History of the onside kick

ChrisBabcock

History of the onside kick

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I'm currently reading Ken Crippen's book about the AAFC Buffalo Bills. There is mention of an onside kick in a 1948 game against Brooklyn. Which got me thinking... How and when did the current specialized NFL rules regarding onside kickoffs come about? Wikipedia does give some very basic history. Also, with current rule changes, this may be a play that's slowly making its way out of the game of football. NFL at least.
rhickok1109

Re: History of the onside kick

Post by rhickok1109 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:I'm currently reading Ken Crippen's book about the AAFC Buffalo Bills. There is mention of an onside kick in a 1948 game against Brooklyn. Which got me thinking... How and when did the current specialized NFL rules regarding onside kickoffs come about? Wikipedia does give some very basic history. Also, with current rule changes, this may be a play that's slowly making its way out of the game of football. NFL at least.
The onside kick has always been part of American football. In fact, it comes directly from Rugby.

In the early days of American football, there was no requirement that the kickoff had to go 10 yards. The kicker could simply tap the ball forward a few inches and then kick it back to a teammate. The 10-yard requirement came into effect in 1894.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

New rules for kickoff options (at least for this season's Pro Bowl):
(Soon there may be no more onside kick)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... n-pro-bowl

"This rule tweak is the latest attempt to minimize kickoffs, which are among the most dangerous plays in football. "
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

JuggernautJ wrote:New rules for kickoff options (at least for this season's Pro Bowl):

"This rule tweak is the latest attempt to minimize kickoffs, which are among the most dangerous plays in football. "
And then when they outlaw the kickoff some other play will become the most dangerous play. Then they will outlaw that play, etc.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Typically I do not watch the Pro Bowl, but I might this year because of this new onside kick suggestion. It sounds interesting.