Dick Vermeil HOF worthy?

Brian wolf

Re: Dick Vermeil HOF worthy?

Post by Brian wolf »

I am new to this site, so I am sure other coaches have been discussed in these forums but Schottenheimer, Knox and Reeves continue to deserve consideration. Why is it okay for Levy to get elected going to four straight SBs -- and losing-- but not okay for Reeves going to three out of four SBs ? Not to mention taking another team to the Big Dance ?
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

JuggernautJ wrote:
RichardBak wrote:...being the only guy to beat St. Vincent in the postseason is quite a resume....
I know I am in the minority here but technically (very technically... or not at all according to some) Lombardi's Packers lost the (Hinky dink) Playoff Bowl to Wally Lemm's St Louis Cardinals in 1964.
It was considered a post season game (at the time but not by many here).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playoff_Bowl
You're right on both counts: (1) Wally Lemm's Cards did beat St. Vince in the postseason, and (2) The Playoff Bowl was the Hinky-Dink Bowl.

But if we're to count the Hinky, er, Playoff Bowl as postseason, then my dear Lions were a sterling 8-1 in postseason play in 1952-62. Those 3 straight Playoff Bowl wins boost an already sterling postseason record in their only dynastic era.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

JuggernautJ wrote:
RichardBak wrote:...being the only guy to beat St. Vincent in the postseason is quite a resume....
I know I am in the minority here but technically (very technically... or not at all according to some) Lombardi's Packers lost the (Hinky dink) Playoff Bowl to Wally Lemm's St Louis Cardinals in 1964.
Change "post season" to "playoff." The Playoff Bowl was played after the season, so of course it was a post-season game. But, despite its name, it was not a playoff game.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Brian wolf wrote:To me, another deserving older coach is Buck Shaw who beat Lombardi for a championship and coached a lot of HOF players. I like Blanton Collier as well, despite Art Modell's drama.
I have the utmost respect for Collier's accomplishments. Very innovative guy. I guess he had to give up coaching because of his deafness, which is too bad.

I view Buck Shaw as being a rung below Collier. I equate Shaw's victory over Lombardi as similar to Don McCafferty beating Tom Landry in SB V. I think Van Brocklin ran that 1960 Eagles team, but that's just my take. Those Niners teams tended to self-destruct in the 1950's, and they had seemingly had the same personnel issues year after year.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Shaw coached against Parker, Ewbank, Halas and Owner Dan Reeves, with Gillman later joining the mix.
A tough division to win.

He went to the eastern division and turned the Eagles around with Brocklin pretty quickly. Despite the Giants, as well.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

RichardBak wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:
You're right on both counts: (1) Wally Lemm's Cards did beat St. Vince in the postseason, and (2) The Playoff Bowl was the Hinky-Dink Bowl.

But if we're to count the Hinky, er, Playoff Bowl as postseason, then my dear Lions were a sterling 8-1 in postseason play in 1952-62. Those 3 straight Playoff Bowl wins boost an already sterling postseason record in their only dynastic era.
Their success in the Playoff Bowl is why I consider the Lions the third best team in the NFL from 1960-62.
My understanding is that the Playoff Bowl was an official playoff game, used to determine the third and fourth place finishers in the league.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

[/quote]

Their success in the Playoff Bowl is why I consider the Lions the third best team in the NFL from 1960-62.
My understanding is that the Playoff Bowl was an official playoff game, used to determine the third and fourth place finishers in the league.[/quote]

I've always been pretty fascinated with that '62 Lions squad. A sprinkling of HOFers (Lary, LeBeau, Schmidt, Karras, Night Train Lane). Consider their 11-3 record where their only losses were by a total of 8 points--2 points to GB and 3 points to NY and the Bears. They won their third straight Playoff (Hinky) Bowl to cap a 12-3 season. Throw in their famous Turkey Day rout of the mighty Packers (GB's only loss of the season) and they might be the best team never to make the postseason.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The Lions and maybe the 2008 Patriots. The 85 Broncos had a lot of talent as well.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Playoff Bowl was dominated by the West, just as the regular season and championship game. 8-2 West.

Lions really blew it with their QB situation. Rote went to Canada after a bad 1959, but played well there and when he came back to the Chargers. Then Morrall had better stats and a better record than Ninowski or Plum, but they kept playing the other guys.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Jay Z wrote:Playoff Bowl was dominated by the West, just as the regular season and championship game. 8-2 West.

Lions really blew it with their QB situation. Rote went to Canada after a bad 1959, but played well there and when he came back to the Chargers. Then Morrall had better stats and a better record than Ninowski or Plum, but they kept playing the other guys.
Schmidt, Lary, and other veterans on that team always insisted they would've won another title or two had they kept Layne instead of trading him two games into the '58 season. Even George Wilson admitted later that he should've traded Rote instead of Layne. Of course, hindsight and all that.