2010s All-Decade

JohnTurney

2010s All-Decade

Post by JohnTurney »

Close to that time for All-Decade----my picks as of now, some of the 2nd teamer
barely beat out some HMs and thing could change---especially on oline

but would like to see other peoples picks.

The Atheltic did an All-Decade, maybe as Chair of Awards
committee I can propose we could do an PFRA 2010s All-Decades as long
as it's okay with the bylaws

We can set up and format (AP version with the 5 DBs and "flex"
or what I have done---and anyone interested can email me
and I can tally the votes and the Coffin Corner could publish

Anyway, if we get a good response here I will do the legwork
I'd estimate we'd need about 20 members to vote to make it
diverse and legit, maybe a bit less

thoughts?

Julio Jones —WR — Calvin Johnson
Antonio Brown —WR — Larry Fitzgerald
Rob Gronkowski— TE— Jimmy Graham
Joe Thomas — T — Jason Peters
Tyron Smith — T — Andrew Whitworth
Zack Martin — G — Jahri Evans
Marshall Yanda — G — Mike Iupati
Jason Kelce — C — Ryan Kalil
Tom Brady — QB —Aaron Rodgers
Kyle Juszczyk — FB — Mike Tolbert
Adrian Peterson — RB — LeSean McCoy
Marshawn Lynch — RB — Frank Gore

3rd WR
3rd Down Back

Defense
JJ Watt — Power end — Calais Campbell
Chandler Jones — Rush end — Cameron Jordan
Aaron Donald— Rush Tackle — Geno Atkins
Damion Harrison— Shade Tackle — Vince Wilfork
Von Miller — Rush backer — Khalil Mack
Luke Keuchly MLB —Bobby Wagner
Lavonte David — OLB —Thomas Davis
Richard Sherman— CB — Patrick Peterson
Darrelle Revis — CB — Aqib Talib
Eric Berry — SS — Kam Chancellor
Earl Thomas — FS — Eric Weddle

5th DB
Designated Rush

Special Teams
Justin Tucker — K — Stephen Gostkowski
Johnny Hekker —P — Thomas Morstead
Cordarrelle Patterson — KR — Jacoby Jones
Devin Hester — PR — Darren Sproles
Matthew Slater — ST — Justin Bethel
Bill Belichick — Coach — Pete Carroll
Reaser

Re: 2010s All-Deacade

Post by Reaser »

In the past I've proposed the PFRA should do 'awards' such as this, also. If it happens, just have a committee / or since we already have an Awards committee use that and they can select a group of x-amount of people (11? since I'm about to go on my usual "only 11" rant) to vote that they feel are most qualified or whatever.

I'm a stickler for 11 on offense and 11 on defense, for numerous reasons but the primary one is because that's how many there is on the field.

For example, high school all-league teams came out in my area this week and it's annoying to see 19 First-team All-League Offensive players and 16 First-team defensive players, and that's for a little 6-team league! Then basically anyone who started a game this season gets thrown on the bloated 2nd-team and honorable mention lists. Takes away from the honor and much different from how it used to be, and really "All's" should be telling a/the story and history of that season and don't get that anymore. Also view it as lazy, instead of making a tough choice, this RB or that RB, lets just pick them both and make-up spots for another RB or three also. Too much "everyone gets a trophy" for my liking and goes back to only 11 play on offense and only 11 play on defense. Not going to trot out your "first-team offense" and have 14, 16, 19 guys in the huddle.

Always bugged me, at any and all levels of football and any and all selectors who go beyond 11. Just me, though.
JWL

Re: 2010s All-Decade

Post by JWL »

I will post my selections here asap
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

JohnTurney wrote:Close to that time for All-Decade----my picks as of now, some of the 2nd teamer
barely beat out some HMs and thing could change---especially on oline

but would like to see other peoples picks.

The Atheltic did an All-Decade, maybe as Chair of Awards
committee I can propose we could do an PFRA 2010s All-Decades as long
as it's okay with the bylaws

We can set up and format (AP version with the 5 DBs and "flex"
or what I have done---and anyone interested can email me
and I can tally the votes and the Coffin Corner could publish

Anyway, if we get a good response here I will do the legwork
I'd estimate we'd need about 20 members to vote to make it
diverse and legit, maybe a bit less

thoughts?
I think it is a great idea and perfect for the Awards Committee. As Reaser mentioned, we discussed doing this for all decades and we can revisit it again after the 2010s.

As far as bylaws, there is nothing that would prevent this from happening. The only caveat is that if we are putting the PFRA name on it, the voters should be PFRA members. Otherwise, you can design it as you see fit. Once the team is named, we can publish it in The Coffin Corner (as you mentioned) and put out a press release.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JohnTurney wrote:
Justin Tucker — K — Stephen Gostkowski
You'll get no complaint on me from Tucker, he is clearly the kicker of the decade. As for Gostkowski, while he does score points at a record rate, he gets a huge advantage for playing for one of the most dominant offensive machines in pro football history that gives him numerous opportunities for all those field goal and extra point attempts. I have always felt Gostkowski is somewhat overrated and think it is worth looking at the top kickers of the decade from 2010-2018 and see how their aggregate stats stacked up.

