HOF: Underrepresented Position by Era

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good

HOF: Underrepresented Position by Era

Postby TanksAndSpartans » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:29 pm

I feel the HOF doesn't have many '50s receivers. In my opinion Billy Howton and Billy Wilson are two of the best and neither is in. I don't even recall much of a push for either on our board or elsewhere.

Can anyone think of similar examples? Let's stick to post 1930 - I feel every position is underrepresented before that date. Finally, I know decades are arbitrary, so any roughly 10 year period is fine.
TanksAndSpartans

Re: HOF: Underrepresented Position by Era

Postby JeffreyMiller » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:24 pm

Del Schofner is worthy of consideration. I know his name has come up in the past, but so far, nada!

Harlon Hill has always been a favorite of mine, but his peak simply is too short. Still, he had some monster years in the 50s, averaging 24 ypc in 1956 and 25 ypc in 1954. The guy had 32 TD rec in his first three seasons!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
JeffreyMiller

Postby RichardBak » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:39 pm

I always thought those twin Eagles ends of the era, Pete Retzlaff and Bobby Walston, deserved consideration. I'm probably influenced by Walston's placekicking, but Retzlaff was remarkably consistent and saved his best season (1,190 yards) for his second-to-last year. Both played for over a decade in Phila. and made the Pro Bowl multiple times. And of course, NFL champs in 1960.
RichardBak

Postby TanksAndSpartans » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:40 pm

JeffreyMiller wrote:Harlon Hill has always been a favorite of mine, but his peak simply is too short. Still, he had some monster years in the 50s, averaging 24 ypc in 1956 and 25 ypc in 1954. The guy had 32 TD rec in his first three seasons!

I may not be remembering this right, but I've spoken with the guy who owns Rare Sports Films and I think he told me Harlon Hill commissioned him to put together a couple videos. Hill definitely stands out in the old Tel Ra highlights.
TanksAndSpartans

Postby JeffreyMiller » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:45 pm

Billy Wilson is another underappreciated receiver from the 50s era
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
JeffreyMiller

Postby NWebster » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:59 pm

Feels like 80's Safeties fit the bill as well.
NWebster

Return to HOF and HOVG Talk