Rams Extend Jeff Fisher's Contract....Really?

JKelly

Rams Extend Jeff Fisher's Contract....Really?

Post by JKelly »

Please explain to me what the Rams fascination is with Jeff Fisher? I know he had some really good seasons (6) with the Titans but in 5 seasons with the Rams he hasn't even had a .500 season. I just don't get it.
Rupert Patrick

Re: Rams Extend Jeff Fisher's Contract....Really?

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JKelly wrote:Please explain to me what the Rams fascination is with Jeff Fisher? I know he had some really good seasons (6) with the Titans but in 5 seasons with the Rams he hasn't even had a .500 season. I just don't get it.
Has there ever been a coach who has been below .500 in his first five seasons with the team, and was brought back for a sixth season? I can't think of one, normally it's clear he's not working out and the guy is canned after two or three seasons. Everything about Fisher's coaching record strikes me as mediocre - in his 16 seasons in Tennessee (ignoring the partial 1994 season) he had six above .500 seasons, five .500 seasons, and five below .500 seasons. With his career record of 173-164-1, he is only one loss behind Dan Reeves for losing the most games of any head coach in NFL history; Fisher passed Shula and Landry on the career loss list earlier this season.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

And he celebrated by losing his challenge flag.

http://uproxx.com/sports/jeff-fisher-ch ... eles-rams/
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
JKelly wrote:Please explain to me what the Rams fascination is with Jeff Fisher? I know he had some really good seasons (6) with the Titans but in 5 seasons with the Rams he hasn't even had a .500 season. I just don't get it.
Has there ever been a coach who has been below .500 in his first five seasons with the team, and was brought back for a sixth season? I can't think of one, normally it's clear he's not working out and the guy is canned after two or three seasons. Everything about Fisher's coaching record strikes me as mediocre - in his 16 seasons in Tennessee (ignoring the partial 1994 season) he had six above .500 seasons, five .500 seasons, and five below .500 seasons. With his career record of 173-164-1, he is only one loss behind Dan Reeves for losing the most games of any head coach in NFL history; Fisher passed Shula and Landry on the career loss list earlier this season.
Tom Landry 1960-64. He had five straight losing seasons, went 7-7 in 1965. However, they were an expansion team starting from the absolute bottom.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Bill McPeak had five straight losing with the Redskins, 1961-65.

Two other coaches had five straight losing seasons, except that they never completed the fifth season. David Shula was fired after going 1-6 in 1995, following four losing seasons with the Bengals, and Lou Saban resigned with a 2-6-1 record with the Broncos in 1971, after four straight losing seasons.
JKelly

Post by JKelly »

Just for the record I had no problem with Gus Bradley. :D