JohnTurney

Browns are up

Post by JohnTurney »

Cleveland Browns All Career-Year Team

http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... -team.html
74_75_78_79_

Re: Browns are up

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Eh, a shame Bernie boxed-out but extremely understandable and absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. '80 being my first season followed, how can I or anyone EVER forget about Sipe's tour de force moment?? VERY Lombardi Trophy-capable he propelled Browns to be that very year!
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

For fullback, I would think Ernie Green would deserve consideration for his 1966 or '67 seasons. The next year, he ripped up his knee and ended up retiring the following year.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

BD Sullivan wrote:For fullback, I would think Ernie Green would deserve consideration for his 1966 or '67 seasons. The next year, he ripped up his knee and ended up retiring the following year.
For that position, I picked, in most instances, a guard-in-the-backfield type of fullback, i.e. the modern fullback. His Pro bowl season in 66 and 67 were considered with the running backs. For good or bad, the position Rathman or Moose Johnston is different that the split backfield fullbacks that were usually just bigger, more powerful running backs and not lead blockers. The modern fullback is more akin to the old blocking backs like Father Lumpkin or maybe the quarterback (the tailback was the passer, usually) So, he was in the category of the runners, if you will.

A fair comparison might be Ken Willard---a sloid player for a long time but not any excellent seasons compared to others, but he was a fullback, line up to TE side...(unless it was "opposite")... but a good, hard runner, but didn't warrant a mention IMO