Six Decades of Dallas Cowboys Football

Oszuscik

Six Decades of Dallas Cowboys Football

Post by Oszuscik »

Has anyone checked out the book “Six Decades of Dallas Cowboys Football”? It’s a cool coffee table book for their 60th Anniversary. One thing I noticed... the book, citing the Cowboys organization as tracking these stats throughout their history, credits Jethro Pugh with 95.5 career sacks, Lee Roy Jordan with 1,236 “team-credited” tackles, Too Tall Jones with over 1,000 “team-recorded” career tackles as well as 106 sacks... and so on.

I’ve known of teams listing their unofficial defensive statistics in old media guides, but I’ve never seen those in Dallas Cowboys media guides. Has anyone ever seen the defensive statistics that this book is referencing for the Tom Landry-era Cowboys? Have the Cowboys ever made that information public or printed it anywhere?
NWebster

Re: Six Decades of Dallas Cowboys Football

Post by NWebster »

It is in their older Media Guides around the late 80's and early 90's. The Cowboys did a better job than most compiling and publishing their D stats.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

George Andrie had a HOF career along with Harvey Martin in my opinion ...
Oszuscik

Post by Oszuscik »

NWebster wrote:It is in their older Media Guides around the late 80's and early 90's. The Cowboys did a better job than most compiling and publishing their D stats.
That's just starting with those years, they don't actually have defensive stats in the media guides for the years prior to the late-80's, do they?

The Six Decades book was so precise with the random stats they listed, like Lee Roy Jordan's 1,236 career tackles, I'd love to know what sources the authors were using. I e-mailed a few members of the Cowboys organization but unsurprisingly haven't gotten any replies yet.