I'm liking the new extra point

JWL

Re: I'm liking the new extra point

Post by JWL »

I enjoyed all the missed extra points today.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

The extra point percentage is getting low enough that you could argue (unless you need one point to win) going for two points on all TD's and it would increase the number of points you will score over the course of the season.

One question I have always had about the two-point play is whether it is more successful to run for it or pass for it. I've never seen two-pointer success rates broken down between runs and passes, and wonder if there is any statistical advantage to running or passing for two. I believe the official NFL Statistics lumps them all together.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:The extra point percentage is getting low enough that you could argue (unless you need one point to win) going for two points on all TD's and it would increase the number of points you will score over the course of the season.

One question I have always had about the two-point play is whether it is more successful to run for it or pass for it. I've never seen two-pointer success rates broken down between runs and passes, and wonder if there is any statistical advantage to running or passing for two. I believe the official NFL Statistics lumps them all together.
According to the link below, two-point runs are successful 61.7% of the time, passes 43.4% of the time.

http://archive.advancedfootballanalytic ... point.html
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

JWL wrote:I enjoyed all the missed extra points today.
As a Bills fan, so did I!!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."