Hall of Very Good Class of 2016

Andy Piascik

Re: Hall of Very Good Class of 2016

Post by Andy Piascik »

We'd love to have more discussion about candidates leading up to the vote. For several years we published fairly extensive information about the 20 finalists in The Coffin Corner in the event there were finalists with whom some members might not have been familiar. It was also done in the hopes of increasing voter turnout. Turnout did increase temporarily but then returned to the level it had been after one or two years. As valuable as the biographies may have been to some -- and I don't say they were -- putting them together was a lot of work, plus they took up a fair amount of space in the magazine, and we discontinued them.

Whether discussion here helps increase turnout or not, it certainly is welcome as a way to provide information about candidates. We're also always open to suggestions about improving the Hall of Very Good process as a whole.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Whether discussion here helps increase turnout or not, it certainly is welcome as a way to provide information about candidates. We're also always open to suggestions about improving the Hall of Very Good process as a whole.
I think a good idea during the nominating process would be to have a thread here listing the nominees as they come in. Each PFRA member could type out a few sentence or paragraph blurb (if they want to) presenting the case for that player's nomination. It could be a "locked" thread (if that's possible) that only Andy, Roy, Ken and whoever can post in to keep things concise and uncluttered. Only nominees and short bios would be posted there without any discussion.

After voting is completed I think it would be interesting to see the final voting totals for the final list of 20 nominees... unless we want to keep that confidential for whatever reason.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Thanks Andy and Chris. I like the idea of having a thread for next year. I'll start it if no one else does.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Thanks Andy and Chris. I like the idea of having a thread for next year. I'll start it if no one else does.
No need to wait until next year to start it. If there are players you would like to discuss, go ahead and start a thread. It will not be too much longer before we start to ask for nominations.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast