Longtime starters with no Pro Bowl/All-Pro/All-Conference

JeffreyMiller

Re: Longtime starters with no Pro Bowl/All-Pro/All-Conferenc

Post by JeffreyMiller »

JameisLoseston wrote:
SixtiesFan wrote:
Yeah, he and Plunkett were certainly not as whelmingly mediocre as Flacco. The funny thing is, I can't tell any difference in overall performance between these two, who received absolutely no recognition, and other 70s guys guys like Stabler, Namath, Griese, and Bradshaw who made the HOF. It's very easy to conclude that anything involving voting was nothing but a popularity contest in this era.
Growing up a Bills fan, Fergy was the man throughout the 70s and early 80s. My Dad would always criticize him, but I defended him because, well, "that's my quarterback." Now however, watching the films of those games from that era, I see how erratic he could be. He was heroic in the playoff loss to San Diego, and had some other brilliant moments as mentioned, but he could also be horrible when they needed him most. One thing is for sure, he was one tough SOB!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Mark Bruener
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Marvcus Patton
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Kyle Clifton
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Kyle Clifton
conace21

Post by conace21 »

JeffreyMiller wrote:
JameisLoseston wrote:
SixtiesFan wrote:
Yeah, he and Plunkett were certainly not as whelmingly mediocre as Flacco. The funny thing is, I can't tell any difference in overall performance between these two, who received absolutely no recognition, and other 70s guys guys like Stabler, Namath, Griese, and Bradshaw who made the HOF. It's very easy to conclude that anything involving voting was nothing but a popularity contest in this era.
Growing up a Bills fan, Fergy was the man throughout the 70s and early 80s. My Dad would always criticize him, but I defended him because, well, "that's my quarterback." Now however, watching the films of those games from that era, I see how erratic he could be. He was heroic in the playoff loss to San Diego, and had some other brilliant moments as mentioned, but he could also be horrible when they needed him most. One thing is for sure, he was one tough SOB!
Ferguson probably deserved to make the Pro Bowl in 1975 over Dan Pastorini. Conrad Dobler and Fred Smerlas both wrote their autobiographies in the mid-late 80's, and both had high praise for Joe.... "a lineman in a quarterback's body.... if I was in a bar full of Hell's Angel's, I can honestly say I'd be comfortable if the only friendly face I saw was Fergy's.... a perfectionist."

That said, he certainly could be inconsistent. The Bills' Silver Anniversary Team was selected in 1984, when Ferguson was near the end of his Bills career, and Jack Kemp was selected as the QB. I can't say I disagree. Kemp was every bit the leader that Joe was, and maybe a little bit more. Add the Kemp's individual honors and the two AFL championships, and it was a no-brainer, even though Joe had better stats (without accounting for eras.)
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Ray Crockett
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Three mainstays for the Redskins during the glory years under Gibbs 1.0 -- Don Warren, Monte Coleman and Jeff Bostic.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

conace21 wrote:Stan Brock (previously mentioned,) Brad Meester, Dominic Raiola and Wayne Gandy are the only players to start 200+ games and never receive postseason honors.
#UNIFight!

(Man, I got to post that twice within a few days here ... that NEVER happens)
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

James Jones, DT, 140 regular season starts plus 3 playoff games over 160 games/10 seasons.

(Oh ... and #UNIFight! for the trifecta ... okay, I'm done).
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen