Dick Vermeil HOF worthy?

rhickok1109

Re: Dick Vermeil HOF worthy?

Post by rhickok1109 »

RichardBak wrote:
Their success in the Playoff Bowl is why I consider the Lions the third best team in the NFL from 1960-62.
My understanding is that the Playoff Bowl was an official playoff game, used to determine the third and fourth place finishers in the league.[/quote]

I've always been pretty fascinated with that '62 Lions squad. A sprinkling of HOFers (Lary, LeBeau, Schmidt, Karras, Night Train Lane). Consider their 11-3 record where their only losses were by a total of 8 points--2 points to GB and 3 points to NY and the Bears. They won their third straight Playoff (Hinky) Bowl to cap a 12-3 season. Throw in their famous Turkey Day rout of the mighty Packers (GB's only loss of the season) and they might be the best team never to make the postseason.[/quote]
If you can show me NFL standings that show the Lions in 3rd place and the Packers in 4th place, I might agree with you :D The fact is, no such standings exist. The sole reason for the Playoff Bowl was to raise money for the players' pension fund. As soon as funding was complete, the game was dropped. It was just another post-season exhibition game.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Well, you know how it is for us long-suffering Lions fans---we gotta take those postseason wins wherever we can find them, even if they're Hinky Bowl wins. (I believe St. Vince called it "the Shit Bowl." Naughty Vince. Hope he went to confession and lit a novena candle for that kind of language.)

It's astounding to think that over all of these decades and with the NFL's greatly expanded playoff system during that time, the Lions have only one freakin' playoff win in 63 years. And yet in the six seasons immediately prior to that, they were virtually unbeatable in money games---a 5-1 record in divisional and title games 1952-57. Even the mighty Browns were only 4-5 postseason during the '50s.

Oh well, on to yet another GM/HC dynamic duo to bring Motown out of the wilderness. Is Dick Vermeil available? :)
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I think Pederson would fit well in Detroit but I dont believe Stafford should be back. Time for a fresh start. Though any new coach might want him ...