 yards rushing
Greg Pruitt - 1 yard rushing

I always assumed that the Pruitts were brothers but found out within the last 5-10 years or so that they're no relation.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Great trivia! I think the orange pants may have given it away. 8-)
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

sluggermatt15 wrote:Great trivia! I think the orange pants may have given it away. 8-)
My first thought was that it had to be a Broncos/Buccaneers game and the same last name guys a Johnson and Smith or something like that on each team. Then I thought of the Browns, and then the Pruitts. So I started looking at Browns vs. Denver and Tampa Bay games in which they both played in. I didn't even think of Newsome until I found the game.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote:Great trivia! I think the orange pants may have given it away. 8-)
My first thought was that it had to be a Broncos/Buccaneers game and the same last name guys a Johnson and Smith or something like that on each team. Then I thought of the Browns, and then the Pruitts. So I started looking at Browns vs. Denver and Tampa Bay games in which they both played in. I didn't even think of Newsome until I found the game.
I followed a similar path...
I had guessed Browns and Broncos but wrongly assumed the HoFer was Elway.
As I could find no game in which he had one carry for nine yards I was stymied.
Nice work, Chris!
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Great job, Chris! You did very well.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I was wondering how many games had both teams wearing orange pants. The Broncos only had them for a few years, and they didn't play the Browns that often.