Best Games (or interesting matchups) that Never Happened

7DnBrnc53

Best Games (or interesting matchups) that Never Happened

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

A comment that I just made on the SB II thread (about a hypo 1974 Mia-Pit AFC Title Game) has inspired this thread.

I am pretty sure there was a thread like this on the old board, but I don't think that it was transferred over, so I decided to make a new one.

1. 1998 SB XXXIII: Broncos-Vikings. The Vikes were scoring all kinds of points with Moss, Carter, and Co, but the Broncos had a great offense of their own, and a solid enough defense. Probably would have gone down to the wire.

2. 1979 AFC Championship: Steelers@Chargers. Would have probably been billed "The team of the present vs. the team of the future".
Last edited by 7DnBrnc53 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LJP

Re: Best Games Never Played

Post by LJP »

1963 AFL/NFL Bowl Bears - Chargers. Bears D vs Alworth & co.

1985 Super Bowl XX Bears - Dolphins.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

1963 AFL/NFL Bowl Bears - Chargers. Bears D vs Alworth & co.
^^^ Definitely this.
Also any Bills/49ers Super Bowl between 1988-1992. 1988 or 1990 especially.
falconfan58

Post by falconfan58 »

The 1980 Falcons in the Super Bowl if Leeman Bennett hadn't let up.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

1971 NFC Title: Redskins@Cowboys. If they get by San Francisco, I think they give Dallas a better game than SF did.
1977 NFC Title: Redskins@Cowboys. If they get in instead of the Bears, I think they beat the Rams, and give the Cowboys a better game than Minnesota did.
Last edited by 7DnBrnc53 on Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

falconfan58 wrote:The 1980 Falcons in the Super Bowl if Leeman Bennett hadn't let up.
I would have settled for Oakland Dallas in Super Bowl XV.

How about Washington Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XIV? If Washington had beat Dallas in Week 16 (which led to what I consider the greatest regular season game ever played), Washington would have been the top seed in the NFC, and things might have been different.

Or Dallas or Philadelphia against Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XIV?

Jets vs Washington in Super Bowl XVII? I think the Jets might have been able to beat Washington.

This would have been a weird matchup that almost happened - Carolina vs Jacksonville in Super Bowl XXXI.

Mentioning Super Bowl XXXI brings up the obvious one - Denver vs. Green Bay, although they met one year later.

One I think would have been interesting would have been for Super Bowl XXIX - Houston vs. Dallas. Had the Chiefs not upset the Oilers, I think Houston would have beat the Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

Browns vs Giants in Super Bowl XXI. I think the Browns might have won that game.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Gary Najman

Re: Best Games (or interesting matchups) that Never Happened

Post by Gary Najman »

I would choose regular season games that were cancelled by the 1982 strike, like the Cincinnati-Dallas then-rare Sunday Night game at Texas Stadium, or what about the MNF game between the 49ers and Buccaneers at Tampa Stadium?
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Jets vs Washington in Super Bowl XVII? I think the Jets might have been able to beat Washington.
They would have had a good chance, although was their run defense disciplined enough to stop Riggins? They were known for their sack prowess (the Sack Exchange), especially Gastineau.
Browns vs Giants in Super Bowl XXI. I think the Browns might have won that game.
I think they could have. I'm not that high on the 86 Giants. Another matchup that would have been interesting (if they got in the playoffs and made a run) would have been Seahawks-Giants. Seattle beat them that year at home.
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

1964 Bills-Browns Super Bowl
conace21

Post by conace21 »

The 1964 Browns-Bills game would have been interesting. Buffalo's #1 run defense vs. Jim Brown, and Cleveland's horrid run defense against Cookie Gilchrist. Buffalo's best chance to win would have been containing Brown and controlling the ball with Cookie and Wray Carlton. Jack Kemp would likely toss at least two interceptions.
Of course, if Cleveland played the way they did against Baltimore, I don't think anyone could have beaten them.