HOF: Underrepresented Position by Era

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
TanksAndSpartans

HOF: Underrepresented Position by Era

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I feel the HOF doesn't have many '50s receivers. In my opinion Billy Howton and Billy Wilson are two of the best and neither is in. I don't even recall much of a push for either on our board or elsewhere.

Can anyone think of similar examples? Let's stick to post 1930 - I feel every position is underrepresented before that date. Finally, I know decades are arbitrary, so any roughly 10 year period is fine.
JeffreyMiller

Re: HOF: Underrepresented Position by Era

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Del Schofner is worthy of consideration. I know his name has come up in the past, but so far, nada!

Harlon Hill has always been a favorite of mine, but his peak simply is too short. Still, he had some monster years in the 50s, averaging 24 ypc in 1956 and 25 ypc in 1954. The guy had 32 TD rec in his first three seasons!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I always thought those twin Eagles ends of the era, Pete Retzlaff and Bobby Walston, deserved consideration. I'm probably influenced by Walston's placekicking, but Retzlaff was remarkably consistent and saved his best season (1,190 yards) for his second-to-last year. Both played for over a decade in Phila. and made the Pro Bowl multiple times. And of course, NFL champs in 1960.
TanksAndSpartans

JeffreyMiller wrote:Harlon Hill has always been a favorite of mine, but his peak simply is too short. Still, he had some monster years in the 50s, averaging 24 ypc in 1956 and 25 ypc in 1954. The guy had 32 TD rec in his first three seasons!
I may not be remembering this right, but I've spoken with the guy who owns Rare Sports Films and I think he told me Harlon Hill commissioned him to put together a couple videos. Hill definitely stands out in the old Tel Ra highlights.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Billy Wilson is another underappreciated receiver from the 50s era
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Feels like 80's Safeties fit the bill as well.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I agree with 50s receivers ...

Howton, Wilson, Hill but also Hugh Taylor and possibly the first great TE or last Single wing receiver, Elbie Nickel. I liked Ray Renfro as well ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

It may have been presented before but another underepresented position for at least the 80s on up, is the nose/shade tackle position. Though many people were not happy with Curley Culp being elected to the HOF, I was delighted and believed it was time, though his and Robinson's elections, have probably shut the door on Tyrer, Budde and Haynes getting elected.

Who will be the next nose tackle, or for that matter any defensive tackle ? Seymour has a chance as a modern player but Bryant Young missed the finalist cut today.

Smerlas is probably the logical choice with great quickness but Ted Washington was excellent as well. As a pass rushing tackle that played a lot of shade as well, Henry Thomas is deserving with 93 sacks. Krumrie was in on over 1000 tackles on the nose and others deserve distinction as well. Interior offensive and defensive linemen deserve more due ...
JWL

Post by JWL »

Brian wolf wrote: Who will be the next nose tackle, or for that matter any defensive tackle ?
Kevin Williams maybe
TanksAndSpartans

Brian wolf wrote:I agree with 50s receivers ...

Howton, Wilson, Hill but also Hugh Taylor and possibly the first great TE or last Single wing receiver, Elbie Nickel. I liked Ray Renfro as well ...
I nominated Nickel for HOVG a few times, but never got him on the ballot. I think he was more deserving than Buddy Young. I'll go further and say I think Nickel is a perfect fit for the HOVG. He's in the Steelers Hall of Honor, etc.

I think Young was a talent and the heart of his team's offense in the AAFC, but from a resume point of view, I don't see it. He certainly wasn't able to average 6 yards per carry in the NFL. In my opinion, the person who really has to thank Young is Spec Sanders. I don't think Sanders puts up those numbers without the outside threat Young provided. Or put another way, I think other backs could have put up similar numbers to Sanders if paired with Young.