'68 Packers expectations

74_75_78_79_

'68 Packers expectations

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

What was the general, overall consensus amongst the experts/fans/magazines on how the Pack would do in the year after Vince stepped down (up - GM) from the HC spot? Did most feel that it was indeed, it, for the Dynasty due to his departure from HC, or did some feel that Bengston could pull a McCafferty/Seifert/Switzer?
BD Sullivan

Re: '68 Packers expectations

Post by BD Sullivan »

The Packers were still considered a formidable team, though some people started freaking out during the PRESEASON, when the Pack lost their first two exhibition games against NFL teams :lol: --they had easily won the College All-Star game. Only Max McGee and Fuzzy Thurston had retired, so some were even picking Green Bay to play in SB III.

As much as Bengston gets ragged on for his Packer tenure, in 1968, he was considered the guy who had helped make the team's defense great. Therefore, it should be business as usual, according to some "experts". Bengston himself fully expected to contend, saying before the season, "We won't be satisfied with anything less than No. 4," as in consecutive NFL titles.

Interestingly, Chicago (under new coach Jim Dooley) was seen as their main rival for the division title, with Detroit close behind. Minnesota was still considered to be a year or two away, so naturally, it was the Vikes who won the division in '68, then made it to the Super Bowl the following year.
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

My 1968 Street and Smith's Yearbook picks Green Bay first, Detroit second, Chicago third and Minnesota last.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

There wasn't any solid reason to expect that the Packers wouldn't at least be strong contenders in 1968. Everyone understood that the team was aging and the coaching transition would be a factor, but as mentioned, there didn't seem to be a strong challenger in the Central. The beating they took from the Vikings in week 2 was the first hint that the Packers glory days were ending and that Bud Grant and the Vikings weren't to be taken lightly.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

In that first Vikings game, the Packers were plagued by penalties for 90 yards. In addition,they didn't even get past the Minnesota 35 until after halftime. Finally, the key play of the game came in the third quarter when the Vikings took a risk with a 16-6 lead. They went for it on fourth and inches at the Packer 27, with Joe Kapp barely making it. That led to Minnesota's final touchdown, and they ended up winning 26-13.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

The 1968 Packers might have missed Don Chandler more than Vince Lombardi.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Some 1968 Packers questions:

Weren't Grabowski and Anderson super-hyped to carry the load to continue the Packer dynasty? I thought it was considered a huge coup that Lombardi signed both before he left.

Anybody ever seen a picture of Errol Mann on the 1968 Packers? Just wondering if one exists.

Was the Monday performance at Dallas one of Bart Starr's best ever? Cowboys come in 6-0 on the year (average margin of victory was 25 points in those first six wins), and get off to a 10-0 lead before Starr throws 4 TD passes in a 28-17 win. I'm guessing that game was a night game, but I assume it was not nationally televised. Anybody able to confirm those details?

I believe it was the Packers' season-ending win over the Bears (after nearly blowing a 28-10 lead) that gave the Vikings the division title. I remember reading a story that Bud Grant was listening to the game on the radio, carefully tossing a roll of tape in the air, over and over. He tossed it the exact same height every time, just a few feet up, (the man had great hand coordination that got him to the NFL as a WR and the NBA too), until Ray Nitschke made a game-sealing interception and then the tape hit the ceiling. Anybody else hear that story too?
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Evan wrote:Some 1968 Packers questions:

Weren't Grabowski and Anderson super-hyped to carry the load to continue the Packer dynasty? I thought it was considered a huge coup that Lombardi signed both before he left.

Anybody ever seen a picture of Errol Mann on the 1968 Packers? Just wondering if one exists.

Was the Monday performance at Dallas one of Bart Starr's best ever? Cowboys come in 6-0 on the year (average margin of victory was 25 points in those first six wins), and get off to a 10-0 lead before Starr throws 4 TD passes in a 28-17 win. I'm guessing that game was a night game, but I assume it was not nationally televised. Anybody able to confirm those details?

I believe it was the Packers' season-ending win over the Bears (after nearly blowing a 28-10 lead) that gave the Vikings the division title. I remember reading a story that Bud Grant was listening to the game on the radio, carefully tossing a roll of tape in the air, over and over. He tossed it the exact same height every time, just a few feet up, (the man had great hand coordination that got him to the NFL as a WR and the NBA too), until Ray Nitschke made a game-sealing interception and then the tape hit the ceiling. Anybody else hear that story too?
Yes, Anderson and Grabowski were "super-hyped" to succeed Hornung and Taylor. Drafting and signing them was supposedly an indication of Lombardi's "genius."
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

End of day, I would have to guess that their expectations going into '68 were no different than the Steelers in 1980. Going by my '80 Street & Smith's souvenir, it seemed to be greatly assumed that there was no letdown/complacency in the air, or even on the horizon, up in Latrobe.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Evan wrote:Was the Monday performance at Dallas one of Bart Starr's best ever? Cowboys come in 6-0 on the year (average margin of victory was 25 points in those first six wins), and get off to a 10-0 lead before Starr throws 4 TD passes in a 28-17 win. I'm guessing that game was a night game, but I assume it was not nationally televised. Anybody able to confirm those details?
It was a Monday night game televised nationally on CBS.

Starr had a great game, but it was the Green Bay defense that really clamped down after spotting Dallas 10. Willie Davis broke Don Meredith's nose early in the game, and Ray Nitschke recovered a Craig Baynham fumble at the Dallas 22 midway through the 4th quarter, setting the Packers up for the clinching TD.