I wound up choosing the top 21 kickers from 2010-18 in kicking points scored, points just from field goals and extra points. Here are their rankings in a dozen different categories:

I'll have to explain many of these rankings:

K% is short for kicking percentage, which is a little stat I came up with, and the formula is K% = 100* (XPM + 3*FGM)/(XPA + 3*FGA). In short, it is a ratio between how many points a kicker actually scored on his kicks, and how many he could have scored had he been successful on all of his kicks. A kicker with a K% of 90 means he was successful on converting 90 percent of all the points he attempted. A perfect score is obviously 100.

FG% is obviously field goal percentage.

PAL is Points Above League, and for each kicker in each season, the formula is: PAL = (KXPM + 3*KFGM) - ((KXPA * (LXPM - KXPM)/(LXPA - KXPA)) + 3* (KFGA * (LFGM - KFGM)/(LFGA - KFGA)).

PAL is basically points scored by the kicker, minus the kickers' extra point attempts multiplied by the league XP percentage (with the kicker stats removed), minus three times the kickers' field goal attempts multiplied by the league FG percentage (with the kickers stats removed). The result is the number of points above or below average the kicker was relative to the league (compared to how many points an average league kicker would have scored given the same number of field goal and extra point attempts). If the PAL is positive, the kicker is above average, and if the PAL is negative, the kicker is below average relative to that season.

P/PT is 100*PAL divided by kicker points. It puts a kickers' PAL score into the context of the number of points he scored.

PAL2 is more accurate and more complex than PAL. It's similar to PAL, except all field goals are not lumped together. In PAL2, all of a kickers' FG attempts are separated by distance, and he is compared relative to how the rest of the NFL was at each particular distance he attempted a field goal from. If a kicker attempted a 52-yard field goal, he is compared to how the rest of the league that season (except for himself) did in 52-yard field goals, and that success percentage is multiplied by the number of attempts he had at 52 yards, and that is done for all his attempts. Like I said, it is very complex, but much more accurate than PAL.

P2/PT is 100 *PAL2/Points scored

AAT is average attempted field goal distance, for the entire 2010-2018 era.

AMK is average made field goal distance, 2010-2018.

AMS is average missed field goal distance, 2010-2018.

PT/G is simple Points scored per game.

PAL/G is PAL divided by games played

PAL2/G is PAL2 divided by games played

PTS is a sum of the ranks in the 12 categories.

Here is the raw data, this is from 2010-2018, the kicker are ranked by points scored.

Even though Gostkowski has Super Bowl rings, he hasn't really made any famous kicks in his career in the way Adam Vinatieri has. I think an argument can be made for Bryant as second team over Gostkowski, as Bryant will likely finish the decade a close second to Gostkowski in points scored, and he scores significantly higher than Gostkowski (.310 to .235) in PAL2 per game, which is probably the most important category. I would argue for Matt Bryant second team over Gostkowski.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
Even though Gostkowski has Super Bowl rings, he hasn't really made any famous kicks in his career in the way Adam Vinatieri has. I think an argument can be made for Bryant as second team over Gostkowski, as Bryant will likely finish the decade a close second to Gostkowski in points scored, and he scores significantly higher than Gostkowski (.310 to .235) in PAL2 per game, which is probably the most important category. I would argue for Matt Bryant second team over Gostkowski.
I think all of that is fair, I used PAL in my analysis, and it was Tucker so far ahead that the 2nd team was a crapshoot, I wanted to go Gould but then changed to SG... it was such a small different between then (adding in onside kicks and long kick ability (SG 4th all-time in 50+ FG%) and then also the "honors", and kicking % from 2 minutes or less and 1 minutes or less, and kickoff depth) I settled on SG.

It was like Jimmy Graham, I didn't *want* to pick him, but there were few other choices. I had them Tucker, Gotskoski, Gould, then Bryant---with TUcker far ahead

However, your 2010-2018 data is helpful...I didn;t have that broken down for the decade---and I will look and see how that impacts it. SG missed a lot of PATs and that was
bothersome. But FWIW I didn't even look at points scored.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

John, good team and I agree with most of it. Thoughts:

-Logan Mankins might supplant Iupati.

-center is an interesting issue here. Could see Travis Frederick, Maurkice Pouncey, or even Nick Mangold (sometimes they pick players who are more “tweeners” to these) considered.

-Jason Witten might have an argument as the backup TE.

-tough competition at DT when guys like Ndamukong Suh and Haloti Ngata can’t catch a sniff.

-Cameron Wake, Justin Smith, and maybe even tweener Jared Allen might snag a DE slot.

-Patrick Willis or NaVorro Bowman might grab a LB spot.

-tweener Andy Lee could sneak off with the reserve punter slot.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

bachslunch wrote:John, good team and I agree with most of it. Thoughts:

-Logan Mankins might supplant Iupati.

-center is an interesting issue here. Could see Travis Frederick, Maurkice Pouncey, or even Nick Mangold (sometimes they pick players who are more “tweeners” to these) considered.

-Jason Witten might have an argument as the backup TE.

-tough competition at DT when guys like Ndamukong Suh and Haloti Ngata can’t catch a sniff.

-Cameron Wake, Justin Smith, and maybe even tweener Jared Allen might snag a DE slot.

-Patrick Willis or NaVorro Bowman might grab a LB spot.

-tweener Andy Lee could sneak off with the reserve punter slot.
Have Bowman as HM, Wake, too, Wittne was considerd, but "numbers" go Grahahm

OL may see plenty of changes----Just did a "first glance" look----will talk
to some people and try and do better
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Evan Mathis should/could be in that guard mix, also.