Hugh Green - HOVG?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
sluggermatt15

Hugh Green - HOVG?

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Outside Linebacker, converted from DE in college.

11-year career (1981-1991) with the Bucs and Dolphins, 136 games played. Official 34 1/3 career sacks, 6 career INTs & 2 returned for TDs, 7 fumbles recovered.

2 x Pro Bowl (1982, 1983), 2 x All-NFC (1982, 1983), 2 x First-Team All-Pro (1982, 1983; Pro Football Writers/Pro Football Weekly, Sporting News).

Played on some horrible Bucs' teams in the early to mid-80s. Traded to the Dolphins in 1985. Suffered serious injury in car accident. Was a member of Shula's Dolphins defenses that were playoff contenders.

What do you guys think? A shot at the HOVG?
Gary Najman

Re: Hugh Green - HOVG?

Post by Gary Najman »

The problem with Green is that he was not the same after that car accident. I remember him playing college football at PIttsburgh, he even looked better that Lawrence Taylor. It's ironic that Green´s less-heralded teammate at Pitt, Rickey Jackson, had a longer pro career and also wound up in the PFHOF.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Both Green and Offerdahl had injuries affect their careers but I thought Offerdahl was better ...
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Teo wrote:The problem with Green is that he was not the same after that car accident. I remember him playing college football at PIttsburgh, he even looked better that Lawrence Taylor. It's ironic that Green´s less-heralded teammate at Pitt, Rickey Jackson, had a longer pro career and also wound up in the PFHOF.
We forget how amazing those Pitt teams were Green and Rickey Jackson on D and Marino, Fralic and Mark May on the O Line. Chris Foreman followed shortly after Green and Jackson keeping up the tradition of great defenders.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

NWebster wrote:We forget how amazing those Pitt teams were Green and Rickey Jackson on D and Marino, Fralic and Mark May on the O Line. Chris Foreman followed shortly after Green and Jackson keeping up the tradition of great defenders.
Jackie Sherrill not winning a national title with those early 1980's Pitt teams is like John Thompson not making the Sweet 16 with Alonzo Mourning and Dikembe Mutumbo. Pitt had more talent than perhaps any other team in college football history, especially in the OL and DL. Aside from the guys mentioned, you had Jerry Boyarsky, Greg Meisner, Bill Neill, Dave Puzzoulli, Bill Maas on the DL, Jimbo Covert and Russ Grimm on the OL. You had other guys like HB Randy McMillan and SS Carlton Williamson. The one area in which Pitt was deficient was WR and TE...those guys couldn't catch a cold. If Pitt had a guy like Michael Irvin or Anthony Carter, then Dan Marino could have put up big numbers and been drafted much higher. Marino's receivers were terrible. I think Julius Dawkins ended up being a high draft pick by the Bills, and he was immediately the worst WR in the NFL.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

NWebster wrote:
Teo wrote:The problem with Green is that he was not the same after that car accident. I remember him playing college football at PIttsburgh, he even looked better that Lawrence Taylor. It's ironic that Green´s less-heralded teammate at Pitt, Rickey Jackson, had a longer pro career and also wound up in the PFHOF.
We forget how amazing those Pitt teams were Green and Rickey Jackson on D and Marino, Fralic and Mark May on the O Line. Chris Foreman followed shortly after Green and Jackson keeping up the tradition of great defenders.
It was Chris Doleman.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Bryan wrote:
NWebster wrote:We forget how amazing those Pitt teams were Green and Rickey Jackson on D and Marino, Fralic and Mark May on the O Line. Chris Foreman followed shortly after Green and Jackson keeping up the tradition of great defenders.
Jackie Sherrill not winning a national title with those early 1980's Pitt teams is like John Thompson not making the Sweet 16 with Alonzo Mourning and Dikembe Mutumbo. Pitt had more talent than perhaps any other team in college football history, especially in the OL and DL. Aside from the guys mentioned, you had Jerry Boyarsky, Greg Meisner, Bill Neill, Dave Puzzoulli, Bill Maas on the DL, Jimbo Covert and Russ Grimm on the OL. You had other guys like HB Randy McMillan and SS Carlton Williamson. The one area in which Pitt was deficient was WR and TE...those guys couldn't catch a cold. If Pitt had a guy like Michael Irvin or Anthony Carter, then Dan Marino could have put up big numbers and been drafted much higher. Marino's receivers were terrible. I think Julius Dawkins ended up being a high draft pick by the Bills, and he was immediately the worst WR in the NFL.
I completely agree. The other WR was Dwight Collins, who only played one season in the NFL (for the Vikings).
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Teo wrote:
Bryan wrote:
I completely agree. The other WR was Dwight Collins, who only played one season in the NFL (for the Vikings).
A wild bunch of guys as well! Maybe the 'Raiders' of college football and/or a northern immediate precursor to the '80s/early-'90s Canes! Campus-life at Pitt wasn't all quaint and 'Happy Valley'-like! A shame they fell off in the mid-'80s and never really threatened for National Championships again. It's also a shame the Penn St/Pitt rivalry stopped as soon as Penn St moved into the Big Ten. It's not as if every game played is a conference game! Remove one of the yearly out-of-conference cupcakes off the early schedule and simply still have the two play the last game every year anyways! Pitt winning at Beaver in '80 and then, the following year, State rolling over them at Pitt, knocking them from #1...now that was a rivalry!
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

ESPN has Green as the second best defensive player in CFB history, behind only Dick Butkus.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ar-history

I think Green got ripped off his senior season. He should have won the Heisman. Until 1997, he was the highest finish for an exclusively defensive player.