Pete Carroll

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
74_75_78_79_

Pete Carroll

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

What's your takes on him thus far as an, at least, down-the-road HOVG candidate? Would you think he's on the inside-track thus far? Had that SBXLVIII vs NE gone that other way (making it back-to-back), perhaps he'd be leaning nice enough toward Canton but with likely a bit more work to do.

Not sure his '90s resume should be held against him. It's not enough a sample-size; the very small sample-size mostly being a case of having to immediately follow Parcells yet he did keep them a playoff team his first two years in NE, winning a playoff game in that first season then going to the 'Burgh the following week and giving the 2nd-seed Steelers all they could handle in a 7-6 slugfest. As for his time in Seattle so far, after back-to-back 7-9 seasons out-the-gate (the first of those being that 1st-Rd shocker vs 11-5 defending-Champ, Saints) he has had eight-straight winning-seasons (seven of them playoffs) including this very season with one week left.

More Rings, I suppose, would be the determining factor. Should another Lombardi get him to HOVG? How many more for HOF?

EDIT - "Had that SBXLIX vs NE gone that other way..."
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisBabcock

Re: Pete Carroll

Post by ChrisBabcock »

His pre Seahawks head coaching resume reminds me a bit of Marv Levy with the Chiefs. Didn't do much notable but, you're right, shouldn't be held against him. Right now Carroll's passed the bus test for HOVG. I think one more SB victory plus a few deep postseasons should get him to Canton.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

It seems like only yesterday Pete Carroll was slinking back to the college ranks after bombing as an NFL coach. Took a fresh look at his career, and was surprised what it looked like. In fact, he’s not all that far off being the equal of HoFer Tony Dungy:

Dungy: 139-69-0. One SB win.
Carroll: 133-89-1. One SB win.

They each have one title, and nearly the same number of regular season wins. Carroll does have 20 more losses, plus he doesn’t have the assistant coaching boost and minority head coaching pioneer credit. But they’re closer than I thought.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Right now I'd say Carroll is HOVG. He has one Super Bowl, goes to the playoffs almost every year, built a great defense with a famous nickname, and most importantly is the zen master of scorigami. Has a claim to be the second greatest active coach, along with Sean Payton, who is also HOVG imo right now. Both will likely be HOF in the end. I'm definitely rooting for him in the playoffs this year, specifically a Pats-Hawks SB in which they're on the 1 with 5 seconds left, finally give it to Marshawn and he runs it right down their throats.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I think Carroll is HOVG. He's on par with some of the better coaches in the game today - John Harbaugh, Sean Payton, Andy Reid, Mike Tomlin, Sean McVay (on the rise), Kyle Shanahan (on the rise also). Carroll is only going to continue to win in Seattle. I say he easily eclipses 150 wins and maybe reaches 175 or 200, depending on how long he wants to coach. You also have to figure the Seahawks are in the hunt for a championship every year. So, it's possible he adds to his one title.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

bachslunch wrote:It seems like only yesterday Pete Carroll was slinking back to the college ranks after bombing as an NFL coach. Took a fresh look at his career, and was surprised what it looked like. In fact, he’s not all that far off being the equal of HoFer Tony Dungy:

They each have one title, and nearly the same number of regular season wins. Carroll does have 20 more losses, plus he doesn’t have the assistant coaching boost and minority head coaching pioneer credit. But they’re closer than I thought.
I'm not really a huge fan of either guy, but from a purely subjective standpoint, watching a Pete Carroll team you feel like they are going to figure out a way to steal a victory...watching a Tony Dungy team you feel like they are going to figure out a way to screw up.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Bryan wrote:
bachslunch wrote:It seems like only yesterday Pete Carroll was slinking back to the college ranks after bombing as an NFL coach. Took a fresh look at his career, and was surprised what it looked like. In fact, he’s not all that far off being the equal of HoFer Tony Dungy:

I'm not really a huge fan of either guy, but from a purely subjective standpoint, watching a Pete Carroll team you feel like they are going to figure out a way to steal a victory...watching a Tony Dungy team you feel like they are going to figure out a way to screw up.
Carroll's team got one yesterday. Eagles were driving down the field for the tying score, and the defense sacks McCown on fourth down. Game over.