Who is your team?

rhickok1109

Re: Who is your team?

Post by rhickok1109 »

Packers. I grew up in Green Bay, graduated from the same high school as Curly Lambeau (and Jim Crowley, Lombardi's college coach). My dad was the Packers' official scorer and I was in the pressbox for every Packer home game from 1947 until I went off to college in 1955.

Even though the Packers had terrible teams during that period, there's still a soft spot in my heart for them and I fondly remember players like Tony Canadeo (a neighbor), Bob Forte, Bobby Dan Dillon, Val Joe Walker, Clayton Tonnemaker, Dave Hanner, Ab Wimberly, Billy Grimes, and many more.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

That's a good question. Probably the 60s Browns, then the Patriots from 70s onward if we're getting technical.

But after watching the 1984 Red Sox give away the World Series, I vowed to not be a die-hard fan of any team in any sport (much as I love MLB and Pro Football). Nowadays, I wish what would be my "favorite team" well, and avoid getting too invested. Works for me, anyway.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

bachslunch wrote:That's a good question. Probably the 60s Browns, then the Patriots from 70s onward if we're getting technical.

But after watching the 1984 Red Sox give away the World Series, I vowed to not be a die-hard fan of any team in any sport (much as I love MLB and Pro Football). Nowadays, I wish what would be my "favorite team" well, and avoid getting too invested. Works for me, anyway.
Not to try and corner you or anything. But how? Your team was the Browns. Why change to anybody else?
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Growing in Mexico City in the 1970s there were two main options: the Cowboys and the Steelers (all their games were broadcasted south of the border by the two networks at the time). I'm a Cowboys fan, and I prefer Staubach, Dorsett and Pearson over Aikman, Smith and Irvin. And I believe that until Jerry Jones no longer will be the General Manager we can get back to the NFC Championship game.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

sheajets wrote:
bachslunch wrote:That's a good question. Probably the 60s Browns, then the Patriots from 70s onward if we're getting technical.

Not to try and corner you or anything. But how? Your team was the Browns. Why change to anybody else?
Moved to a different part of the US. Wasn't all-in committed anyway, which is why it's a "good question."
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

bachslunch wrote:
sheajets wrote:

Moved to a different part of the US. Wasn't all-in committed anyway, which is why it's a "good question."
And it was at that time where once you move, you're going to be hard pressed to follow that team and be on top of everything in real time or see any of its games. Now we take that for granted

1986 Red Sox you mean?

Mets used up a lot of magic that year, 1973, and 1969. And we've been paying back our debt in a lot of heartbreak since. But at least I have 1986.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I started rooting for the Broncos in the early-80's because I liked the Orange Crush defense. I also liked the 49ers as my favorite NFC team because of their rise to power, but my like for them waned, and by 1990, I hated them (and still do to this day).

Also, I used to hate the Steelers (it was a family rivalry thing. My family liked the Steelers, so I went another way), but that changed in the late-80's to early-90's. Now, the 70's Steelers are one of my favorite historical teams.

As for the Patriots, I didn't dislike them growing up. I remember pulling for them in 85 against the Raiders in the AFC Divisional Round. I liked Andre Tippett. And, in the 90's, I was a fan of Bledsoe. However, since 2001, they have gotten on my nerves. They win in spite of not being that good because of cheating and smoke and mirror plays (and a division with derelicts, for the most part).
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:I started rooting for the Broncos in the early-80's because I liked the Orange Crush defense. I also liked the 49ers as my favorite NFC team because of their rise to power, but my like for them waned, and by 1990, I hated them (and still do to this day).

Also, I used to hate the Steelers (it was a family rivalry thing. My family liked the Steelers, so I went another way), but that changed in the late-80's to early-90's. Now, the 70's Steelers are one of my favorite historical teams.

As for the Patriots, I didn't dislike them growing up. I remember pulling for them in 85 against the Raiders in the AFC Divisional Round. I liked Andre Tippett. And, in the 90's, I was a fan of Bledsoe. However, since 2001, they have gotten on my nerves. They win in spite of not being that good because of cheating and smoke and mirror plays (and a division with derelicts, for the most part).
I remember they were on the brink of moving and...nobody really cared (not that any team should have been moved to St. Louis which is just not a dedicated football town)
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

sheajets wrote:1986 Red Sox you mean?

Mets used up a lot of magic that year, 1973, and 1969. And we've been paying back our debt in a lot of heartbreak since. But at least I have 1986.
Yup, it was 1986. My bad. Then again, maybe it's not so surprising I've forgotten -- wish fulfillment, maybe. :)
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Always wondered what the Colts fan was doing 1983-1996? Of course many just cut all ties with the franchise and then sort of went...dormant? Only to resurface again when the Browns moved.

In the interim though, probably just migrated to the Redskins and remained there