Super Bowl 12

vikingsfan1963

Super Bowl 12

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

I'm pretty certain this was the first Super Bowl that was a rematch of a regular season encounter. I did find it interesting that 3 previous Super Bowls were rematches of pre-season games that were won by the Super Bowl loser.
superbowlfanatic

Re: Super Bowl 12

Post by superbowlfanatic »

Yes you are correct, it was the first rematch from that same regular season.
And ironically, it was the last game of that regular season.

Now, do you know which was the last Super Bowl played between 2 teams that had never faced each other previously? (in a real, non-preseason game)
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

superbowlfanatic wrote:Yes you are correct, it was the first rematch from that same regular season.

Now, do you know which was the last Super Bowl played between 2 teams that had never faced each other previously? (in a real, non-preseason game)
SB VII?
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

superbowlfanatic wrote:Yes you are correct, it was the first rematch from that same regular season.

XXXV, Ravens and Giants?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ravens and Giants played in 1997 but I am impressed you considered that. I didn't even consider Super Bowls after the first eight.
superbowlfanatic

Post by superbowlfanatic »

ChrisBabcock wrote:

SB VII?
Yes it is 7 Fins & Skins.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

superbowlfanatic wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:

SB VII?
Yes it is 7 Fins & Skins.
Curt Gowdy was doing the TV broadcast of Super Bowl VII for NBC. I recall him saying early on that this Dolphins-Redskins game had the AFL-NFL angle.