Unscientific Survey

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JuggernautJ

Unscientific Survey

Post by JuggernautJ »

I have mentioned to some friends and acquaintances the upcoming HoF class and asked who, in their opinion, has been overlooked and is deserving of enshrinement in 2020.

I only asked casual fans (no "historians") and explained the 25 year rule but other than that provided no guidance.
The responses have been mildly interesting and, as one might expect of "fans," mostly based on their rooting affiliations.

Responses so far:

Raiders fans: Stabler (explained he's already in), Flores and Plunkett.
(Can you tell in which era they grew up?)

Giants fan (1): Connerly and Spider Lockhart

49ers fans: Roger Craig and Dwight Clark and.... (1) Bruno Banducci (her father had known him)

And two... "Who the hell cares?" responses.

I was wondering if anyone else had feedback from non-experts and/or would be willing to conduct an "unscientific survey" and post the results.
ChrisBabcock

Re: Unscientific Survey

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Raiders fans: Stabler (explained he's already in), Flores and Plunkett.
I have a Raiders fan acquaintance who is absolutely convinced that Plunkett belongs in the HOF. :roll:
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I'm still nowhere near the authority as you all on this site, but because of you all I am quite closer to you all than the casual-fans as far as getting a 'feel'/a good-enough idea as to who should be in and who shouldn't be in is concerned. I've been 'taught' well-enough so far. Before ever stumbling upon this site years ago (being enticed by that '75 Oilers' thread on the menu while simply looking up Bum Phillips), I would accuse far too many (despite being great players/coaches just the same) of being worthy of Canton.

Thank you all!

That all said, Steeler-fan or not, Troy BETTER get in First-Ballot in 2020!!
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Well, there's always the know-nothing media people (generally sports talk idiots) who casually throw out the "future Hall of Famer" drivel after one big season...
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:That all said, Steeler-fan or not, Troy BETTER get in First-Ballot in 2020!!
I think he will, but primarily because he's HoF worthy and the best incoming first-timer. Same thing happened with Darrell Green, who might not have been "first ballot" had there been stronger competition. Not sure if Troy Polamalu would necessarily be first ballot otherwise, as we saw with Brian Dawkins.