Los Angeles Rams offensive linemen

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Halas Hall

Los Angeles Rams offensive linemen

Post by Halas Hall »

I am considering my five nominations to the 2020 Hall of the Very Good Class and a wondered what people think about these players.

Charlie Cowan played tackle for the Rams from 1961 through 1975. 206 games played / 187 starts - Pro Bowl 1968, 1969 and 1970.

Joe Scibelli played primarily guard for the Rams from 1961 through 1975. 202 games played / 195 starts - Pro Bowl 1968 - Rams captain last ten seasons.

I did not see Cowan and Scibelli play, but they likely went head to head with some great players.

Dennis Harrah played guard for the Rams from 1975 through 1987. 168 games played / 144 starts - six Pro Bowls. I did see him play, and feel his play merits nomination.

Are Charlie Cowan, Joe Scibelli, and Dennis Harrah greatly overlooked players who should be nominated for the Hall of the Very Good?

Thanks.
Andy Piascik

Re: Los Angeles Rams offensive linemen

Post by Andy Piascik »

I would say all are worthy candidates. Harrah has been nominated several times but never made it to the Final 20.

Overlooked? Sure. But that's kind of the fate of an offensive lineman.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Halas Hall wrote:I am considering my five nominations to the 2020 Hall of the Very Good Class and a wondered what people think about these players.

Charlie Cowan played tackle for the Rams from 1961 through 1975. 206 games played / 187 starts - Pro Bowl 1968, 1969 and 1970.

Joe Scibelli played primarily guard for the Rams from 1961 through 1975. 202 games played / 195 starts - Pro Bowl 1968 - Rams captain last ten seasons.

I did not see Cowan and Scibelli play, but they likely went head to head with some great players.

Dennis Harrah played guard for the Rams from 1975 through 1987. 168 games played / 144 starts - six Pro Bowls. I did see him play, and feel his play merits nomination.

Are Charlie Cowan, Joe Scibelli, and Dennis Harrah greatly overlooked players who should be nominated for the Hall of the Very Good?

Thanks.
Cowan - two tidbits...one, he switched from RT to LT halfway through his career to accommodate new Ram acquisition Bob Brown. Its impressive that Cowan made the transition so seamlessly. Two, Cowan was a single-wing tailback in college at New Mexico Highlands. He also played some DT. The one position he didn't play in college was OL, so he must have been a good athlete to pick things up so quickly in the NFL.

Harrah - Dr. Z called Harrah the best/worst at getting away with holding. I'm not sure if that is supposed to be a good or bad thing, as Gene Upshaw had the same reputation and wound up in the HOF. One tidbit about Harrah is that he had perhaps the most memorable segment in "Ram It", which was the Rams answer to the Super Bowl Shuffle. Look it up on Youtube if you haven't seen it.

Scibelli - very squat body. In Willie Ellison's record-setting game against the Saints, Ellison takes a pitchout to the right for a long TD run, and Scibelli is still in front of Ellison 50 yards downfield, clearing out traffic. Impressive stuff.

I think if I had to rank them in terms of HOVG-ness, it would be Cowan, Harrah, a gap, then Scibelli. I think Cowan and Harrah would be fine nominees...but my Ram OL nominee would be Duane Putnam (if he already isn't in the HOVG).
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Andy Piascik wrote:I would say all are worthy candidates. Harrah has been nominated several times but never made it to the Final 20.

Overlooked? Sure. But that's kind of the fate of an offensive lineman.
I recall an article by Larry Felser in the 1977 Zander Hollander season preview pocketbook. Felser wrote that the two positions that "didn't excite" HOF voters were offensive linemen and defensive backs.

Felser's theme was the PFHOF was the hardest to get into, and that players TV announcers gushingly called "A Sure Hall of Famer," were anything but. That was 40 plus years ago.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Bryan wrote:....but my Ram OL nominee would be Duane Putnam (if he already isn't in the HOVG).
Duane Putman was enshrined in the Hall of (the) Very Good in 2016.
http://www.profootballresearchers.org/h ... -2016.html
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JuggernautJ wrote:
Bryan wrote:....but my Ram OL nominee would be Duane Putnam (if he already isn't in the HOVG).
Duane Putman was enshrined in the Hall of (the) Very Good in 2016.
http://www.profootballresearchers.org/h ... -2016.html

Thanks for the info. Glad to see that Putnam made it in! Very impressive in film study.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

OP, you can always nominate these players and see what the rest of us think. :D