Three 50+ yard field goals in last two minutes of a game

Jay Z

Three 50+ yard field goals in last two minutes of a game

Post by Jay Z »

Happened in the Packers/Cowboys playoff game. Based on Pro Football Reference, I am guessing this has never happened before. PFR's play by play data, which only goes back to 1999, only has three occurrences where TWO 50+ field goals were even attempted, and only one where they both were made. Olindo Mare and Jason Elam both made kicks in a 2002 Dolphins-Broncos game.

OK, field goal experts, what can you tell me? Were there any cases where three field goals of any length were made in any game?
IvanNYC

Re: Three 50+ yard field goals in last two minutes of a game

Post by IvanNYC »

Jay Z wrote:Happened in the Packers/Cowboys playoff game. Based on Pro Football Reference, I am guessing this has never happened before. PFR's play by play data, which only goes back to 1999, only has three occurrences where TWO 50+ field goals were even attempted, and only one where they both were made. Olindo Mare and Jason Elam both made kicks in a 2002 Dolphins-Broncos game.

OK, field goal experts, what can you tell me? Were there any cases where three field goals of any length were made in any game?
According to Elias...

http://www.espn.com/blog/elias-says/pos ... an-16-2017

"In the final two minutes of the Packers’ 34–31 win at Dallas, Mason Crosby kicked go-ahead field goals of 56 and 51 yards, and in between Dan Bailey connected for a score-tying kick of 52 yards. It was the first time in postseason history that there were more than two 50-yard field goals at any point of a game. And even in the regular season, there had never been more than two 50-yard field goals in the fourth quarter of any game, not to mention in the final two minutes.

But in the excitement of the game’s closing minutes, it’s easy to forget that Bailey opened the scoring with a 50-yard field goal in the first quarter. In the NFL’s 97 seasons, there had been only two regular-season contests featuring four field goals of 50+ yards. Those were between the Seahawks and Cardinals in 2004, and the Raiders and Texans in 2011."
@Ivan_Urena1