Mike Alstott - HOVG

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Denis Crawford

Mike Alstott - HOVG

Post by Denis Crawford »

Alstott was an offensive focal point of the Buccaneers from 1996-2001, a rarity for a fullback. Not a particularly effective blocker, but made up for it with production. Six-time Pro Bowler and three-time first-team All Pro (1x second team). Did not have great speed, but for 250 pounds, he could outrun many DEs and LBs and in the open field was a nightmare for DBs. Dependable safety valve on pass plays and had a nose for the end zone: 71 total TDS.

Intangibles: The Bucs offense was the much weaker unit of the Dungy-era, but Alstott was one of the face's of the franchise and HOFers Derrick Brooks, Warren Sapp, and John Lynch are all on record that Alstott was an emotional lynchpin who could demoralize opponents and jack up the Bucs defense on the sideline by breaking tackle-after-tackle.

Very effective one-two punch with Warrick Dunn, but it was Alstott who the team turned to in 2002 whenever Jon Gruden's new offense started to bog down.
Eagles One

Re: Mike Alstott - HOVG

Post by Eagles One »

Absolutely, HOVG. Six-time Pro-Bowler speaks volumes. A very important component to those Bucs' teams.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I am more impressed by the three-times All-Pro. Although whether all pro or pro bowl there isn't/wasn't a lot of competition for either at the ("true") fullback position.

If I recall correctly a player has to be retired for 25 years to be eligible for the HoVG so Alstott can't be considered till 2031...
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... stMi00.htm
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

HOVG for sure about Alstott. I also think FBs like Larry Centers and Lorenzo Neal will make it too.