Bruce Smith VS Reggie White

74_75_78_79_

Bruce Smith VS Reggie White

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Who do you think was better between these 8-time-1st-team All Pro DEs?
Jay Z

Re: Bruce Smith VS Reggie White

Post by Jay Z »

Reggie was more versatile, bigger, could play inside if need be. That gives him the edge.
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

White is arguably the greatest defensive end second to Deacon Jones.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Deacon Jones or Gino Marchetti?
:)

Point Being: At the very upper echelon is there really that much difference?
One player may be faster, bigger or stronger, more cerebral or more athletic but they are all going to get the job done.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Bruce was certainly a compiler and none of the Redskin years were of quality play. Reggie's Panther year was a waste and - despite big sack numbers and undeserved DPOY - he was really a spot player in 1998 as well. Deacon, Reggie, Gino and Bruce are probably the My Rushmore of DE's and probably in that order. Had he remained healthy I think Watt could have challenged Bruce.

Bruce played more head down and used more leverage, for a big guy he actually had some ability to dip and bend around a corner, he was excellent over the course of a game at setting up moves. Reggie wasn't as fast or bendy but was monsterously strong, his best move was probably his rip, but he had a club and of course the hump, each leveraging strength.

They were very different players against the run Bruce had many more stuffs and is actually the career leader for a DE with 116.5 (Deacon probably was similar - had 106.5 - but the numbers are incomplete, a healthy Watt would have passed him the current Watt has an outside shot of matching him - he's just over 100 and has 9.5 this year). That said run play is not all about plays in the backfield Reggie frequently occupied multiple blockers and was very stout at the point of attack.

When focused Reggie was also better at batting down passes, not on Watt's level but both he and Marchetti were among the best at that along with some other obvious names like Doug Atkins and Too Tall Jones.

One area Bruce definitely outclassed was his motor in older age, Reggie certainly picked his spots in older age where Bruce had his motor going later into his career.

Bruce was first overall pick which wasn't controversial at the time he was viewed as by far the best player available in what was otherwise a down draft. Reggie played in the USFL and was then the 4th pick in the USFL supplemental draft which was loaded with Steve Young, Mike Rosier and Gary Zimmerman going 1-3, two of whom made the Hall.

Each would be world beaters if dropped on to a field in 2020.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Where does Carl Eller fit into the hierarchy?
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

JohnH19 wrote:Where does Carl Eller fit into the hierarchy?
http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... y.html?m=1

http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... l.html?m=1

Of the 3-4 ends I'd only put Smith and Watt above Seller so that puts him at 9. That said this is the PFJ consensus view I personally have Robustelli much higher and probably tied with Eller. Eller was very up and down and inconsistent from season to season in his career. After a great rookie year where he posted 11.5 sacks he posts 5.5, 5.5 and 4 over the next 3 seasons.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

JohnH19 wrote:Where does Carl Eller fit into the hierarchy?
http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... y.html?m=1

http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... l.html?m=1

Of the 3-4 ends I'd only put Smith and Watt above Seller so that puts him at 9. That said this is the PFJ consensus view I personally have Robustelli much higher and probably tied with Eller. Eller was very up and down and inconsistent from season to season in his career. After a great rookie year where he posted 11.5 sacks he posts 5.5, 5.5 and 4 over the next 3 seasons.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Though I prefer White over Bruce overall, Smith was better against the run. White got better over time but some players like Bavaro, convinced him early not to take too many plays off. I believe the quickness and work ethic of Smerlas helped Smith develop as well into a total player.