No Dolphins Kickoff in a Game

Bryan

Re: No Dolphins Kickoff in a Game

Post by Bryan »

I believe this happened in the 1986 NFC Championship game. The Giants elected to play with the wind, and ended up kicking off to Washington in both halves. Washington never scored, the Giants have no kick returns listed in the game stats, so I am pretty certain the Redskins did not kickoff at all in that game. As an aside, that was one of the worst games I have ever seen...Jay Schroeder throwing incompletions, Steve Cox punting, the Giants content to sit on their lead.
Throwin_Samoan

Post by Throwin_Samoan »

Bryan wrote:I believe this happened in the 1986 NFC Championship game. The Giants elected to play with the wind, and ended up kicking off to Washington in both halves. Washington never scored, the Giants have no kick returns listed in the game stats, so I am pretty certain the Redskins did not kickoff at all in that game. As an aside, that was one of the worst games I have ever seen...Jay Schroeder throwing incompletions, Steve Cox punting, the Giants content to sit on their lead.
It did.

From the official game book:

(First Quarter) "Giants won toss, elected to kick off; Skins defend West goal."
(Third Quarter) "Skins will receive, Giants defend West goal, against wind."

Every Giants possession came because of a Washington punt, interception, fumble or turnover on downs. They did not kick off. Kicker Jess Atkinson's only action was lining up for a 51-yard field goal in the second quarter that resulted in a fumbled snap.
CraigRye

Post by CraigRye »

Ok then one final question, does anyone know the last time this happened?
CraigRye

Post by CraigRye »

Thanks for the list, so very rare then not surprisingly...