Antonio Brown

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

Antonio Brown

Post by JohnTurney »

if he never plays another down--HOF?
bachslunch

Re: Antonio Brown

Post by bachslunch »

JohnTurney wrote:if he never plays another down--HOF?
Right now, his career looks similar to Calvin Johnson's.

Antonio Brown: 9 seasons. 5/7/10s? 837 catches, 11207 yds, 13.4 avg, 74 TDs. non-domed home field. also did some return work.
Calvin Johnson: 9 seasons. 3/6/10s? 731 catches, 11619 yds, 15.9 avg, 83 TDs. domed home field.

That's a couple seasons longer than Sterling Sharpe, who isn't making any headway.

I'd put them both in, and my guess is that they're both inducted after a little bit of a wait.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I'd put them both in, and my guess is that they're both inducted after a little bit of a wait.
agreed
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

bachslunch wrote:
JohnTurney wrote:if he never plays another down--HOF?
Right now, his career looks similar to Calvin Johnson's.

Antonio Brown: 9 seasons. 5/7/10s? 837 catches, 11207 yds, 13.4 avg, 74 TDs. non-domed home field. also did some return work.
Calvin Johnson: 9 seasons. 3/6/10s? 731 catches, 11619 yds, 15.9 avg, 83 TDs. domed home field.

That's a couple seasons longer than Sterling Sharpe, who isn't making any headway.

On top of that Brown has a OPOY (SN) award, rare award for WR, also had lots of votes (for a WR) in the AP OPOY over the years
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Sterling Sharpe seems rather underappreciated and forgotten nowadays. Doesn't help that he played for Green Bay when they were still relatively anonymous. Retired right before their big revival. But he was dominant throughout a large portion of his career. Though his performances now don't jump off the page at you anymore in the wake of the big offensive explosion the league has engineered
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

sheajets wrote:Sterling Sharpe seems rather underappreciated and forgotten nowadays. Doesn't help that he played for Green Bay when they were still relatively anonymous. Retired right before their big revival. But he was dominant throughout a large portion of his career. Though his performances now don't jump off the page at you anymore in the wake of the big offensive explosion the league has engineered
You could argue that Sharpe was 2nd best WR of his era ahead of everyone except Rice in terms of "peak". Brown, too...similar
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JohnTurney wrote:You could argue that Sharpe was 2nd best WR of his era ahead of everyone except Rice in terms of "peak". Brown, too...similar
Agree with this. I think if Brown retires, then perhaps instead of Brown getting enshrined in the HOF they simply put his helmet in the HOF, like they did with Bob Griese's glasses back in the 1980's.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

IMO, and has nothing at all to do with my Steeler-fandom, but I feel that sheer talent/work-ethic/effectiveness-on-the-field-wise AB is simply the 3rd-best WR of all-time (behind only Hutson & Rice). He's noticeably-enough better than Megatron IMO; and Moss, and TO, etc. This recent drama-stuff, though, may place a bit of tarnish on his case for Canton if only just a tad. I'm feeling that Steelers let him leave at the right time. Not that Carr is a bad QB, but he's clearly no Big Ben and Raiders may be bad this year thus AB is going to instantly realize just how good he had it in the 'Burgh. The first game that Raiders lose along with Carr not getting the ball to AB we may likely see the drama; and how much patience will 'Chucky' end up having in this final year before Vegas?
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:IMO, and has nothing at all to do with my Steeler-fandom, but I feel that sheer talent/work-ethic/effectiveness-on-the-field-wise AB is simply the 3rd-best WR of all-time (behind only Hutson & Rice). He's noticeably-enough better than Megatron IMO; and Moss, and TO, etc. This recent drama-stuff, though, may place a bit of tarnish on his case for Canton if only just a tad. I'm feeling that Steelers let him leave at the right time. Not that Carr is a bad QB, but he's clearly no Big Ben and Raiders may be bad this year thus AB is going to instantly realize just how good he had it in the 'Burgh. The first game that Raiders lose along with Carr not getting the ball to AB we may likely see the drama; and how much patience will 'Chucky' end up having in this final year before Vegas?
I think Brown is top-20, maybe even top-10 among WRs all time. Not sure I'd rank him above guys like Alworth or Warfield, for two, though.

John Turney did an overall ranking a couple months ago and lists him 8th all time:

http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... story.html

Sounds reasonable to me.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I've said it before so feel free to pass me by if you don't want to read it again.

Great players (so they say) make everyone around them better.
But there are some "great" players who, through their petulant attitude, diminish The Team and everyone involved therein.

While AB wasn't the problem of someone like, say, Terrell Owens I believe his antics and personality detract from his contributions to The Team. That is the antithesis of a "great player."

I have played with, coached and run a league with guys like that involved and they will get no positive affirmation from me.
(Although they did get knocked down, benched and/or denied the MVP award based on their lack of sportsmanship.)

Therefore, I would not vote to put Antonio Brown into the Hall of Fame.
I understand that he will go in but it would be without my vote.
Maybe I'd vote for him as a Senior Candidate....

This helmet thing is just beyond ridiculous...
When we played in the NFL sponsored Air It Out tournaments the rules stated you had to wear a mouth piece.
I never did (on the sandlot) and hated the damn thing (couldn't breathe or call out defensive signals) but when we played in Air It Out I just "bit the bullet" and wore the damn thing.
Man up, shut up - play the game.
That's how you earn the respect of your fellow players.