XFL rules differences

lastcat3

Re: XFL rules differences

Post by lastcat3 »

rhickok1109 wrote:
lastcat3 wrote:I tried watching some of the Landry Jones game because I watched him play while he was at OU. I tell you the quality of play of that game (and seemingly week 2 in general) was just terrible. If this league wants to make it into year 2 and still have anybody still caring about it at all they really need to do something about the qb play. The other issue is that if the quarterback manages to throw it accurately and the receiver manages to catch it you can pretty much count on a big YAC play because the tackling is so terrible. Tackling seems to be better in college than it is here. A lot of that probably has to do with the fact that they have played together longer in college but the poor tackling and defensive coverage in the XFL is very noticeable.

I'm honestly not sure why Bob Stoops chose to come into this league instead of taking over another major college program.
What can they do to improve QB play? There aren't enough quality QBs to go around in the NFL and most of the league's back QBs are suspect, to say the least, so what kind of quality can be left over for another league?
Probably nothing. And maybe that is just an indication that there isn't a market for minor league football on television (at least not for the way the game is played today). Maybe for the next venture into minor league football they need to just set it up to where it will not be televised and will just be something people can go watch who live nearby. Wouldn't attract any borderline NFL talent and no former nfl or big time college coaches but at least it would be something for people to watch who live locally.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

rhickok1109 wrote:What can they do to improve QB play? There aren't enough quality QBs to go around in the NFL and most of the league's back QBs are suspect, to say the least, so what kind of quality can be left over for another league?
I think it's more a question of how much time do you want to give the QB in the pocket? My understanding is that today's quarterback has less and less time to make decisions and throw the ball because of the defensive pass rush. I say adopt the CFL rule that uses a full yard of neutral zone.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

JWL wrote:
sheajets wrote:One of the first plays I saw the other day (at the Metlife Stadium game, not sure the names of the teams but one was wearing neon clownsuits)
Well, that's just like your opinion, man.

sheajets wrote:Perfectly clean hit down the middle on a pass completion, and out come the flags once again penalizing good quality textbook hitting (no targeting, no leading with the helmet) because they deem somebody "defenseless". The TV went off immediately.
Fair enough although it is a shame you will accept that from the NFL but not from a lesser league. The XFL is really up against it here if a lot of people take this stance.
It's not easy swallowing it from the NFL either. But if I'm looking for something out of a pro football league going forward (which the NFL does not provide) it's more thunderous (though clean) hitting. Just because a QB gets his facemask grazed or a defender times a perfect hit down the middle doesn't mean we need flags. It's a game not marred by too many replays or weak calls in the secondary. Let defenders defend.

Maybe I'll give it another go. I don't hate the XFL or anything, it just hasn't provided me yet with what's lacking in the NFL. That's what I want. Not wacky new rules or "safer" this and that. I'm not looking for safe and boring (though yes, easy for me to say I'm not being sued)
65 toss power trap

Post by 65 toss power trap »

As far as what is being done differently by the XFL to avoid the demise of the AAF is investment capital. In the rush to beat out the XFL a year early, Charlie Ebersol clearly did not have his capital investors cemented, losing funding at multiple junctures along the way, and ceding the fate of the league to the last major investor. That's not to say that the XFL operates the season at a profit, but they are not going to lose their primary investor at any point during the season. The AAF long-term plan was to achieve profitability in Season 3, but there was no sustainable plan with patient investors who eventually saw the AAF as a house of cards.

The one plus for the NFL is that this is a great development opportunity for officiating. Not quite NFL level, but it is still professional football, and a D-League that the NFL has sorely missed for their new officials. Five of the first-year NFL officials in 2019 worked the AAF, the sixth one was a CFL veteran. So they had a little more than just a preseason game or two (or none!) to be evaluated on. I know it would make strange bedfellows to partner with Vince McMahon, but the NFL would be wise to subsidize a spring league to keep this development/evaluation channel open.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

65 toss power trap wrote:As far as what is being done differently by the XFL to avoid the demise of the AAF is investment capital. In the rush to beat out the XFL a year early, Charlie Ebersol clearly did not have his capital investors cemented, losing funding at multiple junctures along the way, and ceding the fate of the league to the last major investor. That's not to say that the XFL operates the season at a profit, but they are not going to lose their primary investor at any point during the season. The AAF long-term plan was to achieve profitability in Season 3, but there was no sustainable plan with patient investors who eventually saw the AAF as a house of cards.

The one plus for the NFL is that this is a great development opportunity for officiating. Not quite NFL level, but it is still professional football, and a D-League that the NFL has sorely missed for their new officials. Five of the first-year NFL officials in 2019 worked the AAF, the sixth one was a CFL veteran. So they had a little more than just a preseason game or two (or none!) to be evaluated on. I know it would make strange bedfellows to partner with Vince McMahon, but the NFL would be wise to subsidize a spring league to keep this development/evaluation channel open.
Will never happen as college football is already the NFL's developmental league.
single wing

Post by single wing »

THe XFL’s ratings fell again in Week 3. After a 34 percent drop in average audience from Week 1 to Week 2, there was a further 23 percent drop from Week 2 to Week 3. Overall, the Week 3 average audience was just 52 percent of the Week 1 audience.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

single wing wrote:THe XFL’s ratings fell again in Week 3. After a 34 percent drop in average audience from Week 1 to Week 2, there was a further 23 percent drop from Week 2 to Week 3. Overall, the Week 3 average audience was just 52 percent of the Week 1 audience.
We'll have to see what the ratings for the games of this weekend turn out to be. If the ratings still have not stabilized than I have a feeling there likely will not be a season 2 (at least not one that will be aired on the major networks and I have a feeling Mcmahon will drop the league if he can't get them on the major networks). They aren't going to want to put games on ABC or Fox if the games start to barely get a million viewers. Not from a league that has only been around for one season.
single wing

Post by single wing »

XFL TV ratings continue to fall Week by Week
Week 2 down 34% from Week 1,
Week 3 down 23% from Week 2,
Week 4 down 10% from Week 3
Week 5 15% down from Week 4.

Overall Week5 is down 61% from Week 1
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Looks like the XFL will be suspending the season due to the corona virus. Chances of them coming back for a season 2 are probably slim to none.
single wing

Post by single wing »

lastcat3 wrote:Looks like the XFL will be suspending the season due to the corona virus. Chances of them coming back for a season 2 are probably slim to none.

I tend to agree with you. Have severe doubts it will come back next year